Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sleeping alone

(133 Posts)
Jennyluck Tue 18-Jan-22 20:44:47

I’ve just discovered the joy of sleeping alone.
Dh has dementia, and has started going to the toilet during the night, a lot. Which unfortunately wakes me up, there’s also snoring, coughing, sniffing. I find once I’m awake, I can’t get back to sleep.
I can’t have my own bedroom because we have a full house, with 2 ac and a grand child.
So I had a brain wave of buying a sofa bed. I bought a really good one.
Oh the joy of a peaceful nights sleep.
Anyone else gone down this road. ??

Washerwoman Tue 25-Jan-22 08:10:56

I kept decamping to the spare room for several years when going through the menopause,still working and getting increasingly restless at night and desperate for a good night's sleep.Plus DH's snoring got bad so at one point, until he lost some weight, and I got so irritable and resentful without sleep.
Then I got Covid early in the first lock down and moved completely into that room,taking all my bits and pieces with me and there I slept until recently. I even convinced myself I just couldn't get a decent night's sleep sharing a bed ever again.And found the idea of holidays stressful as I anticipated nights of insomnia.
Then last year we had the decorator in to spruce things up.I moved back in with DH and slept like a log,loved chatting to DH in bed,liked our newly decorated room and bedding so much I didn't want to leave it so I've stayed.DH keeps telling me it's lovely to have me back and I think I'm just much less stressed than previously when work and worries about my elderly mum rumbled incessantly in the background.
Now it's poor DH who struggles to sleep with arthritis a rotator cuff injury in his shoulder.But we are lucky to have a king-size bed,and there's always the spare room if needed again.Although now I'm back I intend to stay !Plus as we age I'm more conscious there may come a time when I don't have DH to cuddle up to.
I think our adult DDs thought I was deserting their dad.But now my DD with children,full time job and a snoring partner longs for a spare room !

Hellogirl1 Mon 24-Jan-22 17:44:51

Obviously I sleep alone now, but first started a few years back after hubby had a stoma bag fitted, he preferred to sleep in his own room. After it was reversed we went back to sleeping together, but after a few nights he decided he preferred to sleep in his own room again, so that`s how things stayed. I`ve been a widow for over 5 years now, so no choice anymore. I do like my king size bed though.

Fudgemonkey Mon 24-Jan-22 15:58:37

Separate rooms for us after youngest moved out, due to large dogs, not health reasons, never enough space. Bliss ?

OmaLoocie Sat 22-Jan-22 13:48:04

I often wish I did have my own bedroom, especially as The Husband is now retired and home all day so I never get ANY time to myself anymore. Ironically, when I was young and single I used to yearn and dream of having someone to share a bed with... ?

effalump Thu 20-Jan-22 18:27:48

I've been single all my life and I'm used to having the bed to myself. In fact, if I was to find a partner, not only would he have to have his own bedroom, but preferably in his own house and I'd be in mine. After having a couple of occasions looking after my mum, until her death last year, I struggled sleeping in the same room as she had apnoea and tended to be very noisy, so I've not had good quality sleep over the past few years. I often wonder what it feels like to go to bed at night and feel refreshed when waking next morning.

celialillian Thu 20-Jan-22 17:02:47

I have been a widow for 24 years and love sleeping alone I could Never share a bed with anyone. I have my bedroom decorated cosy and have all my favourite things near by, such as books, kindle, and a small radio. On cold winter nights it is a joy to go into my cosy bedroom with warm bedside lights. I take a hot cup of Horlicks, prop up my pillows, read my emails on my kindle. Sometimes have the radio on low in the background. Then settle down to a good read. Shutting out the world.

Chinesecrested Thu 20-Jan-22 15:51:14

I spend 3 nights at my house and 4 at bf's flat each week. I sleep much better at his flat. He has a memory foam mattress, a good quality quilt, and a lovely warm, hairy body to snuggle up to! grin

Kim19 Thu 20-Jan-22 10:49:04

hcw1, my husband used to call me a happy nut case. I guess some things never change in

Jaxjacky Thu 20-Jan-22 10:09:13

We’d hate separate rooms, pretty compatible sleep wise, we have a split electric blanket, my side goes on before bed, his doesn’t, one window open in all weathers. One of my comforts and I think his, is holding hands as we drift off, I treasure it.

