Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I’m quite disturbed about this, is it acceptable?

(195 Posts)
maddyone Tue 26-Apr-22 18:48:00

I’ve just returned from visiting my mother in her care home. Every time I visit, without fail, she asks me to go to the shop and buy something for her. Some things she asks for are perfectly reasonable, talcum powder, face cream, lip salve, birthday cards for various relatives, toothpaste. Other things not so reasonable, tins of soup, oxo, squash, bovril, sweets, rich tea biscuits, Pot Noodles, new cardigan, new jumpers, new underwear, shoes, and even money from her bank although there’s nothing to buy in the home. My daughter in law takes her a tv magazine every week. She complains vehemently if DiL can’t get the one she prefers and says she’s going to get DiL to go out again and get the one she wants. I told her she was not to do this as DiL has a full time job and is in the middle of moving house. I also talk to the staff and most of the food items are available, or can be made available, at the home. The food is lovely and the home offers three course meals twice a day and anything at all for breakfast plus home made cakes and biscuits.

Anyway the big question is that today, along with a request for tins of soup and something from her flat, she has asked me to buy a bottle of Disaronno. I didn’t even know what it was but it seems it’s an alcoholic drink, priced about £16. She wants it for one carer who she says is nice. She even got the carer in question to show it to me on her phone. Is this ethical? Is it allowed? I’m going to speak to the manager or deputy manager later this week when I go in. My gut feeling is that this is not right. Surely staff shouldn’t be accepting gifts like this from residents.

I should add that my husband says that the constant requests to get me to go out to buy things or get things from her flat are to do with her lifelong habit of trying to control me. He thinks she wants ensure I’m constantly doing something for her. She has narcissistic tendencies and was not a very good mother, in fact at times she was quite cruel, but she’s my mother and I try to do the best I can for her, as far as it is possible.

Sorry for long post.

kjmpde Fri 29-Apr-22 19:48:58

I think there are signs of dementia. The wanting of food items when all is provided. Maybe the conversation should begin with concern about the mental issues and add that she has asked for alcohol to give to staff. Then ask the question about gifts. No confrontation.

MissAdventure Fri 29-Apr-22 20:06:03

Maddy has already done that, as she said some time back in the thread.

grannyactivist Sat 30-Apr-22 00:23:39

I think this thread demonstrates the need to have the OP’s posts highlighted - people often don’t read the whole thread, or even simply scroll through subsequent posts looking for feedback from the OP. ?‍?

[That’s a ‘sigh’ emoji in case you were wondering.]

ALANaV Sat 30-Apr-22 00:35:42

You have to be able to get the strength to tell her you can no longer do shopping for her, as the home provides all her needs. A little thing now and then maybe (some sweets, or a small treat she likes) otherwise she is manipulating you and, as you say, you know that deep down. This is going to be hard, and may well cause upset but it needs doing. Tell the staff and management about the alcohol (probably not allowed to be given as a gift anyway !) and explain your mother will probably be upset and calling you names (my late husband, who sadly had to go into care towards the end of his life) actually wanted a lawyer so he could sue me for 'stealing his money' (he had spent it all, and I was funding the entire fee for the home from an inheritance of mine)...this was very upsetting but the home psychologist said these things are sadly fairly normal in a lot of elderly people ........if the worst comes to the worst, you will have o tell her you are not able to visit so often .............and how does she get hold of money anyway ? In my husband's case, as someone else said, every expenditure is listed and added to the monthly payment direct from the Bank...she has no need of money (my husband had asked for money, but it was a house rule that any money would be kept in the homes safe and catalogued every time he asked for money.......sad situation ...good luck

Loafrust Sat 30-Apr-22 11:40:32

I wonder if, in this instance, your mother is not so much trying to control you, but wanting to feel she still has some control over her own life. As you say, the home provides virtually everything that she needs, but most people thrive on a feeling of autonomy. She may want clothes and familiar items from her home as it’s comforting to have them around. Likewise her need to have some money may be to help her feel more normal.
You say she is forgetful. Does she have dementia? That might also be having an effect on her behaviour. Perhaps when you visit you could do something with her that makes her feel useful and gives her choices? Ask her to help you choose a dress for yourself or your daughter or play a simple board game with her. Of course you must put some limits on her demands of you and your daughter.
It doesn’t sound as if the cared is deliberately misbehaving your mother, since she was happy for you to see the picture of her with the bottle. Have a quiet word with the manager though.

Stephania1954 Sat 30-Apr-22 14:38:03

As someone who works in a care home, families sometimes try to influence and get better treatment for their family member by giving presents etc to one particular staff member It could be that your mother is trying to this. It could be innocent but that staff member might be in very uncomfortable position. They themselves should report this. Had they refused to show you the photo it might have been interpreted as being unhelpful by you.
In future I would recommend giving everything you bring in to staff to add to your mothers inventory. This will be the protocol that you should of be following. I think your husband is correct

Teacheranne Sat 30-Apr-22 14:58:30

grannyactivist

I think this thread demonstrates the need to have the OP’s posts highlighted - people often don’t read the whole thread, or even simply scroll through subsequent posts looking for feedback from the OP. ?‍?

Totally agree, other forums seem to manage that without a problem!

Tanjamaltija Sat 30-Apr-22 17:49:45

This is the amaretto in question. As far as I know, gifts to personnel are not allowed. Also, you musrt say "no" to your mother. Food is covered in the ALF and although you can get her snacks and water and squashes, they cannot cook food provided by the residents, so maybe she is passing them on to staff as bribes / gifts.

Iam64 Sat 30-Apr-22 18:22:18

Heeelllo
Maddy has dealt with the problem

Callistemon21 Sat 30-Apr-22 20:51:32

grannyactivist

This

Yesterday

Callistemon21 Sat 30-Apr-22 20:51:45

Iam64

Heeelllo
Maddy has dealt with the problem

Ad this!

Callistemon21 Sat 30-Apr-22 20:51:58

And!!

EmilyHarburn Sun 01-May-22 11:49:01

This behaviour by care assistants is not acceptable. You should report it to the homes owner by letter with a copy to the care commission inspectorate.

grannypiper Sun 01-May-22 12:02:33

My Sister was very much like this when she first went into a care home, we soon realised that she was fixating on things she had seen on tv adverts.

Iam64 Sun 01-May-22 12:09:04

I’ve not looked at mumsnet in months but - they have a catchy post -RTFT

ExDancer Sun 01-May-22 13:04:46

Staff in a home will happily heat up a tin of soup for a resident if they have the time.

Callistemon21 Sun 01-May-22 15:13:35

Iam64

I’ve not looked at mumsnet in months but - they have a catchy post -RTFT

?

DisneyTaylor1 Sun 01-May-22 18:35:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Riverwalk Sun 01-May-22 19:11:37

DisneyTaylor1

Post deleted by GNHQ

Oh, give over, we've seen your lovely opaque tights-clad pins before!

Why don't you start a thread in Style & Beauty in stead of trying to shock us.