Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Are you on Facebook?

(66 Posts)
CoffeeFirst1 Tue 17-May-22 18:06:59

I briefly was but found it pointless.

Too much this and that about nothing and then so many photos of people I didn’t know.

mulberry7 Tue 17-May-22 20:18:26

I go on the Facebook group Houseplant Central, reading the posts and looking at the plants, brilliant. Some of the threads are very amusing - there is a British man whose house is full of plants, and I mean full. One Englishman wrote about taking his favourites when he goes for a walk...it was amazing how many people chimed in and said they do it too smile

Maywalk Tue 17-May-22 20:30:50

BlueBelle

I ve been on FB 12 years plus and wouldn’t be without it I belong to local gardening groups, a local history group, local ‘what’s on’ groups,,help groups, the local theatre
I set up two of my own groups one for my old school and one for Syrian refugees
I belong to photographic groups, the local park,
the sea swimming group, I do lots of selling on market place
I only have friends and relations I know on my own page
I use messenger for all my free phone calls or FaceTime
I could go on an on

Like you Bluebelle I too have been on FB for over 12 years, although I have never set a group up but get folks coming to me from worldwide asking me to tell them my tales of my life that takes them through the 30s and the war years.

I also use messenger plus Facetime and it certainly comes in handy when in hospital to help keep in touch with my family.
I will be 92 on the 19th and I would be lost without my computer and I-pads.

MayBee70 Tue 17-May-22 20:36:29

Yes. I love it. Favourite page at the moment is one of old photographs. Then there’s one talking about the area where I grew up and my old school. It’s like a time machine.

Serendipity22 Tue 17-May-22 20:48:45

Yep, Im on Facebook, I post positive, uplifting captions. I post when I feel the need unlike some friends who feels the need to post anything and everything about their life haha, including detail by detail of ailments and photos of literally every meal they have cooked, ahh well, I have a choice a) read or b) scroll past...

It's not case of giving detail for detail about your life or not, I choose the latter, I don't see its anyone's buisness, but each to their own I guess.

I belong to 2 local village groups and my own village group and its great information shared to everyone so it has its benefits on that score.

smilesmilesmilesmile

Serendipity22 Tue 17-May-22 20:51:03

Sorry .....*it's a case of giving detail for detail about your life or not*

grumppa Tue 17-May-22 21:11:48

I'm on it with a handful of family and friends, and belong to four interest groups. It works for me.

annodomini Tue 17-May-22 21:34:56

I am, but with a limited number of friends.

Serendipity22 Tue 17-May-22 21:50:55

Maywalk

You're an inspiration ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ x

Maywalk Tue 17-May-22 21:57:34

Just had a new computer Serendipity22 to celebrate my 92 birthday on Thursday.
It helps keep my headlights working even if the bodywork is dropping to pieces.

BigBertha1 Tue 17-May-22 22:00:18

I've been on it for ages. It helps me run my netball groups an useful for local community infirmation. Yesterday I got some local help when DH took the top of his finger like you do with a boiled egg. Some kind person popped round with a bag of dressings for him. Locally neighbours are helping each other all the time through Facebook it's a great asset.

aonk Tue 17-May-22 22:21:11

I use Facebook and check it every day for a few minutes but very rarely post. I like to keep in touch with news of people I don’t see such friends of my AC and their families. I prefer Instagram though. There are so many people and topics to follow that you can really personalise your feed.

Elizabeth27 Tue 17-May-22 22:38:36

Does anyone follow the Gransnet Facebook group?

harrigran Tue 17-May-22 23:16:08

Yes I am on Facebook, find it useful for keeping in touch with family.
I am in a lot of groups for my local area and the antiquarian society for local history.

GagaJo Tue 17-May-22 23:27:33

As others have said, it's a way to stay in touch with international friends. A little snapshot of some of their life. I don't have many 'look at me' friends with food and triva.

I sell things on Marketplace and also use Messenger.

It's a tool to use how you want. Block what you don't want.

SueDonim Wed 18-May-22 00:05:28

I have friends worldwide and FB is very useful for keeping in touch. I’m also signed up to local groups which is great for knowing whats going on around us. V useful during Covid.

I just ignore what I'm not interested in.

Kato20 Wed 18-May-22 00:06:33

Can anyone relate to my problems with my 7yr old grandson’s maths anxiety. He has dyspraxia and has recently been vomiting and wetting the bed due to feeling a failure in maths. The school has little or no SENCO and his teacher tells him to try harder when he asks for help. As A retired teacher myself I find it appalling that he is being made to feel a failure and no one seems able to work with him at his own level. I am very worried about what the future holds for my sweet little child !

BlueBelle Wed 18-May-22 00:34:50

Well done maywalk you re an inspiration ??
Is it your birthday tomorrow? if so Happy Birthday to you (I’m singing)

Those who are dismissing it I believe don’t actually use it apart from occasionally looking at their news feed and just see ‘braggy’ posts
There is SOOO much more to FB than the newsfeed
When my young friend in Africa told me in messenger that he had had trouble for years with tinnitus I sent him a Fb link to a tinnitus support group on there he had NO idea it was such a common problem and gained lots of ideas and help and support
If you only check your newsfeed you are truly missing out

If you have an interest put the name into the ‘find’ box and see what comes up you will be utterly surprised at the worldwide volume of information and support

I haven’t even touched on how helpful it is to find missing people, cats, dogs, items
Someone puts up their daughter or son hasn’t come home from school on some local group and before five minutes people are out looking

The ‘bragging’ bit is minuscule against its great uses You are missing out Coffeefirst and other anti folks ??

Greenfinch Wed 18-May-22 06:28:50

Kato I advise you to start a new thread entitled “grandson’s maths anxiety” and I am sure you will get some helpful responses.

Serendipity22 Wed 18-May-22 06:35:18

Maywalk

Just had a new computer Serendipity22 to celebrate my 92 birthday on Thursday.
It helps keep my headlights working even if the bodywork is dropping to pieces.

This is just FANNNNNNNTASTIC to read. What a lady Maywalk.

? HAPPY BIRTHDAY ?. X

Maudi Wed 18-May-22 06:51:49

I love Facebook and belong to lots of groups, there are groups on every subject under the sun, public and private ones to join.

BlueBalou Wed 18-May-22 06:56:39

Yes I am on Facebook, I never post on my personal news feed but I belong to a few groups (knitting,, crochet, gardening and village) and I find it really useful and informative.
I can not remember ever seeing anyone bragging because I don’t follow any personal news feeds at all! It’s not compulsory to do so, it’s entirely up to the individual.
I find it brilliant for selling the odd item too and for local updates - yesterday there was an accident locally just before I was leaving to take someone to an appointment. If I hadn’t seen the post I could have have been stuck in traffic for several hours because the road was blocked and there aren’t any alternative routes in that direction.. It’s things like that that are so useful as well.

dragonfly46 Wed 18-May-22 06:57:24

Yes I use FB. I use it to keep up with friends world wide, to sell stuff eg old clutter and give stuff away, to keep up with the local community and I found support groups invaluable when going through cancer treatments.

I find those who turn their noses up at it are generally those who have never used it or do not realise it’s full potential.

Maudi Wed 18-May-22 07:32:02

I think Facebook is a much nicer place than GN people can't hide behind a made up name like they do on here.

BlueSky Wed 18-May-22 07:32:19

Same here BlueBelle! smile

BlueSky Wed 18-May-22 07:37:17

I haven’t seen any ‘bragging’, in fact I love reading about friends’ holidays, meals out and generally catching up with their lives. I’m very selective about accepting new friends.