Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Driving Refresher Course for over Seventies

(63 Posts)
Patsy70 Wed 28-Jul-21 21:37:33

Hello everyone. I’m considering taking a refresher driving course as I’m not as confident recently when driving on motorways or in unfamiliar areas. If it works, it would enable me to be more independent, doing things that my OH is not so keen to do. Has anyone else of my age taken one of these courses?

Puzzled Tue 07-Sep-21 00:31:10

Was taught to drive by my father who had passed the driving Examiner's test, (not unlike the PSV that i took and passed from his account )
Having had to drive professionally as part of my job, have rarely been worried, but with increasing years have to admit to being a little less confident (I didn't wear glasses all those years ago)
If driving at night is a concern, have the headlamp alignment checked and if needed, rest.
Just had our cars MOT'd. have never been impressed by the lights. NO wonder!, Set at or below the minimum.
Had them raised to the maximum permissible.
Used them tonight for the first time. A vast improvement.
Tips
Obey the 2 second rule, and look well ahead. In this way for a lot of the time you can control speed by just shutting the throttle rather than dabbing the brakes. It should allow you to stop in an emergency before hitting the vehicle in front!
Keep a good mirror watch, so that you are aware of what is going on around you.

Watch other drivers and you will many who do none of these things! Example, 6 cars collided in Lane 3 of M6, but in the space for 5. No.3 was on the roof of No 4!
Competent driving saves lives, fuel and time

JaneJudge Mon 06-Sep-21 17:35:52

I did a refresher course in my late 20s as I really lacked in confidence and it changed my life smile she took me on the all the routes I was not confident doing, all the things I HAD to do day to day or week to week, driving through city centres, going on motorways, parking. Then she made me drive every single day in between the lessons and report back with anything else I was worried about and we worked on those issues. As I said, it changed my life. I am confident enough to do several hour long journeys and drive on the M25 etc I still think I am a massive overthinker with respect to driving but I don't think that is a bad thing smile

FlexibleFriend Mon 06-Sep-21 17:29:32

If you feel you'd benefit from a refresher course then go for it, it's a great idea to boost your confidence. I'm a bit weird in that I've always loved driving on motorways.

ExDancer Mon 06-Sep-21 17:27:10

I'm conscious that the time is coming when I'll have to decide and it frightens me. We live on a fairly isolated farm and there are no busses, so it will mean taxies everywhere so no spur of the moment visits unless I re-learn to ride my bike. That should be fun! smile

Fennel Mon 06-Sep-21 17:10:26

I'm interested to see that you're 80, ExDancer
I'm 85 now and stopped driving 3 years ago after a near miss.
I'd been driving since I was 24.
But I would love to be able to help out my husband with driving on long journeys. As we will be doing soon. I'm not even sure if my driving licemse is valid.

ExDancer Mon 06-Sep-21 12:25:26

I took an assessment offered by ROSPA, it was free.
A very pleasant young lady sat in with me whilst she took me round town, into car-parks etc. We did the usual manouvers I remembered from my driving test, many years ago. I am 80.
I asked her a lot of questions and she gave me some helpful hints on reverse parking, and also pointed out changes to the highway code.
You don't 'pass' or 'fail' but she gives you a written report afterwards. My weakness is getting too close to the vehicle in front whilst waiting at traffic lights.

henetha Mon 06-Sep-21 10:23:28

Oh , sorry. I meant Patsy70 not pasty!! confused

henetha Mon 06-Sep-21 10:22:33

Yes, I think it's a good idea Pasty70. Lots of us seem to have lost confidence a bit since covid.

Mattsmum2 Sun 05-Sep-21 22:47:39

faringdon59

Yes, I think there should be a re-test at 75.
Recently talking to a friend who knows someone who only has sight in one eye and continues to drive! Worrying!

As far as I know medical professionals and that includes opticians have to inform the DVLA if a patient is unable to drive because of a medical issue.

Imaginethis Sun 05-Sep-21 19:57:03

That’s most interesting, Patsy70. Well done! Thanks to the recommendations here I booked an assessment with the Institute of Advance Motoring which I had yesterday. For various reasons I hadn’t driven for several years. The assessor was very positive and encouraging and I now feel much more confident about getting behind the wheel again.

Patsy70 Sat 04-Sep-21 16:43:34

Well, I promised to update those who are interested on my driving assessment, which happened this afternoon. My instructor is very well recommended and taught two of my granddaughters, who passed first time. I drove for an hour, incorporating a couple of large roundabouts and a busy A road. He prompted me to use my mirrors more, but apart from turning left off an unfamiliar roundabout a little to quickly he said I’d driven confidently with no signs of anxiety and he felt very comfortable. I feel quite exhilarated and am very much looking forward to next Saturday’s motorway lesson and will report back. ?

