Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Washing stains

(38 Posts)
Suze5052 Thu 16-Jun-22 09:20:12

Does anyone know what causes this to my washing? It's a new machine, as my old machine did it! They don't come out - it's a proper stain!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 18-Jun-22 15:24:26

Have you tried rubbing washing-up liquid onto the stain when the cloth is completely dry?

Then roll up the washing and leave it for a day or so until the washing-up liquid is dry, then wash the clothes on the cycle you usually use.

I get rid of all stains including grass and plum stains this way.

GranJan60 Sat 18-Jun-22 15:43:10

Ex Hotpoint Customer Service here. Have also had this problem myself. It’s often caused by gunk etc building up inside the drum and gasket because of low temp. washes. The best thing is to use hottest possible wash with bio. Washing powder (not liquid) at regular intervals and make sure you wipe around the drum and gasket afterwards.

4allweknow Sat 18-Jun-22 19:21:45

Have you tried Biotex. Usually removes all manner of stains once soaked then washed in bio washing powder. Must be a nightmare occurring with both machines. Anyone else in your area have tge same problem, just in case it is sediment or something in pipes.

kevincharley Sun 19-Jun-22 18:21:54

MerylStreep

I’ve used WD40 on stubborn stains with success.

Doesn't sound daft at all. It's the conclusion I've drawn when rust spots have appeared on my laundry when no other explanation can be attributed.
Properties after around 1970 won't have lead pipes but those before will more than likely have lead pipes somewhere between the mains and the tap.

doormouse Mon 20-Jun-22 13:00:01

Pour lemon juice on the stain and leave it to dry in full sunshine.

GraceQuirrel Mon 20-Jun-22 13:36:04

Where do you store your bedding? Have a look there for rust.

Mamma66 Mon 20-Jun-22 13:40:24

I have sometimes got rust marks from clothes pegs. Have you tried ‘Shout’ it is fab. I have tried the equivalents when I can’t get ‘Shout’ but they are nowhere near as good.

Auntieflo Mon 20-Jun-22 15:00:40

Mamma66. I used to love Shout, but haven't seen it for ages.
Waitrose used to stock it, but no longer.
One of their staff recommended their own brand stain remover. It's not bad, but it's not Shout

sazz1 Mon 20-Jun-22 19:57:03

There is a rust remover I think it's called stain devils. Was brilliant on a white coat with metal buttons. U just wet the fabric n sprinkle on the powder. It disappears in a few minutes then wash it in the machine

F1Grandma2 Mon 20-Jun-22 20:34:18

Do you use a washing machine cleaner on a regular basis and clean the door seal and dispenser drawer? Something could be leaving a residue in your machine.

Mamma66 Tue 28-Jun-22 03:02:55

Auntieflo

*Mamma66*. I used to love Shout, but haven't seen it for ages.
Waitrose used to stock it, but no longer.
One of their staff recommended their own brand stain remover. It's not bad, but it's not Shout

I buy it from Asda or Morrisons I think? I usually tend to buy two or three bottles when I see it, as it not sold everywhere. Hope you find some smile

Poppyjo Tue 28-Jun-22 03:47:24

Strangely enough I am having awful problems with stains on my slacks in particular. I use bleach for the toilet and sink and to sweeten dishcloths in the sink. It does not matter how careful I am they all finish up with bleach stains. I always hold the bottle well away. Last week I had to throw a nearly new pair out as the hem was covered nearly all the way round. Perhaps I am a contortionist in my sleep ?. Short of stopping using it I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions please? Printable ?