Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you believe everything you are told?

(127 Posts)
Calmlocket Sun 07-Nov-21 08:37:43

Do you believe something because some people have told you it’s true, even though by simple research on your own you would find it is not, so you just believe them instead of doing the research, why?

Dibbydod Fri 19-Nov-21 09:51:47

Depends on what or who said it , I like to know things that are factual not hearsay , if unsure I Google it .

M0nica Thu 11-Nov-21 22:15:41

I am not sure I agree with the OPs belief that if she cannot trace a history for a poster then the thread is a wind-up. Apart from anything else, everyone has a first post, or even first 6 posts.

The other thing is that when people are very worked up on a subject, especially when it involves family problems and it is late at night, they do tend to go to their computers and start googling desperately looking for forums and other sites they think can help them and sign up and start threads anywhere and everywhere.

I tend to think, that by the next morning, they have calmed down a lot and realised that the problem is nowhere as bad as they think and anyway they cannot remember what threads they signed up for and couldn't find their initial thread on GN or anywhere else if they tried. I do always try to remember that the OP was probably in a complete tiz when they made their first post.

I can remember how I felt when DS rang us and told us that DDiL had been diagnosed with a progressive and physically disabling disease. Both their children were under 5. I googled intensively for a whole evening in a complete panic, but didn't sign up or post on any forums, others do.

As usually happens the problem was not as bad as first predicted, the initial diagnosis has been changed and life continues as normal.

I think many one post shocking stories fall into this category. The ones I am suspicious off are those who start like this, but the OP keeps coming back to the thread and adding extra complications that were not in the first post.

Alegrias1 Thu 11-Nov-21 16:20:28

I was really talking about the ones who say that the Queen is a lizard and that the vaccines change your DNA.

You know, the really extreme ones.

(But nice try hmm)

lemongrove Thu 11-Nov-21 16:13:19

Perhaps the ‘do your own research brigade’ as you call them
Algerias simply don’t believe in having to spoon feed other posters by wasting their own time in searching out material to prove every point they make on Gransnet.

Alegrias1 Thu 11-Nov-21 16:04:13

Just saw this M0nica. smile

I don't doubt at all that you have skills in research. So do I. And I use Google, and whisper it - Wikipedia to research things.

But there are people who don't care about assessing the trustworthiness of sources, or do not have the ability or desire to critically investigate things. The do your own research brigade.

M0nica Thu 11-Nov-21 14:28:23

It depends on so many things,

What the subject is, on trivial things that do not matter, does it matter? DS told me the Charity Christmas Card shop in York was open on a Sunday. I accepted this because he lives in York and is frequently in the town centre. When we got there it was closed.

How much I already know about the subject and how much the other person knows about the subject they are pontificating on. I have a friend who used to be a Social Security Tribunal Chairman, if she says anything about the workings of the Social Security system, my inclination is to believe her. On the subject of the old timbers used to build her house I do not, because, without a doubt, I know considerably more about the construction and archaeology of old houses than she does - and she is wrong.

*Alegrias,^But then I also believe that googling things isn't research.^

I do academic research and I use google extensively to locate sources, including scholarly articles from learned journals. many such journals and other original sources are available, full text and for free, to be found by using google.

Any source of information whether, paper personal or online needs to be studied and assessed. I spent my working life doing desk research, my skill was my ability to know what sources to rely on and which not to trust.

Ali08 Thu 11-Nov-21 10:23:54

I'm quite an un-trusting person! Especially since being married. I take most things with a pinch of salt, until I know one way or another.
If it comes out of my estranged husbands mouth, I'll check and check again, because I know what he's like!!
If it comes from the BBC or politicians, I'm just as dubious.
But I generally believe my immediate family, those being my children and grandchildren, and him indoors!

Gabrielle56 Tue 09-Nov-21 10:36:56

Chestnut

I think we tend to believe people. If it's about themselves completely, if it's about someone we know then with caution, if about people neither of us know then with even more caution. I consider it possible but not confirmed, and if I passed it on I would make it very clear it was hearsay, not fact. I'm very careful to only relay the truth.
If I discover someone is a compulsive liar or fantasist then I can never believe anything they say ever again.

Agree. It really does depend on what the item is about, if it's likely to affect me personally then I'll double check if I have doubts or haven't come across something similar . It doesn't hurt to be cautious, it's self preservation I suppose.

Gabrielle56 Tue 09-Nov-21 10:34:31

Unless they're working for the egg mafia?!? ? Some companies will do anything for a sale!!

