Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How lucky are you?

(32 Posts)
CoffeeFirst1 Fri 20-May-22 22:30:16

What was the last thing you won?

I won a Christmas hamper about 4 years ago, nothing since ?

Iam64 Mon 23-May-22 19:09:37

Puzzled

VERY!
Married to a lovely, hard working, partner. Just celebrated our 58th wedding anniversary.
In reasonable health (OK, don't run anywhere, certainly not up or down stairs, any more)
We both walk without a stick
We have a lovely DD and GC.
Able to cover our costs, and live in a comfortable weatherproof house.
What not be feel happy and lucky about?

Well said Puzzled. I’ve been very lucky in the same way, though recent news is less fortunate. That has increased my awareness of the need to count blessings in the ordinary. Winning the lottery wouldn’t change what many of us face

tidyskatemum Mon 23-May-22 19:03:09

I’ve been entering competitions for a few years. Biggest wins have been a couple of £500 worth of clothing and once £500 cash. I do find that wins seem to come in 3s. I’ve recently won £2000 on the local hospice lottery (which I had forgotten I was still paying into!) and today I got an email saying I’d won a linen bread bag in a magazine competition. I’m holding my breath in anticipation of win no 3.

Puzzled Mon 23-May-22 17:39:32

VERY!
Married to a lovely, hard working, partner. Just celebrated our 58th wedding anniversary.
In reasonable health (OK, don't run anywhere, certainly not up or down stairs, any more)
We both walk without a stick
We have a lovely DD and GC.
Able to cover our costs, and live in a comfortable weatherproof house.
What not be feel happy and lucky about?

dogsmother Sat 21-May-22 13:22:31

Never anything massive, but a fair few smaller things over the years and I certainly do consider myself to be a very lucky person. I truly don’t think I’m the sort of person to land a big one though, I just don’t think that’s me.

Redhead56 Sat 21-May-22 13:05:47

Three bottles of wine which we won at the rugby club before lockdown. We won forty pounds after the lockdown at the club very pleased both times it’s nice to win something.

Blossoming Sat 21-May-22 11:21:25

A pair of mushroom suede slouch boots from Hotter.

jane1956 Sat 21-May-22 11:15:55

I do win lots, BUT i enter lots too, people who say "I never win anything" alway get the same reply from me "How many do you enter?" Mine is law of averages I think. Big ones in last six months include A Product of the year goody bag, a PS5 and a "Cult Beauty Advent Calendar (worth £1000) lots of smaller wins pens, cricket set pass the pugs game £50 Greggs voucher

Kate1949 Sat 21-May-22 11:09:49

Oh yes I forgot about the Premium Bonds. We get a small win most months.

Marmight Sat 21-May-22 11:04:43

£25 on Ernie last month
Best was a trip to Boston in the early days of Classic FM

Grannynannywanny Sat 21-May-22 10:56:56

I won a tin of beans from a tombola stall. It was from a multipack and it was 3 months out of date.

BrightandBreezy Sat 21-May-22 10:51:53

4 numbers on the national lottery on a 'must be won' roll down week. Received £460.

Kate1949 Sat 21-May-22 09:48:35

A £200 voucher for a store of my choice on Gransnet a few years ago.

silverlining48 Sat 21-May-22 09:46:56

I don’t think I have ever won anything sad

Menopaws Sat 21-May-22 09:10:58

Three bottles of wine from five tombola tickets. It was the nastiest wine ever tasted!!

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 21-May-22 08:30:45

When I was 10 I won a prize for finding all the hidden Corona bottles in a picture, I coloured them all in with red ink and they sent a letter with the prize saying what a good idea it was. However, I don’t remember the prize, probably Corona drinks.
Recently I won 2 boxes of coffee cups and saucers in the Village Fete raffle.
So a big gap of nearly 60 years!

Kim19 Sat 21-May-22 08:27:16

Won a freezer full of various meats, a hostess trolley and some cash on a tv quiz. Other than that bits and pieces along the way. Consider myself decidedly lucky but patiently waiting for Ernie to come up with the big one.

GagaJo Sat 21-May-22 08:24:54

Not me, but my bloke won a competition to a book award in London. Prize included train fares and a fab hotel overnight, and then attending a reception and the awards at the Mandarin Oriental.

Downside was that he got so drunk on free champagne that he was really hung over the next day and we couldn't do much.

Grandmabatty Sat 21-May-22 08:18:33

I won the Cadbury essay competition in primary school. The prize was 30 bars of chocolate. I don't suppose you would get that now ?. I was very popular for a while. My husband at the time once won a family weekend to a lovely hotel in the Lake District. That was fabulous.

Witzend Sat 21-May-22 08:18:11

Last thing I won was several years ago - a hamper at a Christmas party raffle at my mother’s care home. We were expecting guests - house was already stuffed with food and I had more on order, so I phone the Sally Army to ask whether they’d like it.
Someone came to collect it within 20 minutes!

monk08 Sat 21-May-22 08:16:40

Most recent win was a smart watch which my son is now wearing. In the past I've won a car, holidays, electrical items, books, a makeover and personal shopper.
My favourite win was a ballooning holiday in Italy such a lovely experience.

Gingster Sat 21-May-22 08:12:45

I won a meal for two at the Grovenor Hotel in London, at a ladies luncheon for charity. It was the best meal I’ve ever had.!

Calendargirl Sat 21-May-22 07:27:21

I won a Roberts radio in a Gransnet competition. Arrived just before Christmas one year. So chuffed.

Am listening to Spartacus ( The Onedin Line) theme on it as I type.

tanith Sat 21-May-22 07:21:25

I was staying in the country when I was 10 for my annual week of Summer holiday with my aunt and we went to the village fete where I played a golf game. Turned out I had the highest score of the afternoon and won a cut and perm at the village hairdressers, my aunt took the voucher and bought me an ice-cream instead. I did when a blue-ray player when I first joined Gransnet and my Premium bonds do ok so I guess I am a little lucky.

Mollygo Sat 21-May-22 00:19:01

I recently won a sweepstake for guessing the weight of a colleague’s new baby. Quite funny really, as I used to teach her xx years ago.

GrandmaSeaDragon Sat 21-May-22 00:05:43

Almost a snap, Marydoll! In 1970 (before we were married) we had just bought our first home (with both fathers standing guarantors to allow us an extra £1,000 on the mortgage). We were in a large department store and I wanted to look at fabric, so DH to be wandered off to the electrical department, where there was a free draw for a colour TV. A week later, he got a call telling him he had won it! We were so lucky, it was one of the few new things we had in our first home!