Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to do with spare hangers?

(11 Posts)
Grannybags Tue 02-Aug-22 16:04:10

I've been having a sort out of my wardrobe and am left with a big bag of spare hangers.

I've offered them to a charity shop thinking they must use a lot of them but they didn't want them.

I don't want to put them in the bin and our plastic recycling won't take them.

Any ideas?

PollyDolly Tue 02-Aug-22 16:06:45

Is there a jumble sale planned any time soon n ear you? Clothing always looks so much more appealing when it is hanging up rather than in a heap.

Alternately, go on FB Marketplace and offer them as a giveaway.

MaizieD Tue 02-Aug-22 16:12:45

Our local tip would take them, they'd go in the 'hard plastics' recycling skip. Though heaven knows what happens to them next.

Galaxy Tue 02-Aug-22 16:17:00

Ironing services are often pleased to have them.

BlueBelle Tue 02-Aug-22 16:19:52

Most charity shops have standard coat hangers of their own and although we can occasionally sell sets or wooden ones the normal plastic ones from shops etc don’t sell so no we don’t take coat hangers
Put them on Fb lots of people would be glad I’d a big bag of coat hangers

Prentice Tue 02-Aug-22 16:43:44

I would so love them, I never have enough hangers and shops will not give them to you now. I was refused two hangers with garments in M&S.
put it on your neighbourhood page?

Judy54 Tue 02-Aug-22 17:19:24

We gave some to a local Amateur Dramatics group and they found them really useful. Do hope you find someone to give them to it seems such a shame just to throw them away.

Pantglas2 Tue 02-Aug-22 17:50:21

Who remembers the the Blue Peter advent candle holder…?

Chestnut Tue 02-Aug-22 17:58:16

Freecycle will probably find you someone who wants them. I go to Trash Nothing which is the same. I like the way they show their items. You can find your local group here:
trashnothing.com/beta/groups/united-kingdom

Redhead56 Tue 02-Aug-22 18:57:04

I just this afternoon bagged up clean bedding curtains etc for YMCA. I also filled a bag full of hangers because the are always asking for them. It’s better than putting them in the bin and they are constantly reused.

Grannybags Tue 02-Aug-22 19:48:19

Thank you for all your suggestions - I knew the GN ladies wouldn't let me down.

Prentice if you live between Bath and Bristol you're welcome to them!