Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should Boris resign

(106 Posts)
Msida Wed 12-Jan-22 20:54:19

I may not be popular for saying this but I think No

Yes he has made a mistake a big one too

But does that cancel out all of the good that he has done and all the hard work he has also done to get us out of this pandemic

Over to you..

Blossoming Thu 13-Jan-22 09:29:08

Yes, he should resign. He is not irreplaceable. If the replacement also turns out to be an incompetent cowardly serial liar then they should resign, until they manage to find a party leader with a modicum of integrity.

Mollygo Thu 13-Jan-22 09:33:34

I’m looking in the bright side. Thanks to BJ, there is so much more public awareness now of the backhanders, working the system, doing your own thing etc. that has gone on for years in government, that future Prime Ministers and governments will have to be much more open about their dealings.
Well I can dream can’t I.
Instead they will carry on doing what they have been doing and the fans of the party in power will say excuse it saying, “At least she’s/he’s not as bad as BJ, or BJ did it first.”

Alegrias1 Thu 13-Jan-22 09:33:41

Lucca grin grin

ayse Thu 13-Jan-22 09:36:42

Hetty58

ayse, all very convenient - I was just waiting for the 'Covid isolation' excuse. Of course he should go. Now I wait for the leadership challenge.

?

Parsley3 Thu 13-Jan-22 09:39:43

Hiding again. BJ has no shame.

Froglady Thu 13-Jan-22 09:44:07

Grannybags

I think he should. But who would replace him?

Same here, who would they put in his place? I don't trust any of the front bench lot at the moment.

Luckygirl3 Thu 13-Jan-22 09:44:08

Blossoming

Yes, he should resign. He is not irreplaceable. If the replacement also turns out to be an incompetent cowardly serial liar then they should resign, until they manage to find a party leader with a modicum of integrity.

Exactly.

But I hold out no hope of them finding one such.

Bixiboo Thu 13-Jan-22 09:47:45

He probably should resign but who would take his place? I would have liked Ruth Davison but obviously that won’t happen. Boris does comes across as a buffoon but let’s not forget that Tony Blair also lied on an outrageous scale to take us into Iraq and has never apologised.

Alegrias1 Thu 13-Jan-22 09:48:50

Froglady

Grannybags

I think he should. But who would replace him?

Same here, who would they put in his place? I don't trust any of the front bench lot at the moment.

I'm so tired of this...

Let's just stick with the worst PM we've had in 100 years (maybe ever) because the others might even be worse?

Alegrias1 Thu 13-Jan-22 09:55:43

Ruth Davidson is not who you think she is. She gets credited with improving the Tory vote in Scotland but she didn't even get it to the level it had been when Thatcher was in power. She gave up an elected post so she could spend more time with her family (fair enough) but then decided that the lure of ermine, power without accountability and £300 a day expenses was worth the effort.

Don't be taken in by the Baroness.

grannyrebel7 Thu 13-Jan-22 10:10:32

Of course he should resign over this debacle. Not that I want another Tory in power, but if we have to have another one, I would like to see Theresa May reinstated. The impossible problem of Brexit to solve was her downfall and I don't think she had a fair crack at the whip (no political pun intended!) ?

Grammaretto Thu 13-Jan-22 11:01:53

Even Douglas Ross would have more integrity than Boris.
Anyone else would be better.
How is Pritti Patel still around? She also broke the ministerial rules.
I have zero faith in the PM and pray he will resign. I wouldn't bet on it though ?
My DFiL died in hospital of covid a year ago. By the time his DD was allowed to see him he was already unconscious. Thousands of families were suffering the same fate.

Welshwife Thu 13-Jan-22 11:26:28

Of course Johnson should resign. He has made a pigs ear of it all. Each time there has been a new variant he has waited till the virus took hold before bringing in any restrictions. Other countries took steps much earlier and have had far fewer deaths.
They need to look further than the front bench to find a replacement - Patel and Truss would be just as bad.
Crossing the floor - I would like to see Chris Bryant given a role on the Labour front bench. He has always been a very good constituency MP and lives within it and he is not afraid to speak out.

