Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandparents rights or lack of.

(29 Posts)
angiexx Sun 29-May-22 12:27:46

Hi, I’m new to this so please bare with me, long story short, my only grandchild was born 8 years ago, my daughter went back to work and I quit my job to look after my GD full time, 10 hours a day 5 days a week and of course the weekend babysitting duties. I loved it, my GD and I have a special bond… then my daughter married last year and since then has placed my GD in after school club and I literally have to beg to see my GD which is usually a NO as too busy, I live just around the corner from them… my heart is broke, when I do see my GD maybe for 5 minutes when I drop magazines or sweets for her she asks me why we can’t see other, she cries and that sets me off but I’ve no answers, my daughter sees this but it’s like she has a brick instead of a heart.. it’s all about her new husband and his family now. I’ve asked my daughter many times but she doesn't reply either. I sent her begging texts, angry ones and tearful ones but to no avail… I’ve written to her but nothing. I’m at a loss and can’t believe that grandparents have no rights at all. This isn’t right! Any advice would be grateful. Thanks

VioletSky Mon 30-May-22 16:21:19

Hard as it is OP, you have had some very good advice here.

You really do need to change your behavioir to see your grandchild amd finding yourself other interests would be of great benefit to you.

Anyine in a childs life reaxhes the day where gradchildren really are more interested in other things. Parents have this too.

Fixing the relationship with your daughter will lead to tike with yiur grandaughter and making that time quality over quantity and working around her schedule will hopefullly get you time together for the longer run

Madgran77 Tue 31-May-22 09:23:26

angie I am sorry that you are hurting, that is hard for you. A few suggestions for you to think about, I hope that they are helpful

1. You are desperately missing what you previously had with your grandaughter (understandably) and that appears to be making you focus on only that aspect of the problem. This is unlikely to be the way to find mutually compatible solutions for yourself, your daughter and her family

2. Looking after your grandaughter every day plus some weekends for so long, has possibly hindered your ability to build other interests and activities as part of your life. Do you need to work on that now?
3. When you were providing so much childcare what types of other interactions did you have with your daughter and her family? Meals at each others houses separate to childcare time? Family outings? Xmas's together? If you had those previously are those interactions continuing or have those also stopped as well? If they have, then why?
4. Have you told your daughter that you understand that things are different now, that childcare isn't needed etc?
5. Have you spoken about what she would like your relationship with her daughter to evolve into?
6. Have you made any suggestions about possible new dynamics in the relationship? Maybe a common interest that the two of you can share which would be beneficial to your grandaughter and to the relationship.
Examples might be:
- a shared love of baking, coming round to help you make afternoon tea for everyone, then mum and rest of family coming to enjoy it all?
- booking an adult /cooking clas with granddaughter
-a shared love of painting/ drawing/ crafts , having an afternoon to do that together

7. Those things can only happen if your daughter feels that they are beneficial to her daughter and if your relationship with your daughter is mutually respectful.
8. Focusing on your relationship with your daughter might help you with moving to a new relationship with your grandaughter and also with her family

I do empathise with the pain you are feeling about what you had with your grandaughter. Focusing on the wider issues around that, as above, might help to find a solution. Focusing on what you have "lost", tge decisions you daughter has made that have now impacted, mistakes made etc won't find new solutions, or new ways of building relationships

I truly hope that you can all work out a way forward together flowers

Nannashirlz Thu 02-Jun-22 13:47:44

Unfortunately we as grandparents have no rights at all. I had a great bond with my granddaughter baby sat went days out every weekend at mine. Then her mum divorced my son. So then they was court battle then her mum remarried and he had too much to say well anyway my time with my granddaughter is now 24hrs when she is with her dad and his new wife. I now see her once every 2/3 months and her mum likes to ignore what court said and she is now divorcing mr gobalot lol so I would say be thankful what you got it can go in a heartbeat