Gabrielle56 Tue 09-Nov-21 10:31:59

The ones from reliable sources i.e. NHS for meds. Reuters news agency/BBC not FB/insta/twerper/mates postings/ influencers (aka workshy eejits) it also requires a smidgeon of intelligence and common sense

Gabrielle56 Tue 09-Nov-21 10:28:55

Having told some whoppers in my time,(never for gain or out of hate) I'm pretty sceptical! I'm very good at disseminating truth from untruth too. Most people are unable to lie convincingly, it's not in their nature and some think they're good at hoodwinking-but they're not. The most convincing lie has maybe more than 30% truth as its base and is very very simple. So no, I don't blindly trust anyone anymore.

MissAdventure Tue 09-Nov-21 10:26:09

Which of the 65,0000 results is correct?

Gabrielle56 Tue 09-Nov-21 10:23:37

It's the easiest thing in the world to fact check things! In our youf we had to go to a library work out which book we needed, join library, check out book , read cover to cover in the hope of finding what we wanted....or ask an adult who probably didn't know much better than we. Now? GOOGLE IT!!? HELLO everyone why someone of you not known this? Have you been living in a cave?

MissAdventure Tue 09-Nov-21 10:15:45

Don't you think we ever get new members, then?

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 09-Nov-21 09:25:08

It’s difficult with the odd posts - they may be a windup or may be from people in distress seeking help. I don’t pass by but try to offer help and support if I can ‘just in case’ and don’t suggest that the post is a windup even if I have my suspicions. I just wouldn’t want to be the person who tipped someone over the edge.

Calmlocket Tue 09-Nov-21 08:56:12

I always do a name search if Im unsure, if it comes up with nothing I ignore that thread as its obviously not a true thread and I wont be sucked in. If the name comes up with a list of posts then I know its a genuine poster. I did wonder if the posts were from students needing info for a thesis. Or as Hetty said someone stirring up problems amongst genuine posters.
I did report one as spam but I see its still there and a bit toxic!

Which begs the OP question ( oh thats me ?) Do you believe everything you are told? obviously there are a lot that do!

Hetty58 Tue 09-Nov-21 08:28:47

Calmlocket, those 'odd' posts seem to fall into two categories.

First, the 'stir up the grannies' (like poking an ant nest) seemingly done for entertainment, often in school holidays. They must be very bored indeed.

Second, and more disturbing, the 'up the site traffic' sort, done when things get a bit quiet - but awfully amateur if GN staff are involved. Surely they can do better?

Hetty58 Tue 09-Nov-21 08:16:29

I agree with Buttercup1954 - that some people believe what they want to (despite all the proven facts) - and it's far more common than I ever knew. It must be so lovely to just believe what suits you, but how can people live that way?.

Lynderella2 Tue 09-Nov-21 08:12:13

No I certainly do not..I used to , but not now..often the truth is intentially hidden from us ..I've change my beliefs and opinions a lot over the last 18 months..CURRUPTION deceipt and liars all around us ..look for your self

Josianne Tue 09-Nov-21 07:24:51

I'm glad you say that Calmlocket, I have noticed the same. You may be right that there is a hidden agenda, but what troubles me most is that they sow seeds of discontent amongst genuine posters who join in. I don't like it and am avoiding.

Calmlocket Tue 09-Nov-21 06:00:06

Ive noticed recently that theres been a few 'odd' one off posts, when you search the name on gransnet of said poster nothing comes up that theyve posted before. These posters never reply to the advice given either. Which make me wonder why the posts in the first instance, some are so unbelievable! what is the hidden agenda? The more I see these posts the less I believe them to be true!

Saetana Tue 09-Nov-21 00:30:01

Quick addition - if someone told me they had eggs for breakfast then I would be inclined to believe them, and couldn't be bothered to check in the first place even if it was possible!

Saetana Tue 09-Nov-21 00:27:25

I've always been a cynic so my answer would be a flat NO!

Loopy1906 Mon 08-Nov-21 22:06:34

I like that one

AJKW Mon 08-Nov-21 18:38:09

I’ve become very cynical over the last few years. I don’t believe anything a politician says and I refuse to switch on the TV and radio.
The Brexit debacle in Parliament was unbelievable, and I don’t believe we have experienced a Pandemic as the definition of Pandemic was changed by the WHO back in 2009.
I’m uncomfortable about unlicensed vaccines being mandated for the young fit and healthy.
I think we are living through very worrying times.