Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Are you on Facebook?

(66 Posts)
CoffeeFirst1 Tue 17-May-22 18:06:59

I briefly was but found it pointless.

Too much this and that about nothing and then so many photos of people I didn’t know.

Redhead56 Mon 23-May-22 20:21:08

No because of the business we ran it wouldn't have been appropriate. Now that we are retired still not remotely interested.

sazz1 Mon 23-May-22 18:27:36

I use it mainly to help others by sharing missing people and pets, local problems eg road closures, accidents, burglary locations etc. Also recalls of food or other products. Sometimes share gofundme pages for good causes too.
I keep in touch with family and friends with FB messenger which is more private. Also sell and buy a few thing on FB market place.
I never put personal details on there eg when I'm off on holiday, photos of dogs and DGC, when I'm out shopping etc. This is high risk. Don't have anyone I haven't met in person as a friend either

AreWeThereYet Fri 20-May-22 18:51:28

Yes. But only very privately with family and friends, to keep in touch with them all over the world. Don't post photos as a rule, in fact very rarely post, but do read posts from others and reply sometimes. Also belong to two local village groups to get local news, a gluten free cooking site and a couple of other groups.

Urmstongran Fri 20-May-22 18:44:18

Nope.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 20-May-22 18:37:20

I have been on it for many many years, it keeps me in touch with the many friends I have made worldwide. I am also able to keep in touch with the younger generation in my family and often chat to go late at night about problems in life etc. I love it.

crazyH Fri 20-May-22 18:26:46

Yes and I I love it - all my friends are spread and wide and this is one/only way way of getting in touch with everyone in one fell swoop. I never post pictures of the grandchildren, without their parents ‘ permission
Maywalk happy birthday!!

Froglady Fri 20-May-22 18:01:41

It's not so much that Facebook do competitions themselves, it's that a lot of comps can only be entered on Facebook or Twitter or Instagram.

CoffeeFirst1 Thu 19-May-22 19:40:04

Froglady

I am on it but mainly for entering competitions.

They do competitions! Hmm…I may have to reconsider joining again. I love my competitions.

CoffeeFirst1 Thu 19-May-22 19:37:57

Maywalk

Just had a new computer Serendipity22 to celebrate my 92 birthday on Thursday.
It helps keep my headlights working even if the bodywork is dropping to pieces.

Oh how lovely! ???

CoffeeFirst1 Thu 19-May-22 19:36:31

Jaxjacky

As the OP hasn’t returned is this a fishing post?

Look on the first page I’ve replied to Casdon.

Did you not have your glasses on ?

DiamondLily Thu 19-May-22 09:51:18

Yes, I keep in touch with friends and relatives from everywhere across the globe, on it.

I love hearing everyone's news.

I can't stand Twitter though...?

Maggiemaybe Wed 18-May-22 08:39:38

I check it out every morning to see if there’s any local news - unlike DH who despises Facebook and prefers to get it all a week later in the local paper. grin I’m also on a couple of interest groups and an old girls’ one, and like to keep up with what friends I no longer see are up to. I have very few (Facebook) friends, so don’t get a lot of unwanted stuff. I must admit that in the early days I did post holiday photos - some friends said they liked to see them and a lot of them cheer me up now when they pop up as memories. I rarely post though these days.

Jaxjacky Wed 18-May-22 08:14:48

As the OP hasn’t returned is this a fishing post?

Blondiescot Wed 18-May-22 08:12:05

Maudi

I think Facebook is a much nicer place than GN people can't hide behind a made up name like they do on here.

Oh yes they can! You can set up a profile with any name you choose and many people do exactly that.

Froglady Wed 18-May-22 07:43:52

I am on it but mainly for entering competitions.

BlueSky Wed 18-May-22 07:37:17

I haven’t seen any ‘bragging’, in fact I love reading about friends’ holidays, meals out and generally catching up with their lives. I’m very selective about accepting new friends.

BlueSky Wed 18-May-22 07:32:19

Same here BlueBelle! smile

Maudi Wed 18-May-22 07:32:02

I think Facebook is a much nicer place than GN people can't hide behind a made up name like they do on here.

dragonfly46 Wed 18-May-22 06:57:24

Yes I use FB. I use it to keep up with friends world wide, to sell stuff eg old clutter and give stuff away, to keep up with the local community and I found support groups invaluable when going through cancer treatments.

I find those who turn their noses up at it are generally those who have never used it or do not realise it’s full potential.

BlueBalou Wed 18-May-22 06:56:39

Yes I am on Facebook, I never post on my personal news feed but I belong to a few groups (knitting,, crochet, gardening and village) and I find it really useful and informative.
I can not remember ever seeing anyone bragging because I don’t follow any personal news feeds at all! It’s not compulsory to do so, it’s entirely up to the individual.
I find it brilliant for selling the odd item too and for local updates - yesterday there was an accident locally just before I was leaving to take someone to an appointment. If I hadn’t seen the post I could have have been stuck in traffic for several hours because the road was blocked and there aren’t any alternative routes in that direction.. It’s things like that that are so useful as well.

Maudi Wed 18-May-22 06:51:49

I love Facebook and belong to lots of groups, there are groups on every subject under the sun, public and private ones to join.

Serendipity22 Wed 18-May-22 06:35:18

Maywalk

Just had a new computer Serendipity22 to celebrate my 92 birthday on Thursday.
It helps keep my headlights working even if the bodywork is dropping to pieces.

This is just FANNNNNNNTASTIC to read. What a lady Maywalk.

? HAPPY BIRTHDAY ?. X

Greenfinch Wed 18-May-22 06:28:50

Kato I advise you to start a new thread entitled “grandson’s maths anxiety” and I am sure you will get some helpful responses.

BlueBelle Wed 18-May-22 00:34:50

Well done maywalk you re an inspiration ??
Is it your birthday tomorrow? if so Happy Birthday to you (I’m singing)

Those who are dismissing it I believe don’t actually use it apart from occasionally looking at their news feed and just see ‘braggy’ posts
There is SOOO much more to FB than the newsfeed
When my young friend in Africa told me in messenger that he had had trouble for years with tinnitus I sent him a Fb link to a tinnitus support group on there he had NO idea it was such a common problem and gained lots of ideas and help and support
If you only check your newsfeed you are truly missing out

If you have an interest put the name into the ‘find’ box and see what comes up you will be utterly surprised at the worldwide volume of information and support

I haven’t even touched on how helpful it is to find missing people, cats, dogs, items
Someone puts up their daughter or son hasn’t come home from school on some local group and before five minutes people are out looking

The ‘bragging’ bit is minuscule against its great uses You are missing out Coffeefirst and other anti folks ??

Kato20 Wed 18-May-22 00:06:33

Can anyone relate to my problems with my 7yr old grandson’s maths anxiety. He has dyspraxia and has recently been vomiting and wetting the bed due to feeling a failure in maths. The school has little or no SENCO and his teacher tells him to try harder when he asks for help. As A retired teacher myself I find it appalling that he is being made to feel a failure and no one seems able to work with him at his own level. I am very worried about what the future holds for my sweet little child !