Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How often do you shower/bathe?

(162 Posts)
Newquay Mon 20-Sep-21 09:15:10

We had bath taken out and a lovely walk in shower installed.
I tend to shower and wash hair every other day.
Although I like feeling fresh and doing hair I’m beginning to find the whole thing a right performance especially cleaning down the screen and floors afterwards.
Sometimes DH goes in after me so he does it then.

Luckygirl Fri 15-Oct-21 09:15:12

I have a bath once or twice a day - you can't be serious!!!

Esspee Thu 14-Oct-21 23:20:41

I have a bath once or twice a day finishing with a shower twice a week when washing my hair. Our water is beautifully soft so doesn’t mark the shower enclosures much at all. As a result I clean them when I notice they need it.
I cannot understand why anyone would need to wash their hair daily unless they had a dirty job (like coal mining).

Callistemon Thu 14-Oct-21 23:09:03

A hairdresser I used to go to said we wash our hair far too frequently; she said once a week is enough but conceded that twice is ok.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Oct-21 23:04:41

Exactly what the woman I mentioned says.
Washing away all the natural oils, then paying a fortune trying to replicate them.

Luckygirl Thu 14-Oct-21 22:36:13

I am very lucky indeed to have non-wrinkly skin - it is part heredity, partly never smoking, but also I think due to the fact that I have always only used water on my face. No soap. I stick a bit of Olay on it each morning and that is it.

I really do think that many people simply wash too much - use too much hot water - use too many "products" (most of which are advert-generated in terms of "need"). It is not as if most of us are doing manual jobs that make us drip in sweat.

I can see that someone in a manual job would need to shower each day, but mostly folk are washing off nothing!

MissAdventure Thu 14-Oct-21 18:24:45

shock
I'm horrified!
Nah, not really.
One of the most youthful women I know baths or showers rarely, and she has marvellous skin.

Luckygirl Thu 14-Oct-21 17:47:46

I am sure that you would be shocked if I told you how seldom I shower. I feel very insecure in the shower as I am very short-sighted; I do not bath as I cannot get in and out without pain.

I also cannot be bothered to wash my hair more frequently than it needs - and it is hard not to finish up washing your hair when you are in the shower.

I think it is possible to wash too much! - seriously, your skin has its own eco-system which does not need to be disturbed every day!

I do not wash down my shower with anything except water - I have a biodigester which does not like bleach, and, even if I was on mains drainage, our rivers do not need all this dreadful stuff discharged into them.

And using showers every day is wasteful of water, wasteful of power to heat the water, and accumulates plastic waste from the bottle of stuff used.

I do not smell - I use a very good deodorant stick (Mitchum unscented), each day I wash what my mother called "the bits that matter", and I inspect my clothes for any smells before I put them on. No-one has complained of me being dirty or smelly. I have an ultra sensitive nose and would notice this myself.

I do not think all this washing is needed.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Oct-21 17:30:55

Reported.

quin12 Thu 14-Oct-21 16:03:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Callistemon Tue 05-Oct-21 22:06:51

?

MissAdventure Tue 05-Oct-21 22:04:26

Good on you! stinker grin

Callistemon Tue 05-Oct-21 20:42:37

MissAdventure

I'd never dream of asking someone in person how often they bath or shower.
Frankly, I don't care.

I don't mind telling you that I haven't had a bath for at least 18 months, MissA

I just can't be bothered ?

lemongrove Tue 05-Oct-21 20:05:44

lincs I thang kew! However can’t claim it for mine own, as it’s attributed ( quite wrongly am sure) to Queen Elizabeth (Tudor!)

That was so obliging of you Germanshepherdsmum ?we are really going to have to shorten your name btw.

grannyqueenie Tue 05-Oct-21 18:57:04

Very good advice gsmum! ?

Lincslass Tue 05-Oct-21 18:42:08

lemongrove

MissAdventure

Frankly, I don't care.

Me neither, and am just waiting for someone to write.....
‘Once a year, whether I need it or not’!?

????

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Oct-21 18:38:44

I always find it best to look around the house without my specs gq. I only put them on when visitors are expected ?

grannyqueenie Tue 05-Oct-21 18:11:57

There’s nothing quite like a Gransnet thread like this to make me think that my dedication to domestic tasks may be sadly lacking. Yet it all looks absolutely fine to me. Oh and yes I do shower every day!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Oct-21 17:58:36

OK Lemon, let me make your day! Only once a year, whether I need it or not!???
Actually I find the shower more of a pain to clean than the bath (annually of course).

lemongrove Tue 05-Oct-21 17:30:04

On the subject of cleaning in the bathroom, a shower is much easier to keep clean than a bath IMHO.

lemongrove Tue 05-Oct-21 17:28:54

MissAdventure

Frankly, I don't care.

Me neither, and am just waiting for someone to write.....
‘Once a year, whether I need it or not’!?

marymary62 Tue 05-Oct-21 17:07:49

Yes don’t overdo those chemicals ! My sis in law just uses a window scraper type thing after each shower and it seems fine . My husband uses the quadrant shower when he showers - every other day maybe and it’s a real pain to clean (he does it though ... so only when it’s horrid !) the shower I use just has one flat glass door and that is way easier to clean - just a quick wipe with mirror fibre cloth. Rarely use sprays as can’t stand them but on occasion I use the dettol spray on mould remover and it’s fab. I don’t shower as much as I did when I worked but usually it’s at least every other day , hair is only once a week now - the less I’ve washed it the less it needs and I’m super lazy and it’s long enough to just tie it up !

Smurf52 Tue 05-Oct-21 16:54:48

I shower twice a week. The rest of the time I just wash pits and bits.

Craftycat Fri 01-Oct-21 21:30:24

I shower every morning & have a bath about 3 times a week in the evening. I like to take a book with me. I love reading in the bath with lots of bubbles.

silverlining48 Tue 28-Sep-21 13:51:26

My Nan only had just one cold tap in the house. It was in the scullery where they also washed the dirty dishes, their clothes and hair.
She never had a bath in her 95 years but washed every day using water heated on the stove. What’s more I don’t think deodorant was invented yet she always smelled fresh and clean. I think feet were dealt with using a bowl of water.
As a child we bathed and had a hair wash ( and clean underwear!) once a week, generally using the same water as other family members. The toilet at the end of the garden...many spiders....am really showing my age. wink

jocork Tue 28-Sep-21 13:32:25

MayBeMaw

My mum used to refer to a “stand up wash” as a “lick and a promise”
How she could get stand on one leg her feet into the sink was an image I would rather forget.

My mum washed like that for years as she lived alone and couldn't have a bath without someone around as she suffered from epilepsy so could have a fit in the bath and drown. Even when much younger I struggled to wash my feet in the washbasin. Trying that now would be interesting but probably very dangerous!