Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Facial hair

(101 Posts)
TheodoraP Sun 08-May-22 14:19:57

As O have gotten older facial hair has become a massive problem for me

I used to use Nair facial hair remover but it burns

Now I use a lady facial hair removing roller thingy mabob

Is this just me and have you found something that Removes facial hair Permanently
( embarrassingly mostly on my chin )

mrsgreenfingers56 Mon 09-May-22 17:23:07

I think Electrolysis is the only answer here. Been going for sessions and it does work. Can be expensive but my local training college in the beauty department offer Electrolysis for the students to use as part of their training and an awful lot cheaper. Yes, they take longer but results the same and a lot cheaper. Sometimes at sessions I don't get charged as new students in needing to practice. A bit painful especially upper lip area and some red blotches the day after but pleased with the results. So do check out your local college and see if offer this service. Oh the joys of growing older ladies!

stewaris Mon 09-May-22 17:39:13

I used to have eyebrows but they are now almost non existent and I swear they're migrating to my chin. Chin hair has been a problem for a long time and I've been getting electrolysis for a long time but once a patch diminishes another one sprouts up.

undines Mon 09-May-22 19:30:49

PLEEEASE don't shave or use hair removing cream, ladies. It only strengthens the growth. Regular waxing will eventually weaken it, electrolysis should get rid of it completely - eventually - but if the hair is thick and coarse it may take a while. My facial hair is actually turning white, thank goodness, and tweezers do the trick. Long may it continue!

dogsmother Mon 09-May-22 20:59:09

I gave up on electrolysis and creams years ago, costly and painful. Instead I decided to go with a razor, it’s no problem. I shave my chin every morning and it remains clear until the next morning.

Daftbag1 Mon 09-May-22 21:30:27

I pluck! Worst bit for me is I've got severe cataracts so I don't actually see the hair until it starts curling!

nannyness Mon 09-May-22 22:20:37

At some point,I seem to have swallowed a Daddy Long Legs that is trying to escape through my face!
Not my original joke..but love it!

Shandy3 Tue 10-May-22 00:05:22

I use a NoNo

MissAdventure Tue 10-May-22 07:55:29

I have a NoNo, but I don't find it that good.
Probably I'm too impatient, but it makes all the right noises, then when I pack it away, up pop the hairs again.

Serendipity22 Tue 10-May-22 10:20:43

MissAdventure yes i too have a NoNo, absolutely useless, i move it over the hair about 1,0000000 times, I smell the burning and am surprised I have any flesh left nevermind the unwanted hair!

I thought if I have to tackle my legs with THAT, I will be at it till 2025 !!!!!

confused

MissAdventure Tue 10-May-22 10:37:03

Perhaps it would work slowly, over a period of about 50 years?
I often think I'm going to persevere with it, but then never do.

M0nica Tue 10-May-22 11:32:08

dogsmother I end up with stubble, except that now, as a result of all the electrolysis I have had over the years the problem has more or less gone. I haven't had electrolysis since Lockdown and just tweezer the very occasional coarse hair.

Franbern Thu 12-May-22 08:33:58

If shaving made hair grow stronger and thicker then, surely, male baldness would have long since been solved!!

Like others, I have some hairs that now sprout on my chin, over years tried different things, - several expensive, some hurt, none effective. Then I purchased a small ladies electric razor. Pretty object in purple, not very powerful, charges via USB, About once a week go with this for a couple of minutes and problem has completely gone now.

MissAdventure Thu 12-May-22 08:53:01

Shaving cuts the hair off and makes it blunt, rather than tapered, as it is when it's growing.
That is why hairs night look thicker.

Notthecatsmother Thu 12-May-22 11:44:48

It is the black nose hairs I have a problem with. My head hair is mid brown so I have no idea why they are black. Currently trim longer ones. Not going to pull them out.

icanhandthemback Thu 12-May-22 12:52:27

MissAdventure

Shaving cuts the hair off and makes it blunt, rather than tapered, as it is when it's growing.
That is why hairs night look thicker.

All the hairs grow back at once so it looks like you have more hair. If you stop shaving for a while, things revert to where they were before you shaved.

MissAdventure Thu 12-May-22 13:01:00

Ah, of course.
I hadn't thought that. smile

Thistlelass Mon 23-May-22 02:57:47

I just get a chin wax once a month. Not very expensive. Having it done regularly cuts the extent of regrowth and keeps me feeling confident.

