Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Helen Mirren

(132 Posts)
honeyrose Sat 28-May-22 10:39:21

What do you think to Helen Mirren’s hair and make-up sported this week at the Cannes Film Festival? I normally think that HM is beautifully groomed and doesn’t look her age, yet has that edgy styling which helps her look younger and sassier. I think she went overboard at the recent film festival though. It makes her look older and rather - dare I say it - witchy. Nil points from me!

Purplepixie Tue 31-May-22 12:36:24

I love it! She is allowed to look which ever way she chooses. Go for it girl!

DanniRae Tue 31-May-22 12:32:51

Riverwalk

Actresses, including A-listers & Oscar-winners like the lovely HM, pose on the red carpet in their finery. They turn, twirl, look over their shoulder coyly to make sure there's access to shots of their bum for tomorrow's papers.

It's all part of showbiz razzamatazz selling the film/brand.

They're fair game for posters to comment on their fashion choice, particularly when it's a somewhat different look!

It's not heartbreaking, unsisterly or unkind.

Riverwalk
I totally agree!

SuzieHi Tue 31-May-22 08:59:07

Witch like! Think she looks much better with short hair.

AussieNanna Tue 31-May-22 02:44:43

Paperbackwriter

Do we HAVE to tear women to bits for their clothing choices? It's really so unsisterly!

well I dont think we were tearing her to bits - but we can comment on her appearance and style choices

as we could about a man too.

TiggyW Tue 31-May-22 00:08:12

Is HM perhaps being cast as wife/mother of Legolas of Rivendell?!

Saetana Mon 30-May-22 21:10:20

Beautiful dress - but if my ears stuck out that much I would not be emphasising them with that particular hairstyle. I think the hair would have looked great if it wasn't pulled back so far off her face.

4allweknow Mon 30-May-22 18:05:17

Seems to have dressed using every must have application. Long straight hair pulled tight, pale complexion, black eyes, a stance that no one uses ( looks like she is about to urinate standing up), heavy black shoes?. Definitely trying to keep up with the youngsters. HM can do that without making such a mess of herself. If she has a fashion advisor, woukd question her ability.

Arto1s Mon 30-May-22 17:01:27

Her look here gets 2 thumbs down from me.

Fae1 Mon 30-May-22 15:48:51

Not a fan either I'm afraid!

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 30-May-22 14:35:10

I think most said they liked the dress Paperbackwriter, but queried the shoes with it. The comments have been about her hair and makeup and people have said how much better normally looks.

Riverwalk Mon 30-May-22 14:30:30

Actresses, including A-listers & Oscar-winners like the lovely HM, pose on the red carpet in their finery. They turn, twirl, look over their shoulder coyly to make sure there's access to shots of their bum for tomorrow's papers.

It's all part of showbiz razzamatazz selling the film/brand.

They're fair game for posters to comment on their fashion choice, particularly when it's a somewhat different look!

It's not heartbreaking, unsisterly or unkind.

FannyCornforth Mon 30-May-22 14:21:18

Paperbackwriter

Do we HAVE to tear women to bits for their clothing choices? It's really so unsisterly!

No one has torn anyone to bits on this thread.

Jess20 Mon 30-May-22 14:19:41

She's wonderful whatever she does

Paperbackwriter Mon 30-May-22 14:19:10

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 30-May-22 13:23:18

Heartbreaking? You can’t be serious.

Kate1949 Mon 30-May-22 13:22:13

I would never criticise anyone's appearance. Goodness knows what struggles people go through.

FannyCornforth Mon 30-May-22 13:20:36

Heartbreaking

Have you read the thread? It’s full of love for Ms Mirren!
My main bone of contention was her choice of footwear

VioletSky Mon 30-May-22 13:12:31

I agree, this thread is very dark

Women I love are the ones who lift each other up

Public figure or not, this is heartbreaking

We all walk around in the public eye and the way some women judge each other on appearance is just heartbreaking honestly

FannyCornforth Mon 30-May-22 13:08:13

kevincharley

Fanny
It's the advent of social media that's the real problem. Too many people keen to fling dirt. And it's spilled over into real life. For some reason too many people think that being nasty is ok.
The old saying 'if you've nothing nice to say, don't say anything' seems to be long forgotten. Sadly.

Well it’s you who said that you ‘didn’t like women’!
That’s not very nice, is it!

FannyCornforth Mon 30-May-22 13:06:57

BlueSky

Generally Fanny not just on this thread and not just about appearance.

Yes, I do know what you mean BlueSky
And self critical too.
It’s extremely negative thinking

kevincharley Mon 30-May-22 13:05:12

Fanny
It's the advent of social media that's the real problem. Too many people keen to fling dirt. And it's spilled over into real life. For some reason too many people think that being nasty is ok.
The old saying 'if you've nothing nice to say, don't say anything' seems to be long forgotten. Sadly.

BlueSky Mon 30-May-22 13:02:29

Generally Fanny not just on this thread and not just about appearance.

FannyCornforth Mon 30-May-22 13:00:14

BlueSky
Every single post says how wonderful and beautiful Ms Mirren is and how she usually looks top notch.
No one is actually criticising her ; just her choice of outfit etc, or indeed her choice of stylist.

KG1241 Mon 30-May-22 12:59:47

Didn’t like how she looked, much prefer her with short hair

BlueSky Mon 30-May-22 12:57:32

I’m afraid Kevin is absolutely right. As they say women are other women’s worst enemy!