Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Son in law - dislike

(107 Posts)
Chookstar73 Mon 13-Sep-21 12:43:22

Hi all
We have a daughter who has changed from being a huge off the bone meat eater to meeting her partner and now has turned vegan. All the things she has been bought up on have gone out the window to join the partners view. We have five children and all have beautiful, polite and respectful partners and have bought us many fantastic grandchildren to the world.
How can one person come into her life, change her dramatically to follow his views and values and forget the wonderful things we have given her. We feel he has manipulated her and all the other children dislike him especially what he is doing to her.
I feel like I don’t want to be around her as every time I cry as I feel I have totally lost connection.
I’m so upset and don’t know what to do ?

Norah Fri 17-Sep-21 15:31:45

Chookstar73 Have you found a way to tolerate the food choices of your adult D?

Madgran77 Thu 16-Sep-21 18:43:00

Maine52 you need to start a new thread. To do thatclick on "Forums" at top of page; choose which forum you want to post in from list (Grandparenting? Relationships? Ask a Gran? could be appropriate?) Click on that forum in the list. Then click on "start a new thread" at top of page, choose title for your thread then you can type in what you want to say. Then press post at bottom of page

Lucca Wed 15-Sep-21 22:53:26

Maine52. You should maybe start a new thread ?

Maine52 Wed 15-Sep-21 22:51:09

Hi everyone
My daughtet immigrated to Ireland from South Africa 3 years ago, when my grandson was 2. I was very close to him as i was his caregiver before the immigration. After visiting the first year he remenbered ne and we were still close.
Since Covid i have been unable to visit. He is now 5 and wont even speak to me on the telephone. He gets rude and cheeky.
Is this a 5 year old thingl Have i lost my close connection to him.
He us a very spolt little boy. Has this contributed to his behaviour.
My daughter is about to have a 2nd baby who i will be unable to bond with. I feel like i have lost my family. I have no other children.
I hope to visit in November.sad

Smileless2012 Wed 15-Sep-21 22:18:33

Really Bibbity, you were joking. Well exclamation marks usually denote a strong reaction/opinion and lol or grin is what people normally put to show they're joking.

I'm not trying to fight her corner, just respond without having a laugh at her expense.

Madgran77 Wed 15-Sep-21 21:26:11

My point being that the use of the "off the bone meat eater" phrase does not suggest its just a made up post ... I think it is likely that Chookstar will not return ...either because she has been put off by the way the thread has gone or because she has calmed down and found a way through it all for herself.

If you are still around Chookstar I hope that the latter is the case

Callistemon Wed 15-Sep-21 21:25:18

I think so - I think there is an Australian restaurant called Chookstar

So it is!
We could have all visited on a Gransnet meet-up but we can't go to Australia.

Amberone Wed 15-Sep-21 21:12:33

An Australian phrase I believe

I think so - I think there is an Australian restaurant called Chookstar

it just takes one early on to doubt a thread starter and all the sheep follow...........what utter nastiness...

I expect you know best

#NastySheep

Madgran77 Wed 15-Sep-21 20:41:42

'being a huge off the bone meat eater

An Australian phrase I believe

lemsip Wed 15-Sep-21 20:02:05

it just takes one early on to doubt a thread starter and all the sheep follow...........what utter nastiness.... no need to post if you don't believe it is there.

welbeck Wed 15-Sep-21 19:11:27

Chookstar probably work for an advertising agency, pumping up traffic with goady scenarios.
marks out of ten ? 7.

Amberone Wed 15-Sep-21 18:58:40

Lucca

A. I don’t think this is real.

B. If it were real I’d say Chookstar sounds quite strong enough in her views to withstand a few criticisms on Gransnet.

I don't think it's real either. Don't know why, can't quite put my finger on it. Might be something to do with the phrase 'being a huge off the bone meat eater', or the way it is written. I may be wrong, in which case I hope the Op hasn't totally alienated her daughter by now.

Bibbity Wed 15-Sep-21 18:33:52

Get a grip. I can't speak for anyone else but I certainly can not offer comfort or support past "don't be so ridiculous."

And Smiless I was joking. Because you are all trying to fight her corner but still haven't come up with any other crimes committed.

Elless Wed 15-Sep-21 15:28:08

'All the things she has been bought up on have gone out the window to join the partners view. '

Norah Wed 15-Sep-21 13:31:21

I didn't read logical reasons to dislike OP's s.i.l in the post.

Norah Wed 15-Sep-21 13:28:35

OP didn't explain, other than changing to vegan, anything D or s.i.l have done to cause dislike.

Smileless2012 Wed 15-Sep-21 12:38:24

Chookstar didn't describe her s.i.l. as a "filthy vegan" Bibbity but hey, if it's not enough to turn her concerns into a joke accuse her of posting things she hasn't.

Lucca Wed 15-Sep-21 12:23:08

A. I don’t think this is real.

B. If it were real I’d say Chookstar sounds quite strong enough in her views to withstand a few criticisms on Gransnet.

ExDancer Wed 15-Sep-21 12:06:23

I don't imagine Choostar ever expected. such a load of criticism to descend on her, because it seems she was looking for comfort and kindness as she's obviously distressed over the new veganism.
I hope she is brave enough to put her head over the parapet and let us know why she's so upset.
And I hope she gets some more sympathetic replies.

March Wed 15-Sep-21 11:18:27

Surely that's what happens when you grow up?
The things you were raised on were your parents views and ways and not your own, so when you get older you grown and change.

Unless they are ramming down your throat then I wouldn't let it get to you.

Bibbity Wed 15-Sep-21 10:40:46

Elless So what were the other points she made?

Because I only saw one. Which was the fact her child. That she raised so perfectly had been converted by a filthy vegan!!!!!!!

It's not a massive change in a person. It's just food.

And I personally find someone getting their knickers in a twist over this absolutely ridiculous and yes. Quiet a bit funny.

Silverbridge Wed 15-Sep-21 10:36:42

Disgusted? One of the points? Veganism is the only point the OP has made about why she dislikes this man. The rest is just conjecture unless she explains more ... and she hasn't.

Smileless2012 Wed 15-Sep-21 10:25:32

I agree Elless especially when the OP posted "I feel as if I don't want to be around her as every time I cry as I feel I have totally lost connection".

It may be felt that the OP's reaction is OTT and totally unreasonable but I don't see that there's anything here to joke about.

Elless Wed 15-Sep-21 10:17:47

I am disgusted by the way everyone has turned this into a joke about turning vegan. Why has everyone jumped onto the vegan bandwagon, it is just one of the points that Chookstar73 has started her post with and the way (almost) everyone has reacted to, I'm not surprised she hasn't responded. As I said my story is very similar and my ES turning vegan is not important I was stating it amongst other things, before we estranged he did state that he was surprised how tasty some of his wife's meal were, so good on him, it's the whole 180 turn that is confusing.

annodomini Tue 14-Sep-21 20:18:02

One of my DSs has become a born-again vegan and is quite militant about it - often sending me links to articles about why veganism is saving the planet! Pain in the neck! But he is still my DS and I love him. I shrug my shoulders and have a laugh about it with my other DS who is an unapologetic carnivore. I occupy the middle ground as a vegetarian. If we have a family get-together, we cater for all tastes and some of his vegan cooking is delicious.