Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

The quietest place to move to in Northumberland.

(57 Posts)
Loulabel Wed 27-Jul-22 10:13:28

Help,I'm going to move from North Devon to Northumberland,any ideas as the best place to move that's peaceful and good walking country(I have a very energetic dog.)?

Fennel Wed 27-Jul-22 18:05:09

ps - I forgot the quietest bit.
My parents moved to a village called Ogle when Dad retired.
That is pretty and very quiet.

MiniMoon Wed 27-Jul-22 18:10:12

The villages of Ford and Etal are very quiet, even in the summer holiday season. I love the Lady Waterford Hall at Ford.

Oldbat1 Wed 27-Jul-22 18:25:43

I live in lovely Alnwick. Huge Beaches 3miles away. Main line Railway station 3miles away at Alnmouth with direct trains to Edinburgh and London.Only downside is most of land belongs to the Duke and Duchess which they are regularly selling off for housing. Very little “public” open space though. We have a lovely theatre. Lots of tourists nowadays all year round.

Harris27 Wed 27-Jul-22 18:33:08

Corbridge is lovely but might be a bit pricey! All of the above are gorgeous you’ll be very happy I’m sure.

Razzamatazz Wed 27-Jul-22 19:53:12

My husband and I looked at Corbridge. Lovely town, but a huge hunting community, not our scene at all.

Caleo Thu 28-Jul-22 12:10:22

Oldbat, Alnwick and district must be among the most feudal places in England.

bytheway Thu 28-Jul-22 12:27:41

Another vote for Warkworth here, but is very pricey, Amble is only a couple of miles away and much more affordable, also Corbridge (again pricey but gorgeous) and Morpeth has a lovely town and riverside.

Razzamatazz Thu 28-Jul-22 12:29:20

Yes, and not restricted to up here Caleo - I hear he is still trying to force the people off their allotments at Syon Park. No end to the greed.

Galaxy Thu 28-Jul-22 12:32:50

Oh right. I had to Google that. I worked in Alnwick for quite some time but that passed me by.

Granmarderby10 Thu 28-Jul-22 12:41:15

If anyone on this thread is already living in the quietest place ( and loving it) …how likely are they to let everyone in on it’s location.
Just sayin’?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 28-Jul-22 12:45:01

What would worry me if a place was very quiet would be, 'is it quiet for a reason?'

Are there no facilities whatsoever? Why? How difficult would it be to get to a hospital/GP/dentist, or simply get a newspaper or a pint of milk?

There must a happy medium between quiet and isolated.

Razzamatazz Thu 28-Jul-22 12:55:25

It would be worth joining the Facebook community pages to get a 'feel' for each village.

As I said earlier friends have moved out to Wooler and Rothbury, but they really suffered in the autumn/winter storms, no power for weeks as conditions were so difficult for the engineers. Their water went off too with no electric to pump it. Lots to consider about a remote quiet life.

Lucca Thu 28-Jul-22 13:03:42

Razzamatazz

My husband and I looked at Corbridge. Lovely town, but a huge hunting community, not our scene at all.

I was brought up in Corbridge….no recollection of lots of hunting. It’s a lovely village, but not quiet and isolated.

GagaJo Thu 28-Jul-22 13:41:47

lovebeigecardigans1955

What would worry me if a place was very quiet would be, 'is it quiet for a reason?'

Are there no facilities whatsoever? Why? How difficult would it be to get to a hospital/GP/dentist, or simply get a newspaper or a pint of milk?

There must a happy medium between quiet and isolated.

There are a lot of NE towns like this LBC. But I think it's a choice people make (other than the native inhabitants). You trade the useful facilities for the peace and quiet. A lot of the towns used to have them but they've gradually been closed off and moved to the nearest large town.

Doodledog Thu 28-Jul-22 13:49:45

Pretty, quiet places with conveniences such as a PO or a GP, or even a corner shop or library are few and far between these days, thanks to holiday lets and Air B&B. I would check that out before moving somewhere - a village that might look bustling in summer could be deserted in winter, and local groups won't have enough actual residents to sustain them.

Oldbat1 Thu 28-Jul-22 15:21:50

Caleo

Oldbat, Alnwick and district must be among the most feudal places in England.

