Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Tiredness at 63

(66 Posts)
Beau1958 Mon 20-Sep-21 15:42:11

I’m 63 fairly healthy but I get tired very easily. I sleep ok, I’ve had blood tests all normal but after I’ve done my housework in the morning I’m exhausted I have to sit down and rest. By 10pm I’m more than ready for bed and don’t get up till around 7.30. Is this normal ? is this an age thing ?

Hetty58 Tue 21-Sep-21 11:11:41

It might be worth having a test for sleep apnoea. You just borrow a monitor to wear overnight.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 21-Sep-21 11:12:52

I retired at 67 from a job as a support worker, I would hsve stayed on longer, but my body was starting to complain (aching, etc). I'm 77 now and do get tired, but I think that's long covid from the covid I had last month. I still ache nd that does slow me down sadly.

polnan Tue 21-Sep-21 11:22:37

we are all different,, but it helps me, mentally to come here and find that I am NOT alone, ie. though I am lonely and live alone, and still trying to adjust to both, it so helps me to hear that others are like me...

I have aged, mentally, 20 years, since this pandemic, and as much as I try to just get on with life, (and change to suit changed circumstances) I think, subliminally, sort of thingy, this pandemic still affects us all, in a subtleish way... my wording,, cos I think that in a few years time, it may be discovered, realised the side effects of the pandemic, not whether or not a person has had the virus,, over all..

just me, praps I think too much!

NanaPlenty Tue 21-Sep-21 11:23:53

I’m 62 and often feel exhaustion too. I do have under active thyroid which I know doesn’t help also arthritis which when it’s bad definitely makes me tired. I think the pandemic had a knock on effect and somehow don’t feel back to ‘normal’ or even know what that is now! I try and pace myself and rest when I need to. I definitely think motivation plays a big part too - if you can find something your really interested in or even when you just go somewhere you enjoy you always feel better.

theoldgran26 Tue 21-Sep-21 11:24:47

Have you had a Thyroid Function analysis (blood test)? By the time mine was discovered, I could hardly put one foot in front of the other. Good Luck.

lemongrove Tue 21-Sep-21 11:33:57

MerylStreep

I’m 75. Still do all the decorating. I keep my garden immaculate and look after 2 other gardens and my daughters when needed.
I believe it’s a combination of my B12 injections and I’ve always had a high energy level and strength.

May I come and live with you ( in your guest room)?I could do with a restful break....and would enjoy watching you zooming around.

Beau I’m a lot older than you but age is just a number, as it all depends on health and how stressed a person is.
Have your thyroid function checked, if you haven’t already done so.Take vitamin supplements, eat well, and if you need a rest then have one.Try not to sleep for long in the afternoons,
A short cat nap ( or power nap as I like to call it) works wonders as does a dose of fresh air, so a quick walk or some gardening.

Bigirl57 Tue 21-Sep-21 11:36:27

Blood test only show so much you need to go back to your doctor ( I know it’s easier said than done) and ask for more test you could be lacking vitamin B12

lemongrove Tue 21-Sep-21 11:36:29

polnan

we are all different,, but it helps me, mentally to come here and find that I am NOT alone, ie. though I am lonely and live alone, and still trying to adjust to both, it so helps me to hear that others are like me...

I have aged, mentally, 20 years, since this pandemic, and as much as I try to just get on with life, (and change to suit changed circumstances) I think, subliminally, sort of thingy, this pandemic still affects us all, in a subtleish way... my wording,, cos I think that in a few years time, it may be discovered, realised the side effects of the pandemic, not whether or not a person has had the virus,, over all..

just me, praps I think too much!

flowers smile Hope things improve soon for you polnan
I think the pandemic has aged a lot of us.

pigsmayfly. Tue 21-Sep-21 11:43:19

The odd bird talking to the Doctor is a good idea but knowing how lots of women in their 60s feel gives some helpful input too. We all stand to learn something, surely?

Audi10 Tue 21-Sep-21 11:43:45

I have hypothyroidism , I’m 64 years old, I get up around 6.30 do housework etc, go to bed around 11.30 Pm, although I’m sitting down in between certain chores, I wouldn’t say I’m tired, I think it depends on the amount of housework etc you are doing, and the quantity

Grandma2002 Tue 21-Sep-21 11:46:19

I am 80 but all the same I was concerned when I found myself breathless and tired. I had a blood test and found I was anaemic. Doctor prescribed iron pills and after 3 days I was full of energy and no longer breathless. Also, you need to pace yourself when doing housework, sit occasionally. My husband always says "Look after yourself!" If you have retired you need to give yourself a challenge now and then. It is surprising how invigorating it is.

Greciangirl Tue 21-Sep-21 11:55:16

Well, I am 76 and I always feel tired.
I don’t sleep very well, which is probably the reason, but I’m sure the majority of us do slow down as we age.

I would love to have more energy. If I did, then I would be more active and sociable.
A lot of my friends are out and about most days doing all sorts.
I’m quite envious really and wish I could be the same.

lizzypopbottle Tue 21-Sep-21 12:05:09

My mother was tired all the time. Her male GP took a blood sample for thyroid deficiency a couple of times and it came back 'normal' but his wife (also a GP in the same practice) suggested it might not be normal for her and she prescribed thyroxine. My mother was a new woman!

