Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Enormous unflattering shapeless coats-what are they?

(42 Posts)
Skydancer Thu 25-Nov-21 20:05:41

On TV and by the coast where I live I've noticed people wearing huge baggy long shapeless overcoats. What's the idea? Is it so people can wear thick clothing underneath to sit outside because of Covid? The coats are so unflattering I can't think of another reason.

Calistemon Fri 26-Nov-21 11:07:59

??? he's saying "I feel like a right plonker wearing this"

If he knew you'd put his photo on GN he'd be even more embarrassed ?

Actually, it looks warm and snug, just wondering if it would make a good Christmas present for a dog I know

Josianne Fri 26-Nov-21 11:09:56

In all colours ...... look at Ruff and Tumble. You need to measure the Hound for size.

Visgir1 Fri 26-Nov-21 11:14:34

By coincidence a colleague left work for pastures new.
As a leaving present he wanted a "Dryrobe" he got it.

Calistemon Fri 26-Nov-21 11:19:30

Josianne

In all colours ...... look at Ruff and Tumble. You need to measure the Hound for size.

They are expensive!
I think he'll be getting a bag of treats instead!!

Josianne Fri 26-Nov-21 11:23:36

Calistemon

Josianne

They are expensive!
I think he'll be getting a bag of treats instead!!

Yep, it was one of those holiday moments where you spend without thinking!
Because he's worth it!

Caleo Fri 26-Nov-21 11:55:03

Describes my coats. I bought one of these enormous unflattering teddy cardigans from M and S and have worn it constantly since it arrived.

Namsnanny Fri 26-Nov-21 12:13:22

It's a fashion thing I expect. Next year they will be waisted and tightly fitted, just to be different.
Then we shall be moaning we cant get our thermals on underneath them ?
A photo would be helpful, as I'm intrigued now.

Keeper1 Fri 26-Nov-21 12:17:25

There are a lot of oversized padded coats out called Duvet coats for obvious reasons.

Hithere Fri 26-Nov-21 12:18:46

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

lemsip Fri 26-Nov-21 12:23:38

M & S is full of huge full length puffed up padded coats and jackets. so is Primark

I think this is what the OP is meaning! not the Dryrobes that the thread has got sidelined onto!

Josianne Fri 26-Nov-21 12:26:27

lemsip

M & S is full of huge full length puffed up padded coats and jackets. so is Primark

I think this is what the OP is meaning! not the Dryrobes that the thread has got sidelined onto!

Well, the OP said we had cracked it on the previous page.

Skydancer can we leave it to you to show a picture which type you meant?

vegansrock Fri 26-Nov-21 15:09:07

I’ve got a dry robe - it’s a huge waterproof with fleecy lining and wide sleeves so you can get dressed / undressed in them. I started cold water swimming a couple of years ago and my DC bought me one for my birthday. You see lots around the coast, people wearing them as coats. Why not. I love mine it’s black with a fuchsia pink lining

Skydancer Fri 26-Nov-21 21:42:14

I can see now the coats are definitely Dryrobes. I’ve searched online and can see the images. Goodness they’re totally hideous BUT I can see how sensible they are.

Josianne Fri 26-Nov-21 22:40:36

For your interest Namsnanny

Namsnanny Fri 26-Nov-21 23:31:55

Oh Thanks Josianne that helps. I'd look like a sumo wrestler if I wore one!

Gosh the manufacturer was quick off the mark to fill such a niche market.

Josianne Sat 27-Nov-21 07:25:58

Namsnanny grin