Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Tiredness at 63

(66 Posts)
Beau1958 Mon 20-Sep-21 15:42:11

I’m 63 fairly healthy but I get tired very easily. I sleep ok, I’ve had blood tests all normal but after I’ve done my housework in the morning I’m exhausted I have to sit down and rest. By 10pm I’m more than ready for bed and don’t get up till around 7.30. Is this normal ? is this an age thing ?

icanhandthemback Tue 21-Sep-21 14:54:39

Get your Vitamin D levels checked as well as B12. I had low vitamin D (some people just don't absorb it too well) and a course of high doses of Vit D made a big difference to my fatigue levels.

Greciangirl Tue 21-Sep-21 15:38:40

Believe me: when you hit your seventies, things really start to slow down. Unfortunately.

pooohbear2811 Tue 21-Sep-21 15:49:34

funnily enough I attended the gp a while back with the same thing,. Wasnt just tired but bone-weary, every joint in my body aching and just felt I could not put one foot in front of another. full barrage of blood tests later but nothing out of the ordinary.
GP suggested I listen to my body and if it wants to stop then stop. Not overly easy at work right enough but stopped pushing myself at home. Cycling nearer the 10 mile mark rather than the 20 I was doing. Do 1 mile on my treadmill instead of 3 etc.

queenofsaanich69 Tue 21-Sep-21 15:57:00

The trouble with blood test is normal stretches from low normal to high,so you could be border line.My husband has low B12 and we know when he needs his injection as he suddenly feels exhausted,he has to have it every 5 weeks.Maybe try a Naturopath,I have only been a few times but each time they cured my problem which my Doctor didn’t,just a thought,
it is not normal to be so exhausted,plus Covid taught me I was cleaning too much before !Hope you feel better soon,look after yourself.

MayBee70 Tue 21-Sep-21 16:18:59

I like the term bone weary. I’ve not been able to describe how I feel these days but that sums it up nicely. Especially in my legs.

TerriBull Tue 21-Sep-21 17:02:08

I've been tired ever since I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid in my 40s, I take 150 mcg of Thyroxine this has never been a silver bullet in minimising tiredness. Although once the menopause kicked in a decade later that exacerbated the feeling of weariness too. Over the years since being on GN have read many threads on the subject so it does seem this is not uncommon for women of a certain age. Sometimes HRT is the answer. I had problems with it. My doctor also advised me I was deficient in vitamin D, so I make sure that I take that daily. I try and exercise, today I went swimming quite early and that made me feel better. On a personal note, I find carbohydrates, particularly bread makes me feel tired, so I try and limit my intake, which is hard because I love it.

Do have all the necessary tests Op good luck.

harrysgran Tue 21-Sep-21 19:55:24

I'm 64 and still working 4 days a week in a demanding job I feel constantly tired up at 6 sleep at 9 I've had blood tests but nothing conclusive however my vitamin D was low so I'm now taking medication in the hope things will improve

welbeck Wed 22-Sep-21 04:14:01

MayBee70

I’m sure I read years ago that your thyroid level can appear normal but the level that they regard as normal may still mean you need thyroxine.

what about the other way; do some people naturally have or function on a lower than usual level.
this is what one GP whom i respected said to me. then she retired. younger GP suggested i take thyroxine, but i have resisted doing so, as i believe my level is borderline.
i believe once you start taking it, it is forever.
and i don't seem to have the usual symptoms: weight gain, well only a little; nor thinning hair, i don't think.

welbeck Wed 22-Sep-21 04:17:27

i do feel tired though. but don't sleep well, which is partly psychological, got into bad habits. and distraction.
and i don't eat meat, so maybe lacking vitamin b12 ?
i do take a multivitamin tablet, also vit d3 with calcium.
and macusheild, meant to be good for the eyes.

dogsmother Wed 22-Sep-21 07:23:34

Welbeck....I believe you are wise.
I too have been on thyroxine since my 20s and I am the same barely any extra weight I try to monitor what I eat because of it probably. But it does make me nervous seeing the comments on this thread as it’s a serious drug that can have long term effects on you you.

Beau1958 Wed 22-Sep-21 08:55:14

Grandtante I think your right I am fed up and bored. My OH works and my daughter has moved away with my two beautiful grandsons. I have health problems hence the restrictive diet. I am thinking of taking anti depressants this may help with my tiredness and lack of motivation. It’s a vicious circle I’m too tired to exercise or go for a walk sometimes but maybe I’m depressed.

justwokeup Wed 22-Sep-21 09:10:28

welbeck, 30 years experience makes me think that the accepted 'normal' range for thyroxine levels is deceptive! One person I know turns into the Incredible Hulk with levels on the 'a bit on the high side of normal' and is a lovely person who functions really well on the low side. The dosage of thyroxine given by a GP is also heavy-handed, they really have no idea how minute quantities can make such a difference to all aspects of someone's life.
Beau1958 I think there is an age that you feel older around your sixties, and probably that age varies from person to person, but you suddenly realise you don't have the energy you had. And yet, like others have said if you have an interesting full day you don't lack in energy at all, but boy do you know about it the following day! Do as much as you can, rest if you need to, and accept this is nature's way of telling you to relax and enjoy life more. Before retirement age was purely a financial thing, it was set at 60-65 with good reason.

MerylStreep Wed 22-Sep-21 09:15:40

Walking increases oxygen flow through your body.
That increases your levels of Cortisol, Epinephrine, and Norpineprine.
These hormones help to elevate your energy levels.
But first it has to start in your thinking.

justwokeup Wed 22-Sep-21 09:20:38

welbeck meant to say, check every other avenue first, iron deficiency, B12 etc. Although well-meaning, GPs really have no idea about the effects of thyroxine and it is over-prescribed. Consider natural means of enhancing sleep and try to remove triggers such as stress etc.

loopyloo Wed 22-Sep-21 09:49:22

My goodness, a lot of you people do a lot of work. I am so tired now. A lot of it is that walking or standing makes my knees ache and that is tiring.
Have spoken to the doctor and had blood tests. She is ringing me on Thursday.
I must say that not walking too much means I am much more comfortable and can sleep.
Am on metformin and that can cause low b12.
Very interesting thread. Will follow with interest.