Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Has anyone bought a new bath recently that is a decent width without being too long?

(11 Posts)
Atqui Sun 07-Aug-22 13:30:14

This may seem a strange question , but nearly all the baths I have seen in catalogues and showrooms are much narrower than one I’ve been used to. It’s not that I need the extra width to accommodate my body , but I find great difficulty in getting out of a steep sided bath as I put hands on the side and push myself up.Grab bars are not much help. If anyone has the same problem and has solved it I’d be glad to know as I’m not wanting to give up my relaxing bath time.

AskAlice Sun 07-Aug-22 13:34:35

If you have the room, have a look at baths that are designed to be used as shower/baths. Most of them are wider than normal baths even at the narrower end.

MayBee70 Sun 07-Aug-22 13:41:29

Interesting question. I never thought much about baths until I stayed in a B&B that had a bath that was very long and very narrow. It was so long that I couldn’t relax in it: I just kept sliding down. It made me realise that it was more luck than judgement that my own bath was just the right length and had a slope at the head end so I could lie back and relax. When people buy a bed they’ll lie down on it to see if it’s comfortable but no one tries out baths for comfort!

MayBee70 Sun 07-Aug-22 13:45:15

Oh and to get out of the bath these days I have to roll over into my knees. Which doesn’t do my arthritic knee any good but otherwise I’d be stuck there forever.

Atqui Sun 07-Aug-22 15:42:07

I sometimes have to do that when staying somewhere too

Sarahmob Sun 07-Aug-22 15:45:48

We had to have a new bath a fortnight ago when ours cracked. Our plumber bought ours from b&q, I asked for a standard bath as we wanted it to go into the existing space and it’s perfect. I think it’s slightly wider than the one it replaced but it isn’t particularly narrow.

FlexibleFriend Sun 07-Aug-22 15:56:07

Baths come in varying sizes, have a look online at wickes.
www.wickes.co.uk/

Atqui Mon 08-Aug-22 07:57:06

Thanks - I hadn’t thought of Wicks

NotSpaghetti Mon 08-Aug-22 08:05:53

We have what is called an offset corner bath. I have arthritis and can get in and out. It is quite wide.

www.google.com/search?q=offset+corner+bath&oq=offset+corner+bath&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60.1130j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&chrome_dse_attribution=1#scso=_aLXwYsWzIo_bgQatj4rADA30:136

Allsorts Tue 09-Aug-22 08:32:15

Mine cast iron and sixty years old, refurbished but it beats all the new ones, takes a lot of water though, doesn’t bother me much as I shower.

M0nica Tue 09-Aug-22 19:57:48

There are so many large reputable bathroom stores out there there is bound to be someone who does what you want. All the DIY stores, Builders Merchants, at least 6 big well known online suppliers. And more too innumerable to mention.

Just do a google search.