Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why do people do it?

(38 Posts)
PollyDolly Fri 15-Jul-22 09:35:17

A few weeks ago I offered some gardening items for free on a group FB page. Several people responded and came to collect the bits and pieces that they wanted. One lady asked for something specific to be put aside and she would collect by an arranged day. I agreed to this as I didn't expect her to come immediately.

However, That was almost two weeks ago and she has been nowhere near despite claiming she still wants the item. I know she isn't ill as I see her driving past regularly. Meanwhile, I got this last remaining item, waiting to be collected and Im getting fed up with being fobbed off with "I will come in the morning", or "I will send my mother up" or "Are you in on Sunday"?

Why do people mess others around like this? I know this is a minor problem but it is tediously annoying; I stopped wiping peoples bums when I retired!

BlueBelle Fri 15-Jul-22 09:40:03

I started a thread about this a week or two ago
All I get is “is this item available” I say yes and they never collect
The best one, as I said in the other thread was a lady asked
“Is this still available” I said “yes would you like it” and she said “No thank you” ??‍♂️

Shinamae Fri 15-Jul-22 09:41:47

BlueBelle

I started a thread about this a week or two ago
All I get is “is this item available” I say yes and they never collect
The best one, as I said in the other thread was a lady asked
“Is this still available” I said “yes would you like it” and she said “No thank you” ??‍♂️

???

Shandy57 Fri 15-Jul-22 09:45:15

I'd just re-advertise it. It's rude.

Redhead56 Fri 15-Jul-22 09:47:37

I had a massive sort out and put stuff on Freecycle and another local sight. The amount of people asking no demanding dimensions of specific items and photos really annoyed me.

People making arrangements not turning up and asking for things to be dropped off. One man asked for us to drop stuff off ten miles away saying he was disabled. My husband did and the guy wasn’t at home so never again.

We now take the donations to the local YMCA . They are ever so grateful that’s where we go now.

Chewbacca Fri 15-Jul-22 09:54:00

My friend has had exactly the same problem giving away a garden shed. First she advertised it on her local Facebook page and immediately had someone saying they wanted it and would dm her to arrange collection. 2 other people asked to be kept informed if, for any reason, the first person dropped out. None of them made contact again, despite several prompts and reminders. So she advertised it on Freecycle and again got several positive replies, one of which confirmed a date and time for collection. Never turned up and didn't respond to phone calls or messages. After 3 weeks had elapsed, she had the shed taken away and disposed of. A few of days later, and a fortnight after he was supposed to have arrived, a man with a pick up truck turned up to collect the shed and was furious with her that it had gone!

PinkCosmos Fri 15-Jul-22 09:54:59

I would contact her any say if she hasn't collected it by...(whatever date you chose) you will be re-advertising it.

I had the same experience recently. It dragged on for a few months. I did what I said above and never heard a word back from the 'buyer'

glammanana Fri 15-Jul-22 09:56:46

I would readvertise it asap and forget all about her its such bad manners for her to expect you to hold on to something.
I now take all my give a ways to Cancer Research shop they are very grateful if big items they gladly collect.

NannyJan53 Fri 15-Jul-22 10:00:13

Just message her and say, if it isn't collected by tomorrow evening, I will dispose of it.

lixy Fri 15-Jul-22 10:03:01

Good advice to give deadline and then re-advertise from PinkCosmos
People are always saying they are 'time-poor' but don't seem to value other people's. It's rude, and difficult when it's someone you are likely to bump in to.

Try Gumtree - I have moved a lot of things through that recently when we were getting ready to move last year and didn't get messed around at all thankfully.

PollyDolly Fri 15-Jul-22 10:07:06

Thank you all for your comments and for sharing your own experiences. You're correct, it is extremely bad manners, people obviously think that as many of us are retired we have time to wait on their beck and call..........NOT happening in my house.

M0nica Fri 15-Jul-22 10:43:48

I give them deadlines. Please collect by (date time), usually within 24/48 hours and if they don't I offer it to someone else.

martinthebandit Fri 15-Jul-22 10:47:20

Always put a price on the items, even if it’s only a couple of quid, when they turn up to collect tell them it’s not to bother paying as it’s free.