Patsy70 Mon 02-Aug-21 12:29:04

Thank you everyone for your comments and encouragement. I will definitely update you on the outcome of the initial assessment, which may not happen until the middle of August, as we’re away next week, on a narrow boat in Stratford with the family. ?

Kalu Mon 02-Aug-21 00:20:11

I am still confidently driving at 71, regularly driving on motorways but can’t believe some of the ridiculous dangerous driving by younger generations. No thought whatsoever regarding other people’s safety or their own. I also see more people undertaking, shooting across three lanes and so many younger drivers haven’t a clue who has right of way at a roundabout. Neither have they figured out how to use indicators!

Candelle Sun 01-Aug-21 23:38:46

Patsy70, in our mid-sixties we each took two refresher lessons with the AA. Our rationale was that as fairly new grandparents, we had a huge responsibility when transporting our 'precious cargo' and needed reassurance that our skills were up to scratch, in other words, that we were safe

The lessons very much improved our confidence and enabled us to drive knowing that we were capable drivers.

Your idea is very sensible and I hope you gain the confidence that you seek.

SueDonim Sun 01-Aug-21 21:08:55

Sandelf I meant to say, if you buy a new car then you should ask the dealer to take you out and show you the ropes of your new car. If they’re not willing to do that, take your custom elsewhere.

Jillybird Sun 01-Aug-21 19:54:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SueDonim Sun 01-Aug-21 18:20:27

I agree with Alegrias. I don’t think 70 is particularly old nowadays. My dad worked until he was 73 and my grandad until he was 84! There has been a spate of dreadful road accidents in this area this past week. All males, no one was over the age of 33 and the youngest to die was 18. sad

I’m not near 70 yet but barring the Pandemic Year, I drive 8-10k a year which I hope keeps me in in practise. In 2019, I drove 15k, the length and breadth of the UK, due to a family crisis. I love driving, which is just as well as it’s four miles to the nearest bus stop.

varian Sun 01-Aug-21 18:07:14

Not all older drivers are the same. My mum was a competent driver but decided to limit her driving to local driving after she got to her mid eighties. When she was 94 she suffered a blackout when she was going to the loo during the night and after that gave up driving as she realised that she could not risk having a blackout at the wheel.

sandelf Sun 01-Aug-21 17:05:54

I'd like it to be normal to have a session or two with an instructor when one buys a new car. I'm putting off getting a new one as long as I can so I can benefit from developments in electric vehicles - but I do know that there will be lots of differences to get the hang of when I do make the change.

Grammaretto Sun 01-Aug-21 17:05:36

I agree Aligrias and anyway over 70s have to declare themselves fit and reapply for their licences every 3 years or forfeit them.

Alegrias1 Sun 01-Aug-21 16:38:45

I don't think elderly drivers should be made to take a test, they are safer than young men. Shall we keep young men off the roads until they are 21 instead?

According to the research, male drivers aged 17-21 are three to four times more likely to be involved in accidents than elderly drivers.

And the accidents that old and young drivers are involved in are different in nature.

Young drivers are more likely to be involved in single vehicle accidents caused by speeding or loss of control.

Older drivers tend to be involved in accidents that result in smaller impact collisions, with tight manoeuvres a common cause.

Based on some research from Swansea Uni.

www.mustard.co.uk/blog/elderly-drivers-safer-than-young-drivers/

Grammaretto Sun 01-Aug-21 16:29:46

When someone is joining the motorway from a slip road, I don't always move into the fast lane but slow down and let them in if I think it necessary.
The road rules have changed and are evolving. I heard Grant Shapps recently talking about giving pedestrians and cyclists more priority.
www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/highway-code-changes-walking-cycling-b948347.html
I only hope it works.
There is now "Creep and peep" when joining from a blind junction or side road as part of the driving test.
Lots to learn on a refresher course.

Ramblinggran Sun 01-Aug-21 16:22:56

I had a couple of refresher lessons when I was 70. I was aware that I had developed bad habits over the years and wanted an instructor to put me right. There were a couple things I wasn’t confident about and the instructor was a great help.
Don’t hesitate Patsy70, it will boost your confidence and correct any faults you may have developed after many years of driving.

Zeddy Sun 01-Aug-21 16:09:10

I have only ever had sight in one eye and have ridden a motorcycle for over 10 years and been driving safely for 40 years

Greeneyedgirl Sun 01-Aug-21 15:06:39

Mature drivers assessment was £65 from IAM.