Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Special Guardianship Order - Question

(73 Posts)
GrandadGarage Sun 16-Jan-22 12:18:34

Hello

Does anyone have any experience of this.

We have had one in place for our granddaughter for almost 4 years now and the estranged father has suddenly popped up through the courts for a Child Arrangement Order.

I’m going to get some legal advice but does anybody have any similar experience; I’d like to know if what he is requesting cannot be granted given we have the SGO in place

Thanks

silverlining48 Tue 18-Jan-22 12:56:40

You sound a very fair man. I hope things work out and wish you well.

Iam64 Tue 18-Jan-22 13:09:57

Your approach to this has always been gocussed on your granddaughters needs and supporting her mum as best you can
Any one appointed will see that

Ali08 Sun 23-Jan-22 01:25:05

Can someone explain this Special Guardianship Order to me, please?

freedomfromthepast Sun 23-Jan-22 02:02:35

I have no advice because I have no idea about the UK laws. But I did want to stop and say bless you for going the extra mile for your grandchild.

I do hope that he looses interest and goes back away and causes no more trouble. But if he persists, I am hopeful that you have saved all records of his past and you will prevail.

GrandadGarage Mon 24-Jan-22 17:50:13

Thank you smile

So went to the solicitor today so that’s in order there’s an assessment hearing which we don’t have to attend 8/2

We did learn via Cafcass he had convictions in 2017 and 2019 for possession of class A and class B; and selling class B and beating by battery in 2019 of an emergency worker.

He has a probation officer who no doubt will tell everyone about his totally reformed character….

Reinforces my determination for him to get nowhere near our GD ever

silverlining48 Mon 24-Jan-22 18:14:19

GG The PO should be impartial. It might help to know how long/often they have met and whether he reports to the PO regularly and punctually.
Do you have legal representation? Your gd should also be represented by a guardian ad litem arranged by the court.
Hope all goes well.

GrandadGarage Mon 24-Jan-22 18:18:13

I’m not too sure we are at an early stage currently

We have a solicitor yes and we are GDs legal guardians via the SGO

silverlining48 Mon 24-Jan-22 18:19:23

GG. It’s been a while since I was involved in this sort of thing and wondering now whether I am wrong and a guardian is only appointed in care/criminal proceedings rather than access, best check.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 24-Jan-22 18:20:59

My goodness. I wouldn't want my child anywhere near him. I hope all goes in your favour GrandadGarage.

GrandadGarage Mon 24-Jan-22 18:22:36

I’m not too sure; we have legal guardianship of our GD it was awarded but he courts in 2019

Iam64 Mon 24-Jan-22 18:47:31

Grandad, please don’t assume the probation officer will minimise the potential risks. Their training on domestic abuse, drugs/dealing etc is spot on.

Silver lining- a Chikdren’s Guardian can be appointed in complex private law matters. That would include where a parent with serious criminal convictions/domestic abuse exist. Also in situations where the Judge concludes the child should be legally represented. It rarely could be the official solicitor, more likely a Children’s Guardian. That is a possibility as currently, grandad and Mrs grandad share parental responsibility with their daughter. I don’t know is the birth father has PR but it’s almost certain, if not, he’d get it as a result of his current application. It’s very rare for PR not to be awarded to parents. So that leaves these grandparents potentially sharing PR with this birth father.
Grandad, if I was in your shoes, I’d want to avoid having to manage this father. Good to know you have a solicitor. I hope the judge suggests the local authority pay your legal fees

GrandadGarage Mon 24-Jan-22 19:03:06

Thanks for your post

Nobody in our family will deal with the father due to past abuse and threats so if he is granted access I would not be able to facilitate that as it gave me anxiety last time; that’s not being difficult more like been there done that no thanks

Our solicitor said in the slim chance he’s got they may suggest start with letters

We will oppose everything tbh

silverlining48 Mon 24-Jan-22 19:32:11

I think I suggested before that you keep a detailed note of any contact from the birth father with dates and time.

GrandadGarage Mon 24-Jan-22 19:36:59

Yes I have that indeed the file is huge !

GrandadGarage Sat 29-Jan-22 15:16:40

Had our cafcass call yesterday; each side will get their reports next week so will be interesting to read his.

We said we would reject the application for contact in full and yet the lady several times alluded to the what if he’s changed angle it was frustrating we explained we had been down the same road 3 - 4 times so what if he hasn’t surely there is a cut off point.

I get this feeling….

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 29-Jan-22 17:02:26

Good of you to let us know how he’s doing. Leopards don’t change their spots do they? Good luck, I can’t imagine he would be a positive influence.

GrandadGarage Sat 29-Jan-22 17:16:20

That’s the thing the lady at cafcass was talking about people changing and second chances but we feel he’s had so many in the past and the other thing is if he hasn’t changed it’s us picking up the pieces why should we risk it.

Funny; the lady we spoke to is also handling the other child he has applied for at the same time as ours !

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 29-Jan-22 17:18:45

I hope he doesn’t get near either child. I really, really do.

Iam64 Sat 29-Jan-22 18:37:03

Thanks for the update. I do hope the carcass worker isn’t full of false optimism. Yes people can change. What’s needed here is strong evidence of that

GrandadGarage Sat 29-Jan-22 21:08:59

She seemed enthused that he’d not been convicted of anything since 2019 like it was an achievement; I don’t see how working well with a probation officer suddenly gives him access to a 7 year old girl he’s barely seen, never positively contributed towards in anyway shape or form and certainly never paid anything towards. And yet in this crazy world why do I expect him to have more than a good chance…

Iam64 Sat 29-Jan-22 21:13:05

Are they arranging hair strand tests to clarify drug use. Does he have a stable life, home
?
You’re right, the assumption is direct contact in almost every case but the history predicts the future . He may not have been convicted but are they seeking FWInS from the police

GrandadGarage Thu 03-Feb-22 11:47:19

Hi

We will ask for full tests blood and hair

So we got the Cafcass report; his interview is hilarious

No contrition, acceptance of past failings, offers to make amends and most importantly what he can offer his daughter in terms of positive contribution.

Just the usual bluster; denied all knowledge of drugs raids which is how my family became involved with SS in the first place which there will be a record of no doubt. Denial of any violence in the past; stated he had no knowledge of the SGO when in fact he got a copy of our application and in our pre assessment report it states he agreed to it in an interview with SS. States he never let GD down and he had her every weekend which is a lie on both counts.

Cafcass will link any evidence from his other application to ours: in the other one we believe there are several accusations of DV. The same cafcass officer is dealing with both cases which we are uncomfortable with.

Since 2017 he has 4 convictions including class A possession; class B dealing, assault and battery of an emergency worker and a no further action on an ABH on a female.

Our solicitor says it could get thrown out as he has no PR not permission from the Court to make the application; she’s told us to prepare some statements and evidence.

Glad I kept my huge file of stuff from down the years !

Sounds fun….

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 03-Feb-22 11:52:29

He sounds a real charmer.

GrandadGarage Fri 25-Feb-22 21:20:46

So….. over two weeks ago the father was directed to amend the court application as he missed off two other people with PR for my GD, I phoned the court today and apparently hale hasn’t filed anything at all.

It looks like this won’t proceed any further

I’ve asked my solicitor if he can apply again in the future or if i can take out any order against him as I can’t be having this every time he feels like he wants to take us to court..

His other child they’ve got a full court date but he hasn’t responded to allegations of DV which he was directed to do by the court

Iam64 Fri 25-Feb-22 21:27:39

Good to have your update. It’s so stressful and unfair that this ‘father’ has been able to cause stress and anxiety in this way.