Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help re uninsured house, please

(6 Posts)
Kate22 Mon 01-Aug-22 00:20:55

Hi Everyone, I’m hoping someone can advise me, please.
We’re having a kitchen extension- fairly straightforward ( I hope!) - the builders are knocking down the poorly built present extension and rebuilding it. Whilst they do so the entrance to what remains of the rest of the kitchen will be made secure with boards and there will be no outside access through the kitchen- hope that’s clear!
Our problem is that our present insurance company ( building and contents insurance) have refused to cover us whilst this work is ongoing- we’ve had to cancel the policy- and we can’t find another company to insure us. Has any one else had this problem- I’m dreadfully worried to think the house isn’t insured. Hope someone can help, thank you

DiamondLily Mon 01-Aug-22 05:45:19

This link might help:

www.moneysupermarket.com/home-insurance/renovation/

MrsKen33 Mon 01-Aug-22 05:48:17

Try the National Farmers Union, they are pretty good on most things, especially the unusual.

Lathyrus Mon 01-Aug-22 10:14:05

Salvation Army Insurance., SAGIC.

They were happy to continue my cover during this sort of work on the proviso that the house was not unoccupied.

Their profits support their social work.

Grantanow Mon 01-Aug-22 12:26:33

Shop around. You're probably better off leaving an inflexible insurer for a better one. Most would say yes or ask for a small increase of premium.

Luckygirl3 Mon 01-Aug-22 12:27:53

I insure everything with NFU - they are great - definitely worth asking them.