Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Plant Sterols vs Statins

(6 Posts)
Ramblingrose22 Wed 02-Nov-22 15:10:52

Does anyone know if statins can cause Tupe 2 diabetes please? I've been told the risk is low but a recent blood test has put me in the pre- diabetic range for the first time and I have been on statins for the past 14 months.

V3ra Tue 19-Jul-22 22:02:49

Hmm, not sure if you will be able to read the back of the packet ?

V3ra Tue 19-Jul-22 22:00:38

These are the ones I take:

Lynker Tue 19-Jul-22 21:50:18

That's really encouraging V3ra, I will look into flaxseed oil, are they in capsules form? Thank you.

V3ra Tue 19-Jul-22 21:09:35

Yes I agreed with my practice nurse some years ago that I could try taking plant sterols instead of statins.
I've recently had a full blood count and all my levels are normal according to my GP.
I buy mine online from Healthspan and take the full dose they recommend. I also take Flaxseed oil as this helps as well.
The only disadvantage is having to pay for them ?

Lynker Tue 19-Jul-22 21:00:20

Today I have been told my cholesterol is 6.4 (up from 5 a few years ago) and statins have been mentioned. I would prefer not to take them and have asked if I can try and reduce the cholesterol myself. She suggested that I try plant sterols...has anyone any experience of them? Did they reduce your cholesterol? If after 3 months there is no reduction, I will of course take the statins. Thank you.