Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Washing pillows

(71 Posts)
sazz1 Wed 10-Aug-22 11:33:45

Anyone know how to wash pillows successfully? Mine all ended up with the filling so badly twisted that I've had to buy new. Washing label says 40C machine wash and I've tried turning the spin speed down to 400 but still wrecked them. Any suggestions?

Iam64 Wed 10-Aug-22 20:37:00

I gave up washing, I buy new. Profligate

Fleurpepper Wed 10-Aug-22 20:38:29

Shinamae

They never turn out right so I just buy new ones once a year..

Wow and it all goes into landfill- once a year.

Fleurpepper Wed 10-Aug-22 20:38:43

Use protectors and wash those.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Aug-22 20:40:24

I'm a dribbler.
I dribble through the protectors, unless I spring out of bed and immediately strip it, like the time I did in 1998.

rockgran Wed 10-Aug-22 20:45:39

If they get twisted I just cut open the cover, untangle then sew the cover back up. It won't be noticed under a pillow case.

nadateturbe Wed 10-Aug-22 20:45:58

BlueBelle

Theres only me and I ve never sweated in my life even when I lived in the tropics ?

Ladies don't sweat, they glow.?

Mine Wed 10-Aug-22 20:46:21

I put my pillows on a delicate wash with comfort added to keep them smdlling fresh...I plump them up and then sit then on my whirling to dry....Do this every 3 months.

Witzend Wed 10-Aug-22 20:52:55

I wash mine about every six months, they’re all feather and down, or down. I wash them at 40 and they need a long hot tumble dry, but come up like new.

Fleurpepper Wed 10-Aug-22 21:25:15

MissAdventure

I'm a dribbler.
I dribble through the protectors, unless I spring out of bed and immediately strip it, like the time I did in 1998.

you can buy allergy protectors which are practically waterproof, but still breathe.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Aug-22 21:51:53

I may have to look at those, but so far my pillows have stood up to washing.
They must be about ten years old now. smile
All the ones I had before didnt last.

BlueBelle Wed 10-Aug-22 22:10:55

I don’t even glow narda I don’t have greasy hair or dribble i shower and wash my hair everyday I have a proctor then a pillowcase which get washed regularly so my pillows are fine

JenniferEccles Wed 10-Aug-22 23:04:40

I’m another one who has never been successful with washing pillows, so I’ve given up.

They aren’t expensive to buy new, even good quality ones so that’s what I do about once a year.

JackyB Thu 11-Aug-22 06:49:15

I once read a tip that you should stitch through them to keep them in place in the washing machine. If you use a long length of double thread and a heavy duty needle you can sort of "quilt" them with large tacking stitches.

DanniRae Thu 11-Aug-22 07:35:44

I've done this in the past JackyB - stitching in each corner - but to be honest I can't face doing it now (I am getting very lazy in my old age!)

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 07:38:27

Oh no.
Who wants to see before you can even wash something? It's all wrong!

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 07:38:50

Sew. Not see.

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-Aug-22 07:41:09

I can’t say I’ve had any problems with feather or synthetic filled, washing them on a low setting, drying outside and shaking them about a bit to settle the filling.

There’s no way I’d be throwing them into landfill every year, even if replacements were free.

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 07:42:53

I used to wash my feather pillows on a windy day and just hang them out then air them for a day or so.

nadateturbe Thu 11-Aug-22 07:46:34

A protector helps Bluebelle. You didn't mention that in your first post.

A person can be very clean and still have pillows that need freshened.

JackyB Thu 11-Aug-22 07:48:10

OK, if the sewing is too much (which I can quite understand) how about holding the innards in place with a few large rubber bands round the pillows before popping them in the machine?

nadateturbe Thu 11-Aug-22 07:48:53

MissAdventure ten years, that's very good, what brand are they?

Annewilko Fri 12-Aug-22 11:17:31

I washed four synthetic pillows yesterday. Two at a time, 30 min, 40° cycle. Pulled them into shape and dried them outside. Was pleasantly surprised with the result.

Tanjamaltija Fri 12-Aug-22 11:25:34

"If someone sweats a lot pillows will get marks." That is why I get 3 cheap pillow-cases and sew those on, apart from the outside one. This helps the feathers not come through, too. I still have feather pillowcases made by my granny, from her hens' feathers. Every so often, I change the inside pillowcases.

SewnSew Fri 12-Aug-22 11:30:40

Oh gosh, I must be a very dirty person! I have never washed a pillow in my life. I have clean thick quilted protectors and clean pillowcases, so it never even occurred to me that the pillows themselves could get dirty. Somehow we don't seem to have come to any harm though

NoddingGanGan Fri 12-Aug-22 11:50:41

I use quilted pillow protectors which are washed monthly. Pillows themselves are therefore only washed once per year. Feather so fluff up nicely, though do take ages to dry.