Yes it is. Feel some folk still go around tugging their forelocks. The Alnwick castle and the Alnwick Garden are probably the biggest employers locally - most employees however are on zero hours contracts.

Fennel Thu 28-Jul-22 16:54:02

Oldbat1
"Yes it is. Feel some folk still go around tugging their forelocks"
Too true
My uncle was a tenant farmer in Otterburn (another beautiful village) and once when on holiday there I went with him on business to the Alnwick office..We bumped into the Duke. My uncle showed him great respect and I think I bobed him a curtsey.
But this was about 70 years ago.

Razzamatazz Thu 28-Jul-22 17:11:50

It must have changed since you lived there Lucca. Newspaper article reported 'hundreds of people' turned out to cheer the Boxing Day Hunt last Christmas.

It is definitely worth joining the local village community pages to see how they are placed for second homes in your village of choice. Also worth investigating whether the house/flat you like has second homes/holiday lets as neighbours. A very nice woman unsuspectingly purchased a tiny house here and all of the other houses in the close were holiday lets. After experiencing regular late night drunken shouting etc she moved again very quickly.

I am sorry we have just lost a bus a lot of locals that no longer drive used for their weekly shop in Alnwick. 'Not financially viable', sadly.

Bellanonna Thu 28-Jul-22 17:17:00

I see Rothbury has been mentioned, and I agree. It’s close to countryside but is itself a small town.

Chewbacca Thu 28-Jul-22 17:17:52

Don't know if anyone has suggested Belford yet? Half way between Seahouses and the Holy Island, a little bit inland but close to the nature reserve at Waren. House prices are more reasonable there than in the coastal areas. A good pub too!

Doodledog Thu 28-Jul-22 17:59:45

Razzamatazz

It must have changed since you lived there Lucca. Newspaper article reported 'hundreds of people' turned out to cheer the Boxing Day Hunt last Christmas.

It is definitely worth joining the local village community pages to see how they are placed for second homes in your village of choice. Also worth investigating whether the house/flat you like has second homes/holiday lets as neighbours. A very nice woman unsuspectingly purchased a tiny house here and all of the other houses in the close were holiday lets. After experiencing regular late night drunken shouting etc she moved again very quickly.

I am sorry we have just lost a bus a lot of locals that no longer drive used for their weekly shop in Alnwick. 'Not financially viable', sadly.

This is what I was getting at a couple of posts above. Holiday lets and Air B&Bs can kill a village for residents.

Lucca Thu 28-Jul-22 18:12:11

Razzamatazz

One hunt!

Ali08 Sun 31-Jul-22 18:36:44

GagaJo

Not Cambodia! Damn auto correct. Cambois

Omg, what a chuckle that gave me. Predictive text has a lot to answer for!
When I was living in Ashington, I asked my other half, "What's in 'Cambwa'?"
Well, it looks like a French name. He chuckled and told me, "It's pronounced 'Cammis'!"
Plessey woods are nearby, lovely woods.

Ali08 Sun 31-Jul-22 18:49:54

*Wylam. (Not to be confused with nearby West Wylam).
*Ovington. (Again, don't confuse with Ovingham).
*Corbridge - lovely place, but very pricey.
*Wark - my brother lives there. Been there a good few years but says he couldn't afford if buying there nowadays! There's a hotel with pub, I think 2 more pubs or maybe just one. A butcher shop & another shop that does everything else. LOADS of countryside, pleasant people, need a car but can get to Hexham for better/more shops, Wall, Bellingham, Chollerford, Warkworth Hall (or Castle?), all along the riverside. Haydon Bridge, and now my memory...Otterburn, Keilder....yup memory has given up! But definitely around those areas!
Bellingham has a lovely walk through woods upto a waterfall, and to the boathouse and lonesome pine.
Lots of people with dogs around those areas!

Ali08 Sun 31-Jul-22 18:52:19

Loulabel

Help,I'm going to move from North Devon to Northumberland,any ideas as the best place to move that's peaceful and good walking country(I have a very energetic dog.)?

Isn't it a bit weird to know you're moving, especially to a county as big as Northumberland, but not have a clue whereabouts?
What has prompted the move, if you don't mind me asking?
Northumbrian people are very friendly, though - I'm from there!