Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandmother names?

(76 Posts)
RebeccaJane Mon 29-Nov-21 16:46:19

Hello everyone ? I’m new here ?
I have just found out I am going to be a grandmother and I am so excited ☺️
I am 40 so quite young I think to be a grandparent so I would like a cute name that doesn’t make me feel older than I am ? I’m not ready for grandma yet! Any ideas ? X

Jaxjacky Mon 29-Nov-21 21:13:47

I’m Grandma, MrJ is Grandad, my Dad was Pampa to his GC’s. It’s a privilege whatever age you are.

Chrissyoh Mon 29-Nov-21 21:18:17

Grandma70s
I’m Nanny to 5 ( soon to be 6) grandchildren !
I’m not employed as a nursemaid !
Too old at 71 ! ?

Hellogirl1 Mon 29-Nov-21 21:26:22

I was 48 when I was first a grandparent, I`ve always been Grandma, always said I definitely didn`t want to be Nan or Nanny.

Hellogirl1 Mon 29-Nov-21 21:27:35

By the way, I thought this was going to be a thread asking our grandparents names, lol!

Mancjules Mon 29-Nov-21 21:30:51

I had a granny Julia and I'm now a proud granny Julie smile

Gransey Mon 29-Nov-21 21:49:48

See my username, found by my DDil on Mumsnet as she went into labour. So far I haven’t met another Gransey. We were looking for something a bit different and I now have 3 wonderful grandchildren that call me Gransey.

SachaMac Mon 29-Nov-21 21:56:51

I’m Grandma, I have 6 grandchildren the first one born when I was in my late 40’s, I’m happy and proud to be called Grandma, it’s never made me feel old. My dads mum was Grandma & mums mum was Nanna. I don't really mind either, but Grandma was my choice. Go with whatever you’re happiest with. A lot of Grandmas in this neck of the woods use the term Mammar which I used to find strange but it’s gradually grown on me.

grannyactivist Mon 29-Nov-21 22:00:40

I’m ‘granny’, except to my Chinese (foster) granddaughter who has always called me ‘grandmama’. ?

My husband has chosen a unique name that our grandchildren absolutely love.

bumblebee34 Mon 29-Nov-21 22:16:28

I am Nonna to mine.

Nanawind Mon 29-Nov-21 22:24:15

I started out as Nana then I became Nan.
10 years ago a song came out called Nana Window.
I am now window.

Calistemon Mon 29-Nov-21 22:39:00

What about Nain?

It's Welsh, pronounced Nine

Nannagarra Mon 29-Nov-21 23:19:10

I wanted to be Nanna but my counterpart already had that name. She insisted we shared so we are now double barrelled with our first names.

Mollymalone6 Mon 29-Nov-21 23:35:14

Ooh. I like your name Gransey. OP how about Becksy or Jansey. You're so young it may start a trend smile. Congratulations by the way wine flowers

nexus63 Mon 29-Nov-21 23:53:14

i am happy to be called gran or granny, it was a no to nana or grandma, my eldest grandson was given the choice to call me gran or by my first name as all the other kids in the family call me by my first name,

LauraNorderr Tue 30-Nov-21 00:09:22

We are gran and grandpa to eight.
I was 53 when I became a grandmother and thought that was too young. I didn’t want to be called gran or granny but then realised that those special little people, your own flesh and blood, who you are going to love with all your heart, are the only ones in the world who will call you by that special name. Everyone can use your given name but only grandchildren can use that special name. Being called Gran or Granny or Nan or Nanna won’t make you feel old it’ll make you feel wonderful.
Congratulations. Enjoy it.

MiniMoon Tue 30-Nov-21 00:30:16

I'm Granny to my grandchildren. Until he could get his tongue around it, one of my grandsons called me Dandy. I was just a little sad when he learnt to say Granny properly.

Redhead56 Tue 30-Nov-21 00:35:25

I am referred to as either naughty nanny or nanny L because I am the nanny who is very strict at times. But nanny L most times because that’s who I am.

Gingster Tue 30-Nov-21 06:37:27

I’m a Nanna and DH is Gaga.
Like you say Gagajo - they aren’t wrong. ?

LindaPat Tue 30-Nov-21 07:10:23

My Mum was Nanna.( my Dad was first Gangar, then later on, his first name. Both decided by my son, and copied by my daughter).

My paternal grandparents were Granny and Granddad.

MrLP and I would have liked to be Grandpa and Nanna, but sadly we have no grandchildren, and it's not looking likely. I think those of you with grandchildren are so,so lucky.

I went through a stage at work, (when everyone seemed to be having grandchildren, there was a new announcement nearly every month), when I got so jealous I could hardly speak. I did work hard to overcome it, gave my congratulations, bought cards and knitted for the new arrivals, and admired the photos. It's easier now I'm not working!

So OP, choose whatever name you feel happy with, and enjoy your new role. Congratulations!

Take care xx

Hiraeth Tue 30-Nov-21 07:29:48

Im called Nally Na for Nanny and Ally for my name. I love it .

Maudi Tue 30-Nov-21 07:54:40

Congratulations on your news bet you are super excited ?. I'm Nanny to 3 of mine and Nana to the other 2. Why don't you ask the mum to be what she would like you to be called.

Chardy Tue 30-Nov-21 09:04:54

I'm Nana, DGD's other gran is Grandma. My sister is Grannie.

M0nica Tue 30-Nov-21 09:14:24

No kind of alternative will hide the fact that you have moved up a generation. Where relevant you will be described as being a Grandmother, because that is the place you are in the family structure, whether yours, mine or anyone else's.

Unless an alternative has already has good foundations in the family structure - for example the family habit of using first names that Visgirl described, it always looks contrived and someone trying coyly to hide that they are grandmother because it might make then look old, in fact it just enhances their discomfort.

I am Grandma M0nica simple straightforward and without pretence.

MaizieD Tue 30-Nov-21 09:21:56

I wanted to be granny, but I've ended up as Ya Ya. When he was learning to talk that's what DGS called me and it's stuck. I love it...

Greenfinch Tue 30-Nov-21 11:42:10

The twins have always called me Gorki ( my previous GN username) but now at the age of 14 the boy has decided it is silly and unilaterally elected to call me Grandma. The other 4 grandchildren call me Granny. Their other one who has the same first name as me is Grandma.