Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Double decker bus

(34 Posts)
CBT61 Wed 06-Jul-22 20:59:12

My three year old granddaughter wants to go on a bus. I’d like to take her somewhere where she can sit on the top deck. I was thinking of a tourist bus in Oxford- not too far away from us but it’s very expensive! Any one got any other ideas? We are just outside Milton Keynes.

CBT61 Fri 22-Jul-22 00:30:08

I have to wait another 7 years to get a bus pass

Gin Wed 13-Jul-22 22:30:39

The 70 to Dunstable is a double decker, stops at the pyramid by MK shopping centre, at least it was earlier this year.

Nannagarra Wed 13-Jul-22 22:19:52

Reading your post, CBT61, reminded me of my DGD when she was a toddler. Even though our local buses are single deckers she wanted to ‘go upstairs’. This made me fondly smile but she was correct: to access the rear seats it is necessary to climb two steps. For her it was an exciting novelty as Prentice rightly remarks.
I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time taking your DGD on a double decker, CBT61. My DGD would love it. eazybee is probably having to compete with DH and I when we venture further afield!

Prentice Wed 13-Jul-22 19:24:38

When a child I used to want a ride in a car, buses were too everyday, now our grandchildren like a bus ride whenever they can.
Do you not have a double decker where you live, am surprised.

welbeck Wed 13-Jul-22 18:11:13

most over 60s will have a bus pass for free travel.
and little children usually go free.

CBT61 Wed 13-Jul-22 18:02:32

Thanks all! I’ll post when we have our day out!

Puzzled Thu 07-Jul-22 22:47:19

Lots of intercity buses are double deck
Even if it means taking a single to another town to find one.
For a 3 yo it would make an exciting day out.
Some towns run local services with double deckers, so no need for an expensive tourist bus to do a round trip..
Examples, Peterborough to Kings Lynn, via Wisbech. Linx
Peterborough to Cambridge, via the busway. Stagecoach
Peterborough to Bourne
Peterborough to Stamford. For some services, check on Google Both Delaine
A bus pass makes it a lot cheaper!.

Elrel Thu 07-Jul-22 15:11:26

Mrs Eggy - Sorry, cross post! Good to see another fan of the Outer Circle!

Elrel Thu 07-Jul-22 15:09:14

CBT61 - Since your granddaughter has never been on a bus wouldn’t a single decker fine for a first trip? A ride on a double decker can come later.
We are lucky in Birmingham to have the Number 11 Outer Circle service. It is the longest urban bus route in Europe at 27 miles and passes many places of interest. My mother used to go round every year, one time she took with her a delighted small boy whom she minded.

H1954 Thu 07-Jul-22 15:06:08

lixy

Pack a picnic and go on a 'mystery tour'. Doesn't need to be far - Willen lake maybe or somewhere along the Grand Union canal? Pack some bread for the ducklings too!

Please don't feed bread to ducklings, or any other birds for that matter ?

MrsEggy Thu 07-Jul-22 15:00:19

Perhaps too far away, but there are lots of double decker routes in Birmingham, the hillier route the more exciting it is as we found with two of our granddaughters. If you get on the Outercircle route you can get off where you started, with perhaps a stop for lunch on the way (it takes about 2 hours?)

Chestnut Thu 07-Jul-22 14:44:17

The 150 to Aylesbury is not showing as a double decker. The simplest way is to phone Milton Keynes bus station and ask about double decker routes as there is no way of knowing otherwise.

Maggiemaybe Thu 07-Jul-22 14:25:55

Anybody remember the days when the top deck was just a fug of cigarette smoke with a soundtrack of hacking coughs? smile

eazybee Thu 07-Jul-22 14:17:12

I have to confess that I and an eighty year old friend always go on the top deck, front seat when ever we go anywhere by bus. And we have to move pretty sharply to beat the other elderly couples to get there!

henetha Thu 07-Jul-22 11:18:10

Almost always single decker buses where I live, out in the country, but plenty of double deckers in Newton Abbot .It's easy to go to Plymouth or Exeter, or Torquay etc. There are some nice scenic rides along the coast.

cornergran Thu 07-Jul-22 07:44:47

The long distance buses are more likely to be double deckers. You could check and see if the X5 still goes towards Oxford via Buckingham and Bicester or the other way to Bedford.

It’s worth persevering as I’m sure your granddaughter would love sitting so high. I can remember the excitement of our two when aged 4 and 7 they rode the top deck with us rather than sitting in the back of a car where they could see little. The younger one was full of questions including wanting to know why people at stops waved at the bus. Of course they both had to ring the bell when we were ready to get off, we apologised to the driver who simply laughed. It was fun, definitely worth persevering with. Good luck with your search CBT61.

HurdyGurdy Thu 07-Jul-22 06:42:29

There is a double decker bus that runs on the Luton/Dunstable busway, which isn't too far from you. It's the "C" bus I think, and the company is Grant Palmer

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Jul-22 06:42:12

www.arrivabus.co.uk/find-a-service/150-250-aylesbury-to-milton-keynes

This service is on YouTube from a month ago. It's obviously a double decker. I found it by simply googling "Milton Keynes double decker".
It's an Aviva service and pretty regular. I'd just call the company and ask if they are still double-decker.
Half an hour to somewhere, maybe get off for a drink or ice-cream and half an hour home.
Sorted.

Joseanne Thu 07-Jul-22 06:41:42

Or a tram ride perhaps?

Joseanne Thu 07-Jul-22 06:37:02

* rides not rules

Joseanne Thu 07-Jul-22 06:36:30

Little children love rides. As Londoners our DGCs were lucky and rode on the tube and buses most weeks, and they remember it fondly.
I was just thinking - does a summer fayre rock up near you? Your 3 year old would have the time of their life on these rules and it's not too expensive either. These roundabouts often come to shopping centres.

Chestnut Wed 06-Jul-22 23:52:50

A trip to London is totally unnecessary for a 3 year old. Just any double decker will do, any journey. Just find a local one. Surely there are double deckers going to nearby towns from Milton Keynes? Not the town buses but the ones going to other towns like Bedford, Northampton, Aylesbury, Buckingham. Phone up and ask. It will cost you nothing if you have a bus pass as the child is free. Take a picnic for the other end. She will love it.

rubysong Wed 06-Jul-22 23:33:06

We look after DGS (nearly three) once a week and the last two times we have taken him into town on a double decker bus. He absolutely loves it and chatters away about all the thing he can see. We have walked to various places (near the sea) and watched the boats, ate an ice cream then got the bus back. We even waved to his daddy, who was at work in a building we could see. (I rang him and he could see us waving.) The only tears we had were when we got off the return bus as he wanted to stay on. He would happily have just stayed on the bus all day.

Zonne Wed 06-Jul-22 22:55:25

There are no double deckers in, or near, MK as far as I know. Hence the need to go elsewhere for one.

ElaineI Wed 06-Jul-22 22:47:00

Any bus - bus to town, bus to shops, bus to swimming - it's being on a bus not the destination. DGS2 was very excited to get bus in bad snow as car was snowed in to Granny's then later back to Mummy. Granny was petrified as bus was sliding all over the road! But it was the bus that made his day not where it went.