Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

The quietest place to move to in Northumberland.

(57 Posts)
Loulabel Wed 27-Jul-22 10:13:28

Help,I'm going to move from North Devon to Northumberland,any ideas as the best place to move that's peaceful and good walking country(I have a very energetic dog.)?

MayBee70 Sun 31-Jul-22 18:52:37

Squiffy

Warkworth might be worth checking out. It is small, has the River Coquet running on three sides, has a ruined castle and isn’t far from the sea. There are no supermarkets or big stores, which may be a disadvantage unless you do online shopping.

It floods really badly though. Nearby Amble is a very up and coming area I think, though. And Newbiggin by the Sea is very up and coming and great for dolphin watching. It has a very active dolphin watching group.

MayBee70 Sun 31-Jul-22 19:04:53

Oldbat1

Caleo

Oldbat, Alnwick and district must be among the most feudal places in England.

Yes it is. Feel some folk still go around tugging their forelocks. The Alnwick castle and the Alnwick Garden are probably the biggest employers locally - most employees however are on zero hours contracts.

I agree. And when people complain about second home owners I think you’ll find that in many part of Northumberland just a few people own many of the properties. A shopkeeper in Alnwick told me that the Duke charged a fortune in rental but channelled all of the visitors to his castle and gardens. I personally love Berwick even though it’s a bit run down since many of the local factories closed down. People are so friendly there and I love the beach at Spitall. I’d be worried about being in a remote village in winter. I do find that everything is run particularly well in Northumberland and when eg we’ve been there and had a medical problem the local healthcare is excellent. Bus service is excellent as well. House prices in Seahouses aren’t too bad.

MayBee70 Sun 31-Jul-22 19:08:36

Chewbacca

Don't know if anyone has suggested Belford yet? Half way between Seahouses and the Holy Island, a little bit inland but close to the nature reserve at Waren. House prices are more reasonable there than in the coastal areas. A good pub too!

Again one part of Belford is prone to flooding. They have the best fish and chip shop in Northumberland, though (imo) and the purple poppy fields are just up the road.

Squiffy Mon 01-Aug-22 18:06:10

MayBee70 I didn't know that about Warkworth! A friend of ours has a flat there, which we've stayed in a couple of times - we obviously picked the right time of year!

MayBee70 Mon 01-Aug-22 19:52:27

The river almost encircles it. I love it there, though. The street layout is still medieval. We walked up the centre of the village one day where all the back gardens meet. I never realised the beach was nearby though. I love it by the river. I’m always convinced that I’ll see mole and ratty rowing past me! We’ve sat on benches in the past that have been completely submerged a week or so later!

GagaJo Tue 02-Aug-22 09:38:25

I was on the beach at Cambois with my grandson yesterday. Gorgeous sunny day and we had the huge beach totally to ourselves. We spend a lot of time there every summer. It's an amazingly unknown place. Not a single house for sale there though!