Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Has anyone heard of this?

(20 Posts)
Avaneedslove Wed 29-Jun-22 18:16:17

It sounds quite modern and sarcastic to me lol...something one of my teens my say if someone is acting in a confrontational way..x

Yammy Tue 28-Jun-22 16:04:37

Ali08

I'm from the NE and have heard both 'Ooh braves' and 'Swanky'. Though not heard 'Swanky' said that much down south where I live now.

She's right swanky her, from Jesmond all fur and nee knickers. One I often heard in the Northeast.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 28-Jun-22 15:58:42

Surely Miranda in Shakespeare's Tempest exclaimed "Oh brave new world that has such people in it!"upon seeing other people apart from her father and the monster Caliban for the first time?

Could "OOh braves" be a shorten form of her exclamation intended to express astonishment at someone's get-up or behaviour?

Beechnut Sun 26-Jun-22 18:49:49

Ali08

I'm from the NE and have heard both 'Ooh braves' and 'Swanky'. Though not heard 'Swanky' said that much down south where I live now.

What context was ‘Ooh braves’ used in the NE Ali08?

I’m watching Best of Britain by the Sea and they’ve just used ‘Swanky’ to describe their accommodation on the Isle of Wight.

Aldom Sun 26-Jun-22 14:49:20

Don't lose your brave is an expression I heard in my Shropshire days. It was used when someone was experiencing difficult or sad times.
Perhaps ooh braves has a similar meaning?

Doodledog Sun 26-Jun-22 11:02:52

tiredoldwoman

Doodledog - I did axe throwing last month ! I was useless, I wouldn't make a good Viking after all . If the target was my ex husband my aim might have been truer ?
Beechnut, I'm from Scotland but have never heard 'ooh braves' either .

Was it fun though?

Ali08 Sun 26-Jun-22 03:07:47

Beechnut Sat 25-Jun-22 06:32:37

I’ve heard of swanky. I think my ‘braves’ must have been made up by my mum. I’ve never heard anyone else use it.

I’m keeping out of the way of the axe throwers ??

Esspee Sat 25-Jun-22 06:07:54

Swanky car, swanky fur coat but never heard ooh braves.

tiredoldwoman Sat 25-Jun-22 05:51:06

Doodledog - I did axe throwing last month ! I was useless, I wouldn't make a good Viking after all . If the target was my ex husband my aim might have been truer ?
Beechnut, I'm from Scotland but have never heard 'ooh braves' either .

NotSpaghetti Sat 25-Jun-22 05:43:20

Caravan, my family used "swanky" but it wasn't derogatory- just a statement of something rather showy/fancy... as in "oooh, that's swanky"
"Braves" is new to me though. Sorry.

Doodledog Fri 24-Jun-22 21:41:20

Axe throwing is becoming popular, for reasons I don't understand. If it's got something to do with tomahawks, maybe it's that?

(You go to a centre and it's supervised - people don't throw them at each other.)

Urmstongran Fri 24-Jun-22 21:36:06

Nor me.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 24-Jun-22 20:39:41

I’m from Southampton and never heard of it either.

Swanky, yes.

Shinamae Fri 24-Jun-22 16:24:37

Never heard of it..

BlueBelle Fri 24-Jun-22 16:21:11

Well I think swanky is a general word we always used that and
I m not from London or anywhere near
I ve never heard of the ‘oh braves’ remark though

CaravanSerai Fri 24-Jun-22 16:19:03

As well as courageous, "brave" it can also mean to dress showily, to boast, to bully or to menace. Might any of those have applied in the context in which your mum was using the expression?

My Londoner gran used to use the words swank, swanks or swanky to describe people who were showing off fine possessions - words I haven't heard in a long time - possibly too close to a commonly used modern-day soundalike.

Her neighbour's son has made a lot of money black-marketeering in the war and would park his Rolls Royce outside his mum's council house. My gran called him Tommy Swanks - which wasn't his surname!

Beechnut Fri 24-Jun-22 16:07:13

I have wondered that H1954. My mum was from Southampton.

H1954 Fri 24-Jun-22 15:23:40

I have never heard it........could it be a regional thing?

Beechnut Fri 24-Jun-22 14:51:10

Has anyone heard of ‘ooh braves’? I’m unsure of the spelling and when I googled it things about tomahawks came up. It was something my mum often said which I always took to be some kind of bad behaviour. I’ve never heard anyone else use it and wondered if it was one of ‘hers’.