Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Suddenly worried about driving - did this happen to you?

(82 Posts)
mrsnonsmoker Sun 27-Feb-22 00:28:03

I've always been a bit sceptical about women drivers who say they are nervous and up until recently I'd had no qualms, could drive day or night, usually would only like to drive for 2/3 hours at the most but no issues. Over the past couple of years I've found it more difficult to drive at night, particularly in bad weather. Now its got to the point I'm struggling even with an hour in good daylight, just feel like I'm not confident.

I hate the thought of losing my independence like this, I feel young and my friends who are a bit younger are looking at me like I'm mad - I suppose 5 years ago I would have done exactly the same.

Is losing confidence in driving as you get older the norm? Inevitable?

Witzend Sun 27-Feb-22 11:02:11

Grandma70s

I don’t drive - can’t bear the thought of it. My husband did, and my sons do. I use taxis. Much cheaper than buying and running a car, and you don’t have to park them.

Do you never need to do longer journeys, Grandma70s? Our local public transport is very good so I use my car an awful lot less than I used to, and could certainly manage locally without a car, but I’d certainly miss it for the 60 mile journey to a dd.

There is a reasonable and fairly convenient way by public transport, but I wouldn’t be able to take all the stuff I so often do - not just an overnight bag, but also usually the dinner for that night! Not that dd/SiL are too lazy to cook, or expect me to feed them, but they’re both working more or less full time with 3 little ones, so I like to ease the load just a bit when I can.

annodomini Sun 27-Feb-22 11:12:34

I've been driving since 1960 and have no intention of giving up just yet. I haven't done long distances since the time when I found myself dropping off as the wheels of a juggernaut passed me uncomfortably close. It turned out that I was hypothyroid which sometimes made me dozy. When I had to change my car last year, the one I bought was described by the dealer as 'a shopping car' which has proved ideal, as I'm not so good at walking nowadays. Long journeys - by train now that the risk of Covid has reduced.

Grandmabatty Sun 27-Feb-22 11:21:50

I like driving but avoid motorway driving at night as the oncoming traffic lights dazzle me. My night vision has definitely deteriorated.

rockgran Sun 27-Feb-22 12:01:37

I have had to take over the wheel since my husband's sight went. I've always hated driving but seem to be regaining confidence. My husband was an excellent and enthusiastic driver so it must be difficult for him to lose this ability and then try not to criticise my driving. (He is usually very patienthmm.) I only drive locally but at least we can get to hospital appointments and lunch out. I don't mind driving at night if the street lighting is good but modern headlights are dazzling sometimes. I guess if you don't want to lose it you have to use it!

M0nica Sun 27-Feb-22 14:17:14

I have very determindly contiued driving on motorways and on long journeys. DH had a heart attack and other problems last year and before that his licence was suspended for three months when he was diagnosed with sleep apnoea.

We live in a large and busy village, but local buses do not take us to where we actually want to go and our children live 100 and 200 miles away with no easy public transport links.

The fact that each time he couldn't drive I could just step seamlessly into his car, adjust the seat and mirrors and then drive anywhere, including to our home in France was invaluable.

I intend to keep all my motoring skills on all kinds of roads honed for as long as possible. The one thing we have both had to bow before is the fact that both of us find night driving a lot more difficult than it was.

Jane43 Sun 27-Feb-22 14:25:17

I am 80 next year and over the last three years I have lost confidence in driving. I make myself drive the car to the shops a couple of times a week but I prefer to go on the bus. I have avoided night driving for many years now as my night vision is poor. DH has just started to lose confidence in driving on unfamiliar roads, he is also 80 next year. It is probably part of the ageing process.

Jane43 Sun 27-Feb-22 14:37:55

Monica I do agree that being able to drive our car is invaluable. My DH has been hospitalised four times over the past few years and I have had to take him to A and E twice, it was such a boon to be able to take him myself, do necessary journeys and shopping etc and not call on family members for every little thing as my DIL’s mother has to, she really regrets not learning to drive.

Kim19 Sun 27-Feb-22 17:26:27

I've just invested in some anti glare specs and what a boon. I was beginning to find those fairylight styles on modern high cars a difficulty. Sorted!

mrsnonsmoker Sun 27-Feb-22 18:47:01

@Kim19 I reckon I need those glasses, that's interesting - as is the older drivers' course sounds ideal for me!