Witzend Thu 20-Jan-22 09:47:57

DC64

Every so often I sleep in the spare bedroom - I can have the window open and have my meditation app on - my other half is nesh, snores for England and puts the light on when he comes to bed even though he knows it wakes me up - not the most considerate soul. So I love sleeping in the spare bedroom!

I’d forgotten the ‘open window’ factor. Unless it’s the height of summer, dh has never liked it open more than a crack, and my side of the bed was too far from fresh air coming in.
In the other room I have it open rather more than a crack every night - and I’m on the window side of the bed. ?

LouLou21 Thu 20-Jan-22 09:44:36

I would love to have separate rooms but my husband just won’t have it unless it’s absolutely necessary. He hates it I love it, he is an insomniac fidgety most of the night. At the moment I have a broken ankle so he is in the spare room, but every day he asks when he can come back.

Supergranuation Thu 20-Jan-22 08:29:46

Hi jenny, would you mind telling me which sofa bed you bought please? Like yours my husband is not well so I sometimes need to sleep in the spare room. We have bunk beds which is not ideal so I would like to buy a sofa beds but am unable to find a comfortable one. Thank you

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 20-Jan-22 08:15:05

We are in separate rooms, just across the hall from each other.
MrOops has a Tempur mattress which hurts my back , I have a mattress that hurts his.
He has the heating on and an electric blanket, I have my heating off and a light duvet.
He goes to bed at 1am, I go to bed and read with the light on which annoyed him.
We woke each other up in the night going to the bathroom.
I wake up early and either read or go on my iPad, he wants to sleep until whatever time he wants and complained that I was waking him up.
Solution found and we both have a good nights sleep and are both happy with the arrangement.

Freespirit55 Thu 20-Jan-22 08:12:08

We sleep alone due to me having fybromyalgia and his snoring. When we met we were on different working shifts so we decided then to sleep separate

Nicegranny Thu 20-Jan-22 03:12:05

Around 15 years ago me and my partner slept in separate rooms, it was great.
A few months later we lived in separate homes, that was even better.

pat222 Wed 19-Jan-22 23:44:01

My hubby was a snorer and had irritable leg syndrome and I often used to say we will get separate beds,BUT I would give anything to have him back for just one night so I could tell him how much I had always loved him and he could snore and twitch his legs as much as he needed. Think about it ladies make the most of the time you have with them and enjoy your lives. I never got the chance really because it was only 4 days from him going into hospital and passing away.

Sweetpeasue Wed 19-Jan-22 23:29:52

LucyW No words. Just, sincerely ?

MaddieL Wed 19-Jan-22 23:20:12

The grass is not always greener. Enjoy having the bed to yourself ?

Joesoap Wed 19-Jan-22 23:09:14

I often wish we had separate rooms when there is snoring going on, or talking in his sleep,I wont put the light on in case it disturbs him and he would moan if the light was on if he woke up. Ladies enjoy your peace ni seperate rooms

Luckygirl3 Wed 19-Jan-22 22:25:41

LucyW - I know just how you feel. flowers

GANNET Wed 19-Jan-22 21:50:33

We have had separate rooms for over twenty years now. My husband snores very loudly and I am a light sleeper. I think there are many couples who sleep separately but won’t admit it. I made the decision after seeing a neighbour who always looked dreadful because she got no sleep but her husband refused to sleep apart because it was the end of the marriage in his eyes. She died years before him and I think sleep deprivation may have been a factor.

ChrisEllison Wed 19-Jan-22 21:26:24

I have slept alone for many years and would be unable to sleep with someone else in my bed. I see nothing wrong with separate bedrooms or at least separate beds. Even when I was younger I preferred sleeping alone. You can still have your "cuddle" times, but it's much nicer to get a solid nights sleep and be in a pleasant frame of mind.

BlueSky Wed 19-Jan-22 20:10:34

Oh Lucy... flowers

Happygirl79 Wed 19-Jan-22 20:06:48

Sashabel

I love having my double bed to myself. Since my partner and I split up 6 years ago sleeping alone has been a godsend. It was one of the many things that improved in my life when he finally left. I could never share a bed with anyone again.

My feelings too
I love having my bed all to myself
Its bliss

LucyW Wed 19-Jan-22 19:33:30

Have slept alone in my king size bed since losing DH very suddenly 3 yrs ago. One of the dogs usually jumps up during the night. I have never considered moving to a different bed or bedroom and still sleep on my side of the bed. I feel that being in the same bed we shared brings me closer to him.