Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Oestrogen pessaries

(33 Posts)
honeyrose Thu 20-Jan-22 08:30:08

Has anyone used Oestrogen pessaries please? I recently had a hysteroscopy under general anaesthetic as I had some bleeding several years after the menopause. Fortunately, no malignancy was found, but I have been diagnosed with post menopausal atrophy and was advised (by letter) that I may benefit from Oestrogen pessaries (Vagifem) twice weekly. I feel a bit doubtful about such a treatment. Has anyone any knowledge of the benefits/possible drawbacks please? I’m 66.

Ali23 Fri 09-Dec-22 22:04:07

I chose not to continue with an oestrogen cream for atrophy as I have a history of endometriosis and am not happy with adding oestrogen into the mix again.
A urinogynaecology physio suggested an organic lubricant called Yes VM as an alternative. It suits me fine.

I think its worth reading up on vaginal atrophy and its long term implications. This has convinced me to use the lubricant - it’s about much more than sexual activity.

Coolgran65 Fri 09-Dec-22 21:16:20

I used the vagifem pessaries for some time which helped a bit but especially not for a tiny area just at the entrance which tore and bled when I got my 3 monthly internal. I was squealing during the examination. Sex was impossible. GP referred me to a gynae consultant and he quite simply changed me to Estradiol cream which is inserted via an applicator with instructions to also smear some at the entrance. This was perfect and all is now good.

Purplepixie Fri 09-Dec-22 17:29:07

I have to use them before my colposcopy in March and I hope they are going to be ok. I have read the posts and mostly seem ok.

Oreo Fri 09-Dec-22 17:26:07

Vaginal atrophy doesn’t clear up, if only it did.
The Estradiol has helped is all.
They are brilliant btw and most women don’t have side effects.
I’ve used them for years.You start with a high dose or daily use then drop down to a few times a week.

Shylindyloo Fri 09-Dec-22 16:49:45

I’ve just joined this Forum and wanted to add my comments about Estradiol Pessaries. I’m 8 weeks in and have been so tired and hungry after starting on them.
I’m slowly coming off them. I was put on because of vaginal atrophy (which has cleared up)

TillyTrotter Wed 02-Feb-22 21:02:08

Vagirux are £40 for 24 tablets and one applicator.

Ohmother Wed 02-Feb-22 20:45:21

Have you seen the latest news? They’re going to be sold over the counter.

Ohmother Mon 31-Jan-22 21:57:55

Interesting re the gallstones. I’ve just been diagnosed with 10 tiny ones. Though I may have had them for more than 2 months???? I hope

Franbern Sun 30-Jan-22 09:52:06

Have used Vagifem and now Vagirux for several years. No noticeable side effects. Like rubysong I am actually pleased in this applicator change, as I am also very much against any sort of single use plastic. Yes, it is a bit more fiddly, but can get used to it. and the applicator is so easy to clean in the bathroom sink after use.

Ailsa7 Sat 29-Jan-22 01:09:49

I used Vagifem for about 2 years and was very happy with the results until I developed gallstones which quickly worsened ending up with emergency op to remove gallbladder. When I realised it’s one of the side effects in the very small print I stopped using it. Doc had told me that Vagifem contained a tiny dose of oestrogen, so I was shocked to have become so ill after using it. Google Vagifem and gallbladder!

Ohmother Fri 28-Jan-22 20:44:29

Does Vagifem make you feel hungrier do you think? I may be putting weight on as I’ve got a bigger than usual appetite. Winter?

essjay Mon 24-Jan-22 11:43:34

thanks Floradora9, i have just been told that my next prescription will be vagirux as it is less costly, same dose and active ingredient so they expect it to be just as safe and effective! so will definitely keep some vagifem

Shelflife Sun 23-Jan-22 23:49:51

Floradora9 that us sound advice I will bear in mind. Only been given Vagirux once but like you I prefer the blue applicator - the Vagirux applicator is not a good design and white is not good. !