I should have said in the OP, I am 59. That's what's worrying me - some of you are in your 70s and 80s and are still happy to drive. I keep coming back to the question why do I feel like this? I think maybe I am losing confidence all round. Maybe there is more to it than just driving hmm

Franbern Mon 28-Feb-22 10:57:26

I always felt so safe and secure in my car. Would happily drive anywhere anytime. Plenty of maps in car, later on satnavs also. Never imagined a time I would not have a car.

When I was looking for a new home many miles away from where I had always lived - a garage -was on my MUST HAVE list. And, when I did first move to Somerset, was quite happy driving to the eastern side of London to visit friends and family.

Always hoped that I was self-aware and sensible enough to know when I would need to stop driving - but it came on me quite quickly. Soon after my 80th birthday last summer, I accepted that I was no longer happy driving, by myself, back to London - preferred train.

Then, following a puncture during my weekly 6-mile round trip to Sainsbury's found myself 'listening' for noises each time I drove.

Sat down and worked out how much that weekly 6-mile round trip was costing (as it had become the only time I took the car out of the garage), and it was nearly a grand a year (Insurance, RAC cover, MOT, Service, occasional new tyre/repairs, etc). Decided I did not wish to wait either for a major accident or a series of small ones - and sold the car.

Fortunately, when I moved I had ensured that I was very close to good public transport - can use buses that stop right out my flats to and from Sainsbury's).

So, now I use my mobility scooter for all local journeys, and public transport with passenger assistance on trains, for longer journeys, and the local Dial a Ride and even the occasional taxi. Saving money, much more relaxed on all journeys.

I do not feel that, in any way, has not having a car, taken away any of my independence

PinkCosmos Mon 28-Feb-22 11:13:40

I am 64 and have never been confident driving on motorways or in the dark.

I was always fearful of joining onto the motorway from the slip road as the cars are speeding along so fast. About ten years ago I got a job that meant I had to go on a dual carriage was for part of the journey. Because of this, I have mostly got over my fear of 'joining in' but still don't enjoy motorway driving and avoid it if I can.

I also don't like driving in unfamiliar places. I do rely on my sat nav but I also Google the directions as well, just so that I have an idea of where I am supposed to be going. My sat nav comes up with some very strange routes sometimes.

JadeOlivia Mon 28-Feb-22 12:15:37

You can get yellow tinted " driving at night " glasses. Maybe think of a shared taxi if you don' t feel OK at night. Choose the time of day you go out, avoiding busiest times.

Yearoff Mon 28-Feb-22 12:15:50

So night driving became an issue a few years ago for me. Glare and difficulty seeing exits and turnings. I’ve just got myself glasses that come with a magnetic clip on night lense (it’s yellowish). Looking forward to see if it makes a difference. (I’m 57)

essjay Mon 28-Feb-22 12:19:48

Luckygirl3, my driving habits mirror yours and am also in an area where a car is a necessity if you want to get anywhere

Awesomegranny Mon 28-Feb-22 12:20:10

The one thing that puts me off driving at night is the state of the roads. Hit a pothole badly. in the middle of nowhere at night, is my worst nightmare! So I play it stay and only drive during the day. I must say people’s driving is getting worse, with little regard for others on the roads especially the impatient youngsters trying to intimidate slow drivers.

MummyJoJo62 Mon 28-Feb-22 12:21:39

very negative response I feel? A refresher course is a great idea and then she could decide herself.

AnD1 Mon 28-Feb-22 12:29:05

I find the comfort of having Satnav on has been great, it gives me confidence to make sure I’m in the correct lane etc. I never bothered before the pandemic but even my OH thinks it’s great and he being a map and paper and pen man for donkeys years.

silverlining48 Mon 28-Feb-22 12:31:18

I lost confidence driving when I was heavily pregnant years ago and witnessed another car accident.
After not driving for a long time I knew I had to force myself to drive but every time felt and was, sick and very nervous. Gradually it got easier but it took a while.

Since then all is fine, but have recently noticed that I drive less and less especially at night. I know I have to do it, I don’t want to lose it. I am 73.