Seems to weed out lots of the ‘I want it but will never collect it’ gang

M0nica Fri 15-Jul-22 10:48:49

I freegle anything that is not suitable for a charity shop so asking payment doesn't come into it. I just expect collection within 48 hours/

VB000 Fri 15-Jul-22 10:59:37

Had exactly the same thing the other day. Had 4 takers for an old bathroom cabinet, free on FB Marketplace, all with arranged times (their choice) to collect - eventually the 4th person took it away! I even stated "no timewasters".

Doodledog Fri 15-Jul-22 11:08:40

I had a massive sort out and put stuff on Freecycle and another local sight. The amount of people asking no demanding dimensions of specific items and photos really annoyed me.

We have a lodge on a holiday park, and I was getting rid of a sofa bed and matching chairs. I didn't want anything for them, but needed rid in time for the new ones to arrive, as there was nowhere to store them even temporarily, so I described them with photos and said we would be there until x date (over a week later) if anyone wanted to come and look.

One chap replied, wanting measurements other than the ones I'd given, a photo of the sofa bed when opened up (with further measurements), was it comfy, was there head support, etc etc. It was quite comical, considering it was free and we were all on a holiday park - he could have walked over to come and sit on it. Each time, I replied with a cut and paste of the bit where I'd said 'we are here until X date if you want to come and see them'. Talk about entitled ?

Elizabeth27 Fri 15-Jul-22 11:31:42

No disrespect intended VBOOO but it does make me laugh when people put “no time wasters” on an ad. As if a time waster is going to red it and think “oh well I wont bother then’.

Dempie55 Fri 15-Jul-22 11:43:35

martinthebandit

Always put a price on the items, even if it’s only a couple of quid, when they turn up to collect tell them it’s not to bother paying as it’s free.

Yes, I do the same. Always ask for a fiver, it stops all the time wasters, half of whom just want some human contact, I think. You can give the money to charity.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 15-Jul-22 11:52:14

Dempie55

martinthebandit

Yes, I do the same. Always ask for a fiver, it stops all the time wasters, half of whom just want some human contact, I think. You can give the money to charity.

That’s an excellent idea everything for £2.00 then give it to them free.

Yammy Fri 15-Jul-22 12:40:25

My friend put her things on a site and someone came round with their curtains to make sure they matched.
Just be careful of the sites. I posted about this a few months ago. We got a letter about a neighbourhood sharing site and what we had available lawnmowers and stepladders to lend etc. I could not place the name or the house and somehow it did not ring true.
I asked a friend and she said it was a scam,the chap had used his middle name and dropped part of the house name and was being evicted!!!!
He has finally gone leaving old mattresses etc.in the garden and if we had been silly enough he would have had all our names and e.mail addresses etc.shock

Spice101 Fri 15-Jul-22 13:30:39

I also have had this experience. I now put on the listing "No holds, first come first served"

Joy241 Fri 15-Jul-22 13:37:34

I had a lovely experience when, some years ago, I advertised a sofa on Freecycle. A young woman, moving into her first home after leaving her parents’, rang up. Not only did she and her rugby playing boyfriend manhandle it downstairs (I live in an upside down house) but sent flowers and a bottle as a thank you along with a photograph of it in her new home.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Jul-22 13:48:02

It’s a new thing joy I ve sold on FB for years and it’s only been happening the last couple of years I do wonder if they just do it for the hell of it almost like a prank you know knocking on the door and running away
Thankfully you get some good people too but having had two no shows this week and one show you just have to bite the bullet

Elegran Fri 15-Jul-22 14:21:50

I advertised a luggage trailer, as I had no car, and there was no way I could tow it. Someone wanted me to bring it to a point halfway to his house - he lived about 75 miles away. Did he expect me to run up the motorway pulling it on a bit of string?

A number of people who offered to "take it off your hands", presumably free, as a special favour . . .

Patsy70 Fri 15-Jul-22 14:31:31

Very annoying, PollyDolly. Just advertise again or take it to a charity shop.
As an aside, I volunteer at Barnardo’s and it really tickles me when we’re asked if we have clothes items in a different colour/size!