Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Different family opinions

(107 Posts)
vegansrock Sun 26-Sep-21 05:15:34

If you think an unvaccinated person is putting you at risk then don’t invite them round , or if you do invite them don’t discuss it. I’m sure your OH could produce a bean salad and/or and a jacket potato with some hummus without too much effort if he can’t think of anything to feed a vegan guest. Again, her choice not yours.

welbeck Sun 26-Sep-21 04:50:34

so why are you and or your husband giving her a hard time about vaccination, when two of your own AC have not bothered to get vaccinated.
at least she has a principled position against it, rather than just being too lazy.
all of them, unvaccinated are putting you in danger, and you should avoid mingling with any of them indoors for your own protection.
your husband's view on people should eat anything just sounds silly or ignorant; would he expect a jewish or muslim guest to eat pork chops.

Hithere Sun 26-Sep-21 01:49:10

Discuss, not being.. my cell is nuts tonight.

Hithere Sun 26-Sep-21 01:48:11

Beliefs, not believes

Hithere Sun 26-Sep-21 01:46:54

If you want to keep the peace in the family, her believes and your grandson's are their own.

Please keep your concerns private.

Do not being any sensitive subjects up anymore

It is that easy

agnurse Sun 26-Sep-21 00:40:01

Whether she has her child vaccinated is up to her and isn't something you should be discussing, except to determine your personal risk of getting COVID from them.

Many people who eat vegan do so for reasons that include health, environment, and concern for animals. If cooking for her is difficult, you can decide not to invite her over for meals.

Kartush Sun 26-Sep-21 00:33:24

My grandsons new partner is a lovely lady, but some of her beliefs are causing issues in our family.

She is a vegan and while I personally do not care what she eats, it does make family gatherings a little more difficult as I like to always make sure there are vegan items available to her. My husband bless him does most of the cooking and is of the opinion that when you go to someones house you eat what they give you, as in if he went to their house he would eat vegan. This is the minor difficulty however.
She is totally anti vax. Her three year old son has never been vaccinated and she is adamant that she will not be having the covid vaccination, she is also attempting to persuade my grandson to do the same. This is a worry for me even though my grandson has assured me that his son will always be vaccinated.
My husband and our grandson had a rather heated conversation about this the other day where my grandson was almost about to leave.
Two of our three children are also not vaccinated, not because they are against it but because they are just to lazy to go and get it done.
I have spoken to my husband and he has agreed not to bring up the vaccination subject again when anyone comes to visit but I hated to have to ask him that.
I am at my wits end trying to keep the piece in a family that is becoming more and more divided