Floradora9 Sun 23-Jan-22 21:36:34

In Scotland they have stopped prescribing Vagifem and I now get Vagirux. On researching this I find it costs a lot less so that will be the reason. I hated the fact that you get one applicator per packet of 24 so you have to wash and reuse them . I found this applicator very fiddly to use as the pessaries are really small and I kept loosing them . Thank goodness I had a few Vagifem left and I use their applicator instead and it is much better , you still have to wash it between uses. Be warned ladies and keep a few Vagifem in case you are in the same position.

honeyrose Sat 22-Jan-22 21:43:05

Thanks everyone for your replies. Very useful as I didn’t know that UTIs can be one of the consequences of post menopausal atrophy. On balance, I don’t think I’m going to try Vagifem or similar as I don’t feel that I need it, at least not at the moment. I have not suffered from UTIs (hope I’m not tempting fate by saying that!), also I’m not sure if I like the idea of introducing oestrogen back into my body with the benefits/drawbacks that might incur. DH and I are no longer sexually active, so I don’t feel I need to lubricate (if I did, we’d use KY jelly). The last time we were intimate (about 7/8 years ago) was very painful for me and I bled afterwards. When I first had the recent vaginal bleeding (last autumn) I also had itching and a burning sensation “down there” which lasted a few minutes and then would subside. I’ll certainly think about a Vagifem or similar in future if things change.

BBbevan Sat 22-Jan-22 09:59:07

I was told, many moons ago, always pee after sex and always wipe front to back. Good advice .

Ohmother Fri 21-Jan-22 21:43:00

I was refused HRT initially but after a distressing episode of being stuck on the loo with a 4th UTI I’m so many months and ringing 111 he advised oestrogen. After 3 weeks of daily doses I have just gone on twice weekly doses. I’m crossing my fingers this will work and am optimistic after reading the posts. P.S. The UTIs seemed to occur after intimacy.

essjay Fri 21-Jan-22 18:01:43

yes vagifem definitely stopped me going mad with the terrible itching that had plagued me for a good few years

rubysong Fri 21-Jan-22 17:47:43

I was pleased when Vagifem changed to washable applicators. I hated all that extra single use plastic. It is not problem for me to give the applicator a quick wash. I would have preferred it to be coloured though, rather than white, so I can see the little tablet is still in position.

Marmite32 Fri 21-Jan-22 15:42:34

I'm 86 now and have had Vagifem since I was about 60. just after the menopause and vaginal atrophy started.
I had a history of UTIs and my GP at the time was very cautious about prescribing antibiotics because some can become ineffective - so what if you needed it for a life threatening problem? So any risk from hormones could be better.
Then there was a time in the early 2000s when it was thought there could be a link between hormones such as Vagifem and breast cancer and I couldn't get my prescription. I returned to getting sore vagina, UTIs and antibiotics. But this changed and I've resumed my prescription.
There are other threads on this - type Vagifem in the search box.

BBbevan Fri 21-Jan-22 15:20:20

I had a bad UTI just before Christmas. Never had one before. Also suffered a bad allergic reaction to the medication. I rand 111 Christmas Eve. To cut a long story short , the 111 doctor.prescribed a new antibiotic but also suggested I speak to my GP about oestrogen replacement. This went well. I have an oestrogen cream ,with an applicator which I had to use every night for two weeks. I now just use it twice a week. The difference ‘down there’ has been remarkable. Much more comfortable. Should add I am 77., and wish I had known about it before

maryrose54 Fri 21-Jan-22 11:22:59

I have used estriol vaginal cream twice a week for about 5 years now for atrophy. I was so uncomfortable and dry that just sitting down felt sore and my routine smear test made me cry with the pain. No problems now. I am 67.

PerserverencePays Fri 21-Jan-22 08:55:26

I just started them three weeks ago. Had a long conversation with GP to convince her I was eligible, 15 years post menopause, as I am feeling the unpleasant effects of atrophy. Also worried about UTIs as urine flow had slowed right down even when there was urgency. The pessaries have better reviews than the cream options and she also wanted to prescribe 50mcg and I had to tell her I wanted to start on 10mcg.
So, much more comfortable and urine flow much improved. All I have to do now I’d convince her to repeat the prescription!

mumofmadboys Fri 21-Jan-22 08:32:09

I also use vagifem pessaries with good local effect!

Shelflife Fri 21-Jan-22 00:34:17

I have used vagifem for 3 years now . Like you I was reluctant and spoke to a pharmacist for reassurance. I would not be without them ! Prior to vagifem I had a constant need to empty my bladder, each step I took was like something bouncing on my bladder. Long car journeys were a nightmare and no matter what time I went to bed I was up on the dot every two hours. In my endeavour to solve the problem I drank less - not a sensible idea !!!! Vagifem has made a massive difference, I still wake in the night but only once or sometimes twice . Now when I need to wee it is that normal sensation of knowing I need the loo but being able to wait if I have to ie in the car . In other words I am back to normal . This is of course my experience but I suggest you try and see if vagifem helps. Only once have I been given the applicators that need washing , I prefer the sterile , use once ones - although I do worry about a more plastic in the world ! Good luck .