Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

No No - hair removal gadget

(22 Posts)
Nanagee57 Tue 03-Aug-21 08:40:52

It burns the hair via a very weak laser so doesn't pull hair out from the roots.
If you have very fine peach hair it's ok but anything stronger it won't touch it.

Nanagee57 Tue 03-Aug-21 08:38:18

I've got one, wouldn't recommend it.

Esspee Tue 03-Aug-21 08:34:13

Any method which pulls the hair out by the root is good. (Tweezing, waxing, sugaring, epilation1 etc.) as regrowth is soft.
The most permanent methods are laser then electrolysis.
IPL works for some people (you need to have light skin and dark hair)
Shaving and creams are the least satisfactory as you end up with stubble when it grows in.

MissAdventure Mon 02-Aug-21 22:17:32

I'm going to get one, I think.
Meantime, if anyone would really like my 'no no', I'll happily send it to them.

Maggiemaybe Mon 02-Aug-21 22:13:08

I don’t think I’d risk rolling it near my eyes though - I might end up with half an eyebrow. Or no eyelashes.

Maggiemaybe Mon 02-Aug-21 22:08:21

That’s it! It works on the same principle as threading, apparently. Very simple - you sort of bend it and roll it over the hairs and it grabs them and tweaks them out. Once you get used to it it’s very effective. And cheap. smile

MissAdventure Mon 02-Aug-21 19:30:20

Ah yes.
That's worth trying for a quid! smile

Flexagon Mon 02-Aug-21 19:27:47

I think Maggiemaybe's gizmo must be one of these:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrcKU4HakOA

MissAdventure Mon 02-Aug-21 19:21:13

Then cover the raw patches on your skin with concealer? grin

Shinamae Mon 02-Aug-21 19:19:35

I don’t know how it works but looking at it I would say you pull it apart and trap the hair in between the wires and then Jerk!!

Jaxjacky Mon 02-Aug-21 19:17:44

I’ve used an epilator for over 30 years on my legs, the one persistent chin whisker gets the tweezers.

MissAdventure Mon 02-Aug-21 19:06:02

Now then.
What is that, and how does it work, please?

Maggiemaybe Mon 02-Aug-21 19:02:05

I’ve got one of these little beauties, which cost around £1 from Amazon. Nips a bit but keeps my upper lip and chin in good order. smile

MissAdventure Mon 02-Aug-21 17:56:08

The no no isn't an epilator.
It emits some sort of light pulse when you use it, alongside a smell of burning hair.
I inherited my mum's no no, but as lazy as it is, I've not used it enough to comment.
I do know it's more for peach fuzz rather than the big dark wiry hairs.

midgey Mon 02-Aug-21 17:16:42

I remember when somebody on Woman’s Hour tested out various methods of hair removal. Suffice it to say that when she tried the epilator there was a lot of bleeping?. Still makes me laugh years later!

Notinthemanual Mon 02-Aug-21 17:05:51

Polyester57 Thank you for posting your experience with epilators. I shall have a look online at the Panasonic one too.

Thank you to the other grans for joining in, but I really wanted to hear from someone who has used one.

shysal Mon 02-Aug-21 08:01:14

I have read that they are rubbish. Like most things that seem too good to be true, I think it is!`

DanniRae Mon 02-Aug-21 07:58:48

I think that No No is the name of the make polyester and I don't think it is a shaver or an epilator.....but not sure how it works. Maybe heat??

polyester57 Mon 02-Aug-21 07:17:54

Yes, I have used them for the past thirty years and definitely would recommend. Slight discomfort at first but that goes after few uses as hair roots become weaker. I used it on my legs and in the underarm area, no problems, no skin damage - there is a shield. Now, hair hardly grows so only need to use it a few times over the summer. The make I have now is a Panasonic, it can be used as a shaver as well as an epilator.

Charleygirl5 Mon 02-Aug-21 07:04:57

The reviews I have seen I think on Amazon have not been particularly good whereas on Ideal World it is the best thing since sliced bread. I personally would stay well clear.

BigBertha1 Mon 02-Aug-21 06:51:57

I wouldn't even try it....looks like it could cause skin damage.

Notinthemanual Mon 02-Aug-21 06:33:59

Has any one used one of these. If so, would you recommend it.