Beau1958 Tue 21-Sep-21 12:18:28

Thanks for all your lovely comments. Housework is only a couple of hours in the morning just tidying up etc. I don’t feel sleepy tired just fatigued. I’m definitely going to check by B12 I’m on a restricted diet due to stomach issues but take vitamins and nutritional drink prescribed by my doctor. I’ve had my thyroid checked and a full blood count all normal. Some days are better than others sounds like we are all different I just don’t have the energy levels I used to have

Oofy Tue 21-Sep-21 12:27:11

Am guessing your doctor checked for diabetes?
We are, of course, all different. Can only tell you my experience. I’m not diabetic, though always worry about it because of a family history.
I hadn’t realised tiredness had crept up on me, but decided to cut out sugar, cakes, biscuits, bread, sweetened granola, chocolate to lose the stone I had put on in lockdown, and to up the plant-based food.
I was amazed how much more energy I had. Stopped nodding off after meals, or in front of the tv.
And I lost the stone, now a stone and a half and counting!

Helenlouise3 Tue 21-Sep-21 12:38:26

I'll be 64 in December and still work full time in a classroom of 32 4 year olds. I get up at 6.15am and walk around 2 miles before I start work. I go up to bed around 9.45 and read for around 30 45 mins. Saturday is me time. I go to town for a stroll and a coffee and knit/crochet etc when I get home. Sunday morning I'm busy ironing and making a roast dinner, but when that's cleared away I sit down until bed time. I find this works for me although by Friday morning, I'm very tired.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 21-Sep-21 12:47:19

Beau, you have consulted your doctor who says there is nothing wrong, but has made no helpful suggestions about getting over your tiredness, as far as I can see.

So either you plague the doctor until she or he comes up with something that helps, or you accept that there is no physical cause for this tiredness.

Which leads me to ask, could there be an emotional cause?

Do you, like me, enjoy housework? It is usually the things we don't like doing that make us tired.

Are you worried about anything? Feeling lonely. Bored? Is there something you feel or know you should be doing that you don't want to do?

The answers to these questions are, of course, not my business, but I would like to suggest that you ask yourself them seriously and answer them - if not at once, after careful thought.

You see, feeling tired is an acceptable reason to shove worries to the back of your mind, and an even better reason for not doing a whole host of other things.

However, my experience has always been that I go on feeling tired until I have confronted the issue that is bothering me and either solved it or started taking steps to solve it.

A lot of people find sleeping from 10.30 to 7.30 normal, so why are you asking about it? Did you use to stay up much later or get up earlier?

I never go to bed at 10.30, so I am not the right person to ask about this, but I have sometimes felt, "Oh, dear, will this day never end, so I can go to bed?" if something has upset me.

So please consider whether you tiredness could be caused by something other than a physical cause.

I hope you manage to defeat the tiredness and enjoy life again, because it sounds to me as if you aren't really enjoying yourself right now.

dustyangel Tue 21-Sep-21 13:02:00

Very true that it helps to come on here and find out that I am not alone in whatever Polnan. I also agree with you about the Pandemic affecting us all subliminally. We’ve had GD visiting for the first time in a couple of years. She’s 30, single and has been lucky enough to stay fit and well since we last saw her, but even so after she’d had her test to make sure she was safe to travel home, she came in to me and specifically said, “ I haven’t got Covid.” As of I had been weighing on her mind that somewhere, somehow she could have contracted it.

dustyangel Tue 21-Sep-21 13:12:05

I meant it had been playing on her mind, not me of course.

MayBee70 Tue 21-Sep-21 13:13:59

I’m sure I read years ago that your thyroid level can appear normal but the level that they regard as normal may still mean you need thyroxine.

Madashell Tue 21-Sep-21 13:28:40

Could you be depressed? I have friends who reckon that when they got into their 60s they really hit the decks emotionally. Entering the third age can be a tough time especially when the future becomes shorter. Seeing a Homeopath really helped me, that and freeing myself from the tyranny of housework. Good wishes to you.

BoFlo Tue 21-Sep-21 13:29:43

You could talk to your GP about HRT? If you’re not already on it. Thankfully things have changed, I would strongly advise researching it, lack of hormones can be the cause of endless ailments that we’re told is ‘Normal’ for our age ☹️

Casdon Tue 21-Sep-21 14:13:26

It’s worth trying what Oofy suggested I think, I’m trying to cut down on sugar at the moment as I had been comfort eating in the lockdowns and put some weight on. Less sugar does seem to equal more energy for me, and I’m a similar age to you.

Borrheid55 Tue 21-Sep-21 14:32:58

Last year I started falling asleep while sitting in the chair, most unlike me. I have an under active thyroid so put it down to that. However, a blood test showed that I was very low in B vitamins. Ive been on Folic Acid tablets ever since. I stopped for a while and the levels dropped considerably so I am on them permanently.

red1 Tue 21-Sep-21 14:48:57

i was told by people when i was in my 50s,by people who were older, that around late 50s you start to get tired easier,im 65 now and have to pace myself ,ive minor health problems but in good nick.The mind can still be stuck in the past, i let my body take the lead now, if it says no, then time to ease back.