Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ideas needed for 18th birthday gift

(28 Posts)
Quizzer Mon 11-Jul-22 14:41:46

Please help! Has anyone got any unusual, bright ideas for an 18th birthday present for my DGD.
I would like to give her something lasting. She is not a ‘girly’ girl, a bit more of a goth!
I have quite a large budget.

Shandy57 Mon 11-Jul-22 14:46:24

I think a lot of young people are very concerned at the state of the planet. Could you sponsor an elephant or similar?

geekesse Mon 11-Jul-22 14:46:34

Depends what you mean by ‘lasting’. Driving lessons might be good if she hasn’t already had any. A driving licence lasts a long time smile

Baggs Mon 11-Jul-22 14:48:34

Minibaggs's 18th b'day present, during her first term at uni, was a very good pair of hiking boots. that's what she needed at the time and they'll last her a good while.

She loves them.

Baggs Mon 11-Jul-22 14:49:58

Plus the necessary thick thox of course

Hithere Mon 11-Jul-22 14:52:07

What does she like?

Elizabeth27 Mon 11-Jul-22 15:00:50

My grandson's 18th is coming up, he has asked for money as he wants to go on some trips, that will create memories that will last forever.

I think I got a watch for my 18th or it may have been my 21st, I don't know what happened to it, not many 18-year-olds really appreciate something to keep.

Quizzer Mon 11-Jul-22 15:04:43

Thanks for all and above. She already has a driver’s license. Def not a hiker!
Has really “different” likes in music, clothes and jewellery- that’s why I am at a loss.

TwiceAsNice Mon 11-Jul-22 16:23:51

Could you take her out to choose? Does it have to be a surprise? If your budget is generous perhaps she would love to buy something she wouldn’t otherwise be able to afford.

Quizzer Mon 11-Jul-22 16:55:45

She lives too far away to take her out, and anyway which young person shops offline these days? Not necessarily a surprise, just something special.

Georgesgran Mon 11-Jul-22 17:02:59

I think I agree to ask her what she’d actually like. You might be surprised if she picks a piece of jewellery or diamond ear studs! Both sets of our parents had saved every month with Northern Rock, so when DD1 was 18, there was enough for a little second hand car for her.
I remember getting a watch at 18 or 21, but it was one I’d already chosen. My Gran paid for all sorts for me - school uniform, school trip to Russia and even my wedding dress. My DD2 is 40 next year, so I have my thinking cap on already.

Sago Mon 11-Jul-22 17:27:45

What about a beautiful leather hold-all with her initials embossed.
My sons each got one for their 18ths and use them still.

Georgesgran Mon 11-Jul-22 17:29:32

Sago - I was thinking a ‘posh’ handbag or backpack too. I do think girls are (generally) easier to buy for.

Su22 Mon 11-Jul-22 17:54:12

When my GD was 18yr I gave her a token keepsake present it was a small little jewellery box which I had engraved with her name and happy 18th etc. Then the money I had intended to spend on her present/give her I put a cheque in the box and wrapped it up. That way she had a gift to keep and could spend the money on anything she wanted she is now in her 40s and still has the little box.

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Jul-22 18:01:25

I think, given she's leaning towards "goth", that traditional gifts such as jewellery and bags are not great choices.
Why not ask her if she has something in mind that she would really love?

I like the idea of a keepsake box though with something - either cash or a promise, inside. This will stay with her.

grannydarkhair Mon 11-Jul-22 18:14:49

I bought a personalised number plate for my oldest g’son’s 18th. He’s currently driving his step-mum’s “not needed just now” car, and hasn’t put the plate on it, he’ll wait until he has his own car.
Personalised plates are not something I’ve ever wanted, but he was instantly keen when I hinted at it. I really wanted to give him a watch, but that got a negative response, and my daughter, his Mum, agreed that he’d probably never wear it.

MiniMoon Mon 11-Jul-22 19:36:17

The best 18th birthday present I was given was a green leather musical jewellery box with a dancing ballerina .
She has long since stopped dancing, but the box has been very useful.
DD just wanted money for hers as did DS.

Chardy Mon 11-Jul-22 19:50:13

How about a personalised cushion, blanket or quilt with photos of her at different ages, her parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, even her pictures from infant school

patra Mon 11-Jul-22 20:39:55

why not get her some Whitby jet jewellery. It is a Goths dream and is fairly exclusive as its costly and for a Goth has real significance. It is available from jewellers on ebay

3dognight Mon 11-Jul-22 20:56:39

A weekend paid for at Whitby.

Goth heaven, or a lovely Whitby jet piece of jewellery?

Beautful Mon 11-Jul-22 22:03:06

Could you get her a small piece of goth jewellery, as a keep sake, then give her the rest in money so she can do with what she really wants , although personally I would say don't waste it but that's me

25Avalon Mon 11-Jul-22 22:52:56

She may not always be a goth. I remember an aunt buying me a silver heart necklace which I did not appreciate at the time but loved it when I got older.

You could buy a star and have it named after her. You could get a commemorative coin for an event celebrated this year. If it is gold then it will increase in value and she can always sell it if times get hard. You could buy her a red letter day event which is something she will always remember and there will be a photo to keep.

Shelflife Mon 11-Jul-22 23:05:56

A holiday in Whitby for her and a friend would be appreciated I feel sure. Whitby is a wonderful place whether you are a goth or not ! and don't get me started on Whitby fish and chips - very tasty. Time in Whitby to celebrate her special birthday will give lots of memories that will stay with her. Much better than buying something she may not like or giving money.

Daisymae Tue 12-Jul-22 09:20:09

Bought my DGD an engraved ID bracelet. They are apparently in at the moment. I found what I consider to be a suitable quote, plus the date on reverse. You can find various makers online or have a look at Monica Vinader.

NotSpaghetti Tue 12-Jul-22 11:13:54

Daisy, I had a look at her work - very nice, and she is obviously looking at the ethics of her silver/gold...
That said, I think I would no longer want to buy diamonds from anywhere other than Canada now - and certified with the Canada Mark.

www.canadamark.com/