Dearknees1 Mon 28-Feb-22 12:32:58

I’m 71. Had eye surgery for glaucoma (now in both eyes) and cataract removal last spring. I passed the DVLA sight test but I’m now not confident of driving at night because lights dazzle me. I’m ok in the daytime especially if it isn’t too bright. I can still drive on motorways if needed. We’ve had the same model of main car for years but each new one seems bigger and heavier plus new technology means an electric handbrake etc. As a result I don’t drive that car just a smaller increasingly ageing one. This is a problem we need to resolve hopefully by compromising on size although new technology won’t go away so I have to get my head round it. A couple of years ago we moved to somewhere where we can easily use public transport if necessary. As time goes on we need to adjust our lifestyle to lesscar dependency so if we have to give up it won’t be an enormous shock.

Farzanah Mon 28-Feb-22 12:38:22

I was an Advanced Driver and an Observer for my local group and have always felt a confident driver. However driving back home 17 miles away on country roads, on a dark rainy night recently I was shocked to find my vision was so bad, and impacting my driving.
I have my eyes tested regularly and there is nothing wrong with them apart from old age!
I think the pupils don’t dilate as well as we age or let in as much light. Am ok in town which is well lit.

Juicylucy Mon 28-Feb-22 12:43:47

Been driving since I was 17 I’m a confident driver have driven in Texas Paris and Australia I’ve no intention of giving up honestly couldn’t think of anything worse not being able to jump in the car and have change of scenery. Health willing I’ll keep driving till I physically can’t.

Leapingminnow Mon 28-Feb-22 12:50:08

Juicylucy, I agree! I feel lost when my car has to be serviced or repaired. I did the Advanced Drivers course in my late 60’s to be sure I was still up to the mark and I do drive a Prius, which cuts out gear changing. I was beginning to feel it in my knees on long journeys or in heavy traffic with constant gear changes. Can’t stand my DH’s driving either so we use my car most of the time!

gillyjp Mon 28-Feb-22 12:50:36

I lost my confidence in driving last year. I am coming up for 70 this year and was happy for my OH to drive. However he had to have an operation late last year so I had to steal myself to drive again. After a few weeks driving to the shops and to DD a few times I regained my confidence and was able to take OH to appointments and also drop him off and collect him on the day of the operation. You really need your wits about you driving in London especially or any big city or town. I'm pleased I overcame my nerves and intend to keep going now. Not sure about night driving though.

EUMAGIRL Mon 28-Feb-22 12:51:24

Having driven since I was 17, I'm a pretty experienced 74 year old (I have driven in the UAE, and all over Europe in my younger days) but around 15 years ago I started to get almost a phobia about certain roads, mainly the M25 or fast and competitive dual carriageways. My husband had always driven on motorways in recent years and if we were going any distance, so I guess it was just that I wasn't so used to the more competitive roads. It became quite bad, so I would be absolutely fine on any B roads etc. and find routes which meant I didn't need to go on the faster roads, like the A3 for example. The phobia started to really annoy me so I sought help from a counsellor. I found this sort of anxiety often hits women in particular for a biological reason.

Apparently the competitive side of driving and the adrenaline needed to keep you going on very fast roads, is likened to a womens' needs to protect their young. Therefore, the theory is that once a woman starts to age, and no longer has young to protect, those competitive, higher risk activities (of which driving is one) become less important or needed and age makes you become a bit more fragile. I actually think this theory is probably true, as nature has a way of affecting us, whether we like it or not. Thought I would share this with you ladies, What do you think.
However, as an addition to this, my daughter has recently moved nearer to me but it's still a case of my last 25 minutes being on a very fast road and I have recently conquered it, but needed to talk to myself in stern terms all the way along (you can do it, you're a good drive, keep going) etc. So it continues to be an anxious drive unless I take the smaller roads, which add an extra 20 minutes to the normal route!

HannahLoisLuke Mon 28-Feb-22 12:55:27

Like a lot of other posters I too avoid driving at night, especially if it’s raining. I’m thinking of buying a pair of night driving glasses to wear over my prescription glasses. They are expensive at around £80 and supposedly much, much better than the cheap ones with yellow lenses that are advertised in those free brochures that come with the weekend papers. The brand is Cocoon, has anybody tried them and are they effective?