GagaJo Mon 23-May-22 10:53:16

I wax my top lip. It used to last for 6 weeks before I could see the hairs, now I'm lucky if it lasts between 2 & 3 weeks.

For chin/other facial hair, I use a lighter. I can't wax anywhere other than my top lip, because it gives me a rash and I don't want to shave.

I pull or tie my hair back.
Light the lighter and just whizz it lightly over the hairy areas. They singe away.
Clean with a cold damp flannel.

Lasts about 2 weeks before I can see the faster growing hairs again.

Witzend Mon 23-May-22 11:04:27

Chin hairs are my personal bugger. More than once I’ve found a long one when we’re on the way somewhere in the car and there are no tweezers in my bag.
I always carry some now!
I know I should always wear my glasses when looking in the mirror, so I’d see the blasted things in advance, but to be frank it’s a bit scary nowadays.

Dh never notices them, or if he does, he keeps quiet. Dd1 invariably will, though!

Esspee Mon 23-May-22 11:28:16

Notthecatsmother

It is the black nose hairs I have a problem with. My head hair is mid brown so I have no idea why they are black. Currently trim longer ones. Not going to pull them out.

I have a gents nasal hair remover which does a great job. You don’t even have to look while you are doing it as it is so safe.

My OH attends a Turkish barber where they offer nasal hair waxing. They use a q-tip loaded with wax, squeeze the nostril then rip it out. Knowing him the air must be blue. It does a lovely job though, he looks so much younger with naked nostrils, trimmed eyebrows and hair free ears. Costs pennies too. I have thought of asking if they do ladies but I’m a bit of a coward when it comes to pain.

FindingNemo15 Mon 23-May-22 12:11:21

I notice electrolysis has been recommended. I only have two culprits that need attention. Can anyone tell me if I book by the hour or what and an idea of cost please?

AreWeThereYet Mon 23-May-22 14:08:27

For chin/other facial hair, I use a lighter

Blimey Gagajo that's brave shock

Knowing me I'd set my hair on fire or singe my (few remaining) eyebrows

GagaJo Mon 23-May-22 23:07:41

AreWeThereYet

^For chin/other facial hair, I use a lighter^

Blimey Gagajo that's brave shock

Knowing me I'd set my hair on fire or singe my (few remaining) eyebrows

I was a bit nervous the first time, but it's so easy. And if you miss a bit, just go over it again.

It's such an easy, cheap solution. Wax for the top lip though. Lasts longer.

lilypollen Fri 01-Jul-22 22:07:53

Had to bump this topic. Had electrolysis for years after the birth of DS2, I think it was hormones. This was never the permanent solution just a drain on my purse which I went along with. Last session was over 3 years ago, then came lockdown, salons closed and my local ceased that treatment. A couple of weeks in Tesco saw display for Veet wax strips and thought why not? I'd resisted it as electrolysis was so uncomfortable particularly the upper lip.

Why did I wait so long? They were easy to use and any discomfort was minimal. Some redness for an hour and half but I've learnt now that ice rubbed on the treated area will help this. A week on, no regrowth though I know that will happen and I will probably treat every 3 weeks. I was so pleased that I couldn't stop looking the mirror for the next two days!!

Mattsmum2 Fri 01-Jul-22 22:52:16

lilypollen

Had to bump this topic. Had electrolysis for years after the birth of DS2, I think it was hormones. This was never the permanent solution just a drain on my purse which I went along with. Last session was over 3 years ago, then came lockdown, salons closed and my local ceased that treatment. A couple of weeks in Tesco saw display for Veet wax strips and thought why not? I'd resisted it as electrolysis was so uncomfortable particularly the upper lip.

Why did I wait so long? They were easy to use and any discomfort was minimal. Some redness for an hour and half but I've learnt now that ice rubbed on the treated area will help this. A week on, no regrowth though I know that will happen and I will probably treat every 3 weeks. I was so pleased that I couldn't stop looking the mirror for the next two days!!

I’ve been using Veet wax strips for a while now, with the odd strong hair being tweezed out. I find them easy to use and I cut the strips up in to manageable pieces. Also find them useful on eyebrows. I find I have to do my ‘tash’ about once a fortnight.