Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Granparenting Dilemma

(10 Posts)
NanaTuesday Wed 04-Aug-21 00:28:26

Every year for the last 4yrs we’ve taken various of our Grandchildren on holiday . This year was 4 Children last year only 2. It was a bonus that all four came . My S& D Children. Omg I have no idea what’s going on here. First off my Daughter calls her Brother re safety at sea as she had let her two girls play in the sea when there was an undercurrent the week before . In all the years we’ve taken the children there have been no problems, my husband supervises & they all know to stay within the flags , not that they are on their own as they are always with us both . This was a major issue for her & I understand. However it was never ever mentioned to me directly, only in a family WhatsApp group. To which I responded they were always supervised .
Issue 2
The same D telephoned the GC not once but two, three times a day . . Don’t get me wrong ,I wasn’t not wanting her to speak to them just not all the time . They were away with us & perfectly fine , we sent whattsapp photos all the time & telephoned. It got to the point where I ignored calls. Added to this they’d been given an iPad & unbeknown to us were calling home constantly!
Issue 3
My Husband was asked by SIL if I “ favoured my DS child over my DD Two !
DD & SIL came to collect GC at the wkend . It was cringeworthy. We had left the beach for a stroll to the shops when they arrived my DS was on beach but they just left him in search of us . Like they could just wait for us to return .
It’s getting so that it’s uncomfortable. If I ask one child something & not the other DD will jump in if I praise one child or comment the children seem to be programmed to defend each other by saying things like “ it’s ok if she’s vegetarian , people can be vegetarian “ when I’ve just said we have vegetarian sausages for instance . That may not sound a lot to worry about but it’s a constant round of things like this .It seems like the GC are questioned about who/ what/ where etc & I seem to be watching what I say , not that I say anything untoward. My DS on the other hand is more laid back . Though he is also here he joined us only for a few days as his holiday is a few miles away .
I think my DD has a FOMO for her Children. If anything I favour the eldest a teenager who wasn’t with us that week but is now .
The whole thing upsets me as I feel I can’t say or do anything .
Does anyone else experience this type of thing ?

CafeAuLait Wed 04-Aug-21 00:44:01

It does sound messy. I'm not sure what the best approach is. If they don't trust you, it's going to be difficult no matter what. I'd consider something like taking each sibling group separately, if that might help. Though that won't necessarily get you out of accusations of favouring one of the children over another. Probably you just have to set your own boundaries about what you are willing to do, how it will work (i.e., no calls 2-3 times a day, maybe once at an agreed time), and then leave the ball in their court as to whether they accept it or not.

denbylover Wed 04-Aug-21 01:21:43

Excellent advise from CafeAuLait.

freedomfromthepast Wed 04-Aug-21 02:04:12

Is this normal behavior for her? Did something happen in the last year that would cause her to have anxiety surrounding her kids?

I would hesitate to set boundaries with her kids. That is a first class ticket to never being able to take those kids on holiday. I would invite her to dinner and ask her how you can help her feel more comfortable when you have the kids on holiday.

Madgran77 Wed 04-Aug-21 05:21:44

I wonder if she has been emotionally affected by the pandemic?

*Increased apparently OTT anxiety about her children?
*Focus on a perceived imbalance/favouritism and looking for things to "prove" her theory!?
*Possibly making comments about you/perceived criticisms from you to her children ...(or them overhearing) conversations) ...the kids response re vegetarian sausages suggest that they are feeling that they have to justify/block potential/expected criticism before it happens!?

The question from SIL is very significant ...clearly the narrative from your daughter is "favouritism", whether fair or not. You might find it helpful to consider various events over time from HER perspective/how events might have looked to HER, however they were meant or viewed by you may not be the same.

Coming to find you seems reasonable to me ...they probably wanted to see their kids having not seen them for a few days (I assume kids were on the stroll with you)

I think the suggestion of a chat about how to make her feel more comfortable when you take kids away is a good one. Also though, I would ask her why SIL asked that question of husband. Ask her if she feels that DSs kids are favoured? Ask her to explain what has made her feel that way. And really listen. Try not to justify, explain, just listen until she has finished. Then tell her you need a bit if time to think about what she has said, thank her for explaining and leave it at that. Arrange another time to follow up, and really try not to let your emotions/sense of unfair accusation (if you feel that) get in the way of discussing the way forward.

Good luck. I do sympathise, a difficult position to be in flowers

Sara1954 Wed 04-Aug-21 06:45:52

I have one daughter living three hours away with three children, one son, unmarried, one daughter who is living with us at the moment with three children.
You have no idea of the jealousy and resentment involved, lockdown obviously hasn’t helped because we’ve seen so much less of them.
Daughter one has openly accused us of favouring the other children, they took their three on an amazing holiday, daughter two couldn’t afford a holiday so we said we would rent an apartment at the seaside for a week, daughter one welcome to join us, she kicked off so badly, that we cancelled it, apparently no concerns that her little nieces and nephew wouldn’t have a holiday.
I have to watch everything I say, avoid telling her things, it’s very wearing.
My husband says she’ll be like this until daughter two moves out, what she fails to understand is, that it’s not easy for us with them living here, and she makes it harder.
I partly get it, because she’s always had this massive fear of missing out, but she’s the one who moved away.
I really feel for you, it seems you can’t do right for doing wrong, but sadly I don’t know what the answer is.
I’m not sure about the chat idea, I think it could open a massive can of worms, and things might be said that can’t be taken back.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 04-Aug-21 09:21:26

How sad Sara that you cancelled your holiday so the children living with you didn’t have a holiday at all, just to appease your other very selfish daughter who took her kids on an ‘amazing’ holiday. I hope you don’t do that again.

Madgran77 Wed 04-Aug-21 09:43:28

I’m not sure about the chat idea, I think it could open a massive can of worms, and things might be said that can’t be taken back.

The trouble is that unless a chat happens and therefore acknowledges there is a problem, I think the whole issue gets bigger and bigger with more and more negative impact on a wider group of people.

It is so sad Sara that your nieces and nephews missed out because of your other daughters issues. The message given there might seem to her to be "shout loud and get my own way" and to your other daughter who missed out on the holiday " if ......shouts loud enough, her shouting takes priority over everyone else!"

I truly do understand how difficult this is, and how wearing, having experienced similar. I learnt the hard way that one person getting their own way doesn't work, it makes things worse for everyone. So sorry that you and Nanatuesday are going through this flowers

Sara1954 Wed 04-Aug-21 10:45:32

Madgran
Thanks for your comments, I completely understand what you mean by having a conversation, but cowardly as I am, I feel that there would be so many accusations thrown, that it would be very hard to get past it.
Daughter two is very easy going, and she too tries to keep the peace, she hates confrontation.
It’s not bad all the time to be fair, she goes through phases, and then we’re all meant to second guess what’s wrong.
We all love her, and I think it stems from unhappiness, so we try not to rock the boat.

Madgran77 Wed 04-Aug-21 11:46:49

Sara1954 I can see that process. Its hard isn't it. Onwards and upwards eh!