Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

65 and so tired. Anyone else ?

(125 Posts)
Katyj Thu 22-Sep-22 14:23:13

Hi. I turned 65 in May, since then Ive been so tired. I had a full blood count on my birthday, annual check up and everything was normal, so don’t think anything can have gone drastically wrong since then ? Can’t think I’m doing anything different, still working part time, still looking after mum, just shopping, bills appointments etc, grandchildren in the holidays and babysitting now and again.
DH retired but does help with everything. Could it just be my age ? Do I need to do less, not sure how though. Maybe it’s all in my head and I’m getting ready to retire. How do you feel ?

Nannan2 Sun 25-Sep-22 11:32:34

Beggar me- im 59 & been tired for ages.hmm

lmfielden Sun 25-Sep-22 11:42:23

Me too….not had the same energy since Covid at Easter, sleeping 10 hours a night and still wake up tired! I’m 63, but felt ok before Covid!

FleurBaladine Sun 25-Sep-22 11:42:32

Charleygirl5

I am 79 and my tiredness crept up on me. I can still sleep for my local county and otherwise I am fine.

Old age is not for the faint-hearted.

Same for me - except I don’t sleep well either!

HowVeryDareYou Sun 25-Sep-22 11:44:33

I'm always tired, I wake up tired and I'm like it all day. I'm 63, had Covid and was on a ventilator for 2 weeks, during which time, I had a stroke. That was 14 months ago, and I'm about 90% ack to the way I was before, but so tired.

pinkjj27 Sun 25-Sep-22 11:45:47

Get you vitamin B checked as you get older it becomes more difficult to absorb vitamin B6 & B12. This didnt show up on my "full routine blood test"I took up Zumba, I know it sounds funny, that jumping around for an hour 3 times a week can make you feel less tired but it does.

Skydancer Sun 25-Sep-22 11:51:39

I agree that exercise can make you feel less tired though it sounds wrong. Also mental tiredness is more exhausting than physical tiredness.

newlife56 Sun 25-Sep-22 11:52:25

Hear! Hear! Self care is the key - I am proud to say that I have learned to keep well away from negative people who only drain my energy…

Qwerty Sun 25-Sep-22 11:53:14

A short walk outdoors, in a park or near trees with a cafe stop for a coffee, improves my mood as does a gentle Pilates class. My hips feel freer after Pilates and it's mentally relaxing. "The Girl with the Pilates Mat" on You Tube is good if you don't want to leave the house.

Saggi Sun 25-Sep-22 11:54:31

I’ve been my husbands carer for passed 26 years as well as working ) hours daily. Looking after grandkids where possible ….I was on top of it all ….or so I thought. My husband was finially diagnose with vascular dementia AND Alzheimer’s disease …. and finially after my second stroke last May has gone full time into care!! My health has now collapsed ….my worst being the arthritis …which I’ve never been able to nurse ! Now I have lots of time to nurture myself and I’m inundated with all sorts ….fatigue being the more worrying….. gone from walking 5 miles a day and swimming three times a week…to a lazy slob staying in bed till 10 am and doing only what’s needed to stay clean and respectable!

Saggi Sun 25-Sep-22 11:55:39

….my doctor says I’ll bounce back , and it’s my second dose of Covid that’s flattened me! I hope he’s right.

Keffie12 Sun 25-Sep-22 11:57:25

It could be CFS/M.E. I have this alongside fibromyalgia. I have had it since my 40s.

You can have fibromyalgia/CFS/M.E which is from trauma which can be anything from a car crash trauma to mental health issues.

Then CFS/M.E on it's own usually is from a virus like shingles or pneumonia for example.

Indeed long Covid19 is actually CFS/M.E to give it, its umbrella name. They have called it long Covid19 so people can realise there is a reason for not recovering.

Might be worth looking them up to see if you fit into them. They are not directly life threatening. They are dehabilating though. Not curable however there are palative ways to manage it

bongobil Sun 25-Sep-22 12:14:24

Interesting post, I am just 60 do work full time, daughter still at home youngest son at uni but like all of you am just so tired all of the time. Thank you to the post for posting this post and for the recommendations of Vit D etc, I will be looking into some of this.

Boz Sun 25-Sep-22 12:14:49

From the list of your activities, can I suggest you are doing too much? Looking after elderly parents and GC AND a job is too much. There is a lot of worry and responsibility in looking after others which can be exhausting. There is no easy answer to over-responsibility - just try to rest when you can.

