Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Suddenly worried about driving - did this happen to you?

(82 Posts)
mrsnonsmoker Sun 27-Feb-22 00:28:03

I've always been a bit sceptical about women drivers who say they are nervous and up until recently I'd had no qualms, could drive day or night, usually would only like to drive for 2/3 hours at the most but no issues. Over the past couple of years I've found it more difficult to drive at night, particularly in bad weather. Now its got to the point I'm struggling even with an hour in good daylight, just feel like I'm not confident.

I hate the thought of losing my independence like this, I feel young and my friends who are a bit younger are looking at me like I'm mad - I suppose 5 years ago I would have done exactly the same.

Is losing confidence in driving as you get older the norm? Inevitable?

Mummer Tue 01-Mar-22 09:53:48

Calendargirl

A refresher course sounds like a good idea, but just a note of caution. Round here there is a waiting list for 17 year olds to have driving lessons, there is a big backlog from the pandemic and driving instructors are very booked up.

Yes there's a point...maybe if a few sessions with a friend who is a good driver ? Just to get up to speed? Not a child of yours though , they tend to think we're all muppets behind the wheel anyways even though police trained to an extremely high standard.....I'm a different driver when sons are with me.....still have the inbuilt instinct to go slow and steady?

Taichinan Tue 01-Mar-22 09:59:57

I'm with you henetha - though a mere 80! I live out in the countryside so keeping driving is important to me. I don't like driving in the dark though - but sometimes I have to, to help out family. When I do, I drive more slowly - around 40-45 on winding country roads - but I have never had anyone showing impatience by tailgating me. The other night there was snow at the sides of the roads and I got the feeling the couple of drivers who were behind me were quite glad of my caution!! In the daytime, though, I drive to the speed limits and feel confident doing so, but it must be three years since I touched a motorway (they're a bit thin on the ground round here!) I guess as time goes by, all else being equal, I will eventually confine my journeys to the very local area, or perhaps the railway station two miles away. I think common sense and caution go hand-in-hand with maturity/aging?

henetha Tue 01-Mar-22 11:56:51

I had to think about your name Taichinan. Tai Chi Nan!
What a great name.
They will have to drag my car away from me! I'm driving as long as I possibly can. It's mainly local these days, but I do drive into Cornwall or Somerset or Dorset sometimes.
(I'm in the countryside in Devon). I'm glad there is someone else apart from me who enjoys whizzing around country lanes.
smile

Farzanah Tue 01-Mar-22 16:49:32

Some years ago an elderly man in our neighbourhood started having minor bumps in his car and refused to give up driving despite his family’s concerns, so the family encouraged him to get a big old Volvo so that he’d be better protected in an accident ?

NannaFirework Tue 01-Mar-22 17:34:59

Have you had a scare whilst driving ? That would knock your confidence …
Have you had your eyes tested recently ?
Leave space and you’ll feel more in control- good luck x

Puzzled Sat 05-Mar-22 08:58:25

Since buying new cars we found night driving more difficult, but put it down to starting cataracts.
Didn't feel safe above 50 mph, as could not see far enough ahead..
At the last MOT, took a look at the headlamp setting while they were being checked.
They were set to the minimum! Asked the tester to adjust to the maximum, and night driving is so much easier with the lights having a longer range.

The DIN (German standard) is for 1% dip, while our local buses carry a plate saying 1.3%
I had adjusted our previous cars to 1% and we got on fine with that.
It would be worth having the headlamp settings checked and adjusted. It could make a big improvement.
At all times it pays to obey the two second rule, and to look well ahead.
Not only is this safer, but by being able to slow by just lifting off, it saves expensive fuel ,the need to brake, in many cases, and tyres and brakes last longer.