Alegrias1 Thu 13-Jan-22 11:46:00

Way to go Jacob. You honestly could not make this up.

Jacob Rees-Mogg calls Scottish Tory leader a 'lightweight'

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-59978733

Well known Aberdonian Gove heaping wood on the fire. ??

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 13-Jan-22 11:47:46

Yes, he should - but he won't.

humptydumpty Thu 13-Jan-22 12:15:12

Just imagine though if JRM was the replacement for Boris shock shock shock

icanhandthemback Thu 13-Jan-22 12:23:39

Probably he should resign but who would take his place? I originally wanted Javid but now I'm not so sure. I can't bear the thought of Gove, Hunt, or Truss who have been suggested by the press. I was disappointed that Theresa May turned out to be so ineffective. When I heard her speech on taking up the position of PM, I really had hope that we had someone who would be an empathetic PM but without racking up billions of pounds of national debt.

Dickens Thu 13-Jan-22 12:25:41

Watching Boris Johnson continuously glancing down to read his notes to make an apology tells me that there's little, if any, sincerity in it.

He is simply reading a script and acting a part, and I think his biggest anxiety is how this is going to affect him, personally.

I've been watching and listening to him for some time and have come to the conclusion that in spite of his upper-second class degree in Ancient Lit. and Classical Philosophy (or whatever) - he is actually not very bright. He cannot debate coherently when left without a script to refer to and verbally wanders all over the place. It is, apparently, well known that he doesn't "do" detail, which I assume means he can't get to grips with briefs, documents, etc. He's from a privileged background and has probably never had to really fend for himself, like most working people who then learn how to cope with life and its humdrum daily grind, consequently he lacks the skills to deal with the basics. And I think it's made him lazy and incompetent.

As for the vaccine rollout which he trumpets at every given opportunity and uses as a shield against criticism. He didn't develop the vaccine himself, he didn't drive around distributing the vaccine, nor did he stand for hours sticking it hundreds of people's arms. He took a decision - after consultation with others - and said "let's go for it" (or whatever)... and good for him that he did, but others did the work and he's now covering himself in the glory of the hard work of others. He just cannot rest on this laurel wreath indefinitely.

Zoejory Thu 13-Jan-22 12:29:43

I would have thought he'd love to retire. What a hellish job.

But I don't think he will. Doesn't have the nerve. He'll hang on and I think he'll be OK. Again.

The public has a deplorable memory. On GN many remember the litany of disasters and lies he's told but out there in the real world people just don't care. And there's nothing we can do about it.

flump Thu 13-Jan-22 12:40:17

Yes, he should and so should the nest of vipers around him.

As Lady Violet Bonham-Carter once said

"Tories are not always wrong, but they are always wrong at the right moment"

And while I'm writing the quotes from people written before 1986 (old book of quotes I have) I'll mention one from John Kenneth Galbraith.

" The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy, that is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

Nothing much seems to have changed!

Lucca Thu 13-Jan-22 12:45:59

Alegrias1

Way to go Jacob. You honestly could not make this up.

Jacob Rees-Mogg calls Scottish Tory leader a 'lightweight'

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-59978733

Well known Aberdonian Gove heaping wood on the fire. ??

That man….. he has a very deleterious effect on my hiatus hernia and diverticulosis. I’ve rarely encountered anyone who rules me more.

Alegrias1 Thu 13-Jan-22 12:47:07

I think that's a typo Lucca but its a very apt one grin

Lucca Thu 13-Jan-22 12:47:34

Damn….riles. See what I mean ??

humptydumpty Thu 13-Jan-22 13:14:45

How about Dishy Rishi?

MissAdventure Thu 13-Jan-22 14:00:40

shock