JadeOlivia Sun 25-Sep-22 12:15:32

At 62 and after Covid in April, I can do everything I need to but find I have to constantly rest between tasks. Dr put me on magnesium but didn' t help, I have gone back to my former multi vitamin tablet. I think if you looked at all you do, you are getting little rest.

yogitree Sun 25-Sep-22 12:18:14

Redhead56, I too have had a lung infection. It lasted 4 weeks and was absolutely exhausting. The Nurse Practitioner finally gave me a course of AB's which didn't work, then a course of steroids (maybe that's your next step?) and another course of AB's. I subsequently had an x-ray that came back 'satisfactory' (whatever that means), and I do feel a lot better and not coughing 24/7 as I was. I do feel tired out and have other health conditions to deal with. They're now trying me on allergy tablets as my cough has still not properly gone. sad I look after GD one day a week, but have been too poorly to do so lately. Had to stop my pleasure (YOGA) too. I find everything much harder to deal with since I turned 66.

Truddles Sun 25-Sep-22 12:25:34

You’re doing too much. We are the sandwich generation; caring for elderly parent(s) on one end of the spectrum and helping out with grandkids on the other. You need time for yourself. Make yourself happy. Be a bit selfish. Be less accessible. All the best xxx

Nicolenet Sun 25-Sep-22 12:26:25

Every ten years I feel a difference. I still do a lot around the house and with GC. Make sure you do something you enjoy and you will feel more energized and less tired.

suelld Sun 25-Sep-22 12:29:29

Katyj - I am 76 and tiredness has been with me for a long time now, but I have various ills and that is part of it. I do however , from your list of ‘normal’ things you do , wonder if you are depressed, it’s a subliminal thing and you probably wouldn’t consider yourself depressed - but- where in that list is time for YOU - looking after others is all encompassing and perhaps you just need to add in space and time for YOU to do things YOU like. Yes I’m sure looking after the grandchildren is fun but it is also exhausting…..
The mental side affects the physical - always.
On the physical / medical side there are so many things that
can make us tired - low kidney function, ( me) ; thyroid ( already mentioned; Anaemia ( I have to have 3 monthly B12 injections as my body won’t absorb vitaminB) ; all things that might not show up in a ‘normal’ blood test. My anaemia started in my 60s, and I had no idea - like you just started getting very tired….
Have another chat with your Doc and mention all of the above, BUT don’t leave without questioning everything….! We are of the generation when Doctors were ‘be all and know it all’ authority figures we trusted… but they are over worked human beings and you have to ‘push’ to get a solution often.

ooonana Sun 25-Sep-22 12:34:51

I’m nearly 73, I’ve been on Levothyroxin for several years and I also have widespread OA having had a knee replacement in January this year. I’m on my own and after all that’s gone on in the world over the last few years it’s not surprising that so many people are suffering mental health issues and mild depression that can lead to tiredness. I’m essentially a lazy person at heart but when I had to give up golf 3 years ago I think I’ve gone downhill since then. It’s so important to walk daily, I try to do 8 thousand steps daily and some days I’d rather stay in bed! It’s so good to compare notes with others and there’s a comfort in knowing I’m not alone. My parents at my age were not half as active as I am so maybe there’s some progress in us oldies…..

sharonarnott Sun 25-Sep-22 12:35:12

I'm 59 and I suffer from debilitating tiredness but I am suffering from T2 diabetes, heart failure and am having immunotherapy for cancer all of which unfortunately cause extreme tiredness. Have you had your thyroid checked? My mum was diagnosed with a underactive thyroid in her 60s. She kept falling asleep throughout the day and then she started gaining weight without changing her diet so they did a thyroid test

Bodydoctor12 Sun 25-Sep-22 12:37:08

Vitamin B12 is essential and almost Everyone is deficient in it. Get the sublingual type as it’s the most efficient form of use. Take 1000 mcg @day for 3 months and see How you feel. It was a life changer for me, my memory has come back, less tired and just generally sharper. I’m 63

nannypiano Sun 25-Sep-22 12:38:10

I was feeling tired in my late 40's and found out my thyroid was to blame. It's worth having it checked out.

Bodydoctor12 Sun 25-Sep-22 12:39:34

Apologies - I meant to add this link
This is the one I buy from Amazon.

??

Juliet27 Sun 25-Sep-22 12:45:09

Saggi

….my doctor says I’ll bounce back , and it’s my second dose of Covid that’s flattened me! I hope he’s right.

I hope so too Saggi ?

Rameses Sun 25-Sep-22 12:48:25

I was ok up until about 18 months ago (I was 73 last February). I then started to feel more tired (I have been living with a heart condition for nearly 22 years and also have AF, but was living a near normal life).
As others have mentioned, the tiredness thing kind of crept up on me. After dodging it for 30 months, I finally succumbed to Covid 5 weeks ago and, whilst the symptoms were no worse than the 'flu/a bad cold, I have felt incredibly short of energy and tired since I tested negative.
I have also felt quite low and depessed, which I have never ever been in my previous years.
None of this is much use to you but, as others have shown, you are most certainly not alone in feeling this way.