Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

65 and so tired. Anyone else ?

(125 Posts)
Katyj Thu 22-Sep-22 14:23:13

Hi. I turned 65 in May, since then Ive been so tired. I had a full blood count on my birthday, annual check up and everything was normal, so don’t think anything can have gone drastically wrong since then ? Can’t think I’m doing anything different, still working part time, still looking after mum, just shopping, bills appointments etc, grandchildren in the holidays and babysitting now and again.
DH retired but does help with everything. Could it just be my age ? Do I need to do less, not sure how though. Maybe it’s all in my head and I’m getting ready to retire. How do you feel ?

Greyleader Sun 25-Sep-22 21:04:44

You might check your vitamin D levels. I am having to get a D replacement after Covid instead of supplements. Not scheduled yet so I’m not sure what that means but I hope it cures fatigue.

Gundy Sun 25-Sep-22 21:24:11

Katyj…
It’s ALL ABOUT sleep too! It’s a brand new world when you’re well rested.

Edith81 Sun 25-Sep-22 21:58:37

Katyj youhave turned 65 and on the cusp of retiring so I think you’re telling yourself that you are old now. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with you physically,it’s mind over matter. Stop thinking old and you’ll be ok.

Shinamae Sun 25-Sep-22 22:17:32

I am nearly 70 and still work three afternoon shifts in a care home which is very physical demanding work but it definitely keeps me healthy! I take magnesium supplements and vitamin D and multivitamin.. I have not slept well for a while On reading this thread I definitely don’t drink enough water so will have to make a concerted effort to drink more or even some! ?

Chardy Sun 25-Sep-22 22:30:28

queenofsaanich69

As we get older a lot of people do not make B12,my husband has injections of B12 every 6 weeks,before the injection he is exhausted after he is revitalize——also I give him black pudding ! How about visiting a Naturopath they are very in tune to what your body needs.Also you are actually achieving a lot in a day,I really hope you feel better soon,good luck.

I have friends who have regular B12 jabs. Two members of my family were tested as extreme tiredness was a problem, but doctor said no. They even looked at having them done privately.

As for me, after 50 years of chasing round (no idea how I managed all that), it's early to bed, early to rise, and if all I do that day is get the dog walked, that's may be enough physical stuff for 24 hrs.

V3ra Mon 26-Sep-22 00:30:48

My mum should be in a care home, but is refusing. She has carers four times a day, but is at risk of falling. I’m always waiting for the next emergency call 24/7 there’s been a lot lately

Katyj has your mum been assessed by the Falls Team? Her GP can arrange this.

Katyj Mon 26-Sep-22 06:51:22

V3ra Hi yes she has been assessed by the falls team in May this year after falling down her steps at home, she lives in a first floor flat. She had a brain haemorrhage and was in rehabilitation home for a while. They deemed she had everything she needed in her flat and it was safe for her to live there.

Tinckerbell Mon 26-Sep-22 08:20:13

Katyj - I am sorry to hear you are feeling so tired at such a young age. It could be a thyroid problem but apart from that are you doing enough 'fun' things, to give you a bit of a buzz? Why not have a look at You Tube 'Zumba for Seniors' or even yoga. Lots of 10-minute segments pop up that can add a spark to the day; or maybe join a choir or take up a musical instrument. I now play the ukulele four times a month with 2 different groups and we all find this very therapeutic.

Duvetdiva Mon 26-Sep-22 08:30:48

Katyj

It’s difficult to tell what’s checked with what they call I full blood test isn’t it ? Maybe I should ask if that included vit D, I’ve been lax lately with everything

Lissa so sorry to hear about your husband it must be very difficult for you both. Hope someone on here can help. Take care.

Katyj
Ask for a printout of your blood test results then you’ll know how detailed it was
x

TiggyW Mon 26-Sep-22 10:21:18

I would definitely get your blood checked, especially for Vitamin D. I’m a similar age. I felt exhausted a couple of years ago - I even found that having a shower wore me out! I was worried that I was seriously ill, but it was actually a Vitamin D deficiency. After taking a high dosage for a few months I felt much better. ??

effalump Mon 26-Sep-22 10:36:01

I'm 65 and I feel tired too. I don't think menopause helped either, as I was OK before that although it took 11 years for me to get through peri-menopause. Having worked 37 years full time since age of 15 and then the last 13 years have been bits and pieces, mainly shop work which I hate. I feel it's the last 13 years that have taken its toll on me. Probably because the work I've done during this time has been through necessity and the fact that, I feel, young managers just don't want to employ older people. They say that if you love your job then it's not really 'work'. The job I loved the most was the first one I had after leaving school. I loved it so much I was there over 20 years until it went bust. The ones I've had since then have gradually worn me down and demoralised me to some extent. I now feel so guilty that I actually am looking forward to reaching 66 even though I still won't have enough to live on and I will probably look for something part-time. I've really had enough! I would like to spend what little energy I have now on doing something that gives me Joy.

Gabrielle56 Mon 26-Sep-22 10:36:03

I'm 66 now and haven't been back to gym since COVID restrictions lifted so I'm feeling really tired and I'm convinced it down to NO exercise at all, specially as our darling jack Russell departed last September, I'd taken him out in mornings 6 days a week for 16 years!! Walks diminished more as he got older but we always went out first thing at least round a very big block!! Lack of exercise is I believe a key component to feeling tired and listless, we can't afford the new and 'improved'(astronomical) gym fees now so we're stuffed basically!

cc Mon 26-Sep-22 12:51:25

@pascal30
No, I've not tried kefir, what are the benefits?

Eloethan Mon 26-Sep-22 16:31:34

You seem, in my opinion, to be doing quite a lot and so I think it is natural for you to feel tired sometimes. If you feel tired all the time then perhaps it has just built up over a period of time and you need to take a proper break where you get the chance to relax and do whatever you want to do.

Hope you manage to give yourself a break and feel better for it.

BRAVEBETH Mon 26-Sep-22 17:35:05

Caring for your mother can be very tiring. Maybe you were expecting to enjoy retirement. What were your plans. Put one into action and enjoy.

The world situation is very troubling. Only watch or read one source.

Dressagediva123 Mon 26-Sep-22 18:21:56

Do you do lots of things ‘ just for yourself ‘ sounds like your existing not living. Join a choir / get out to walk / buy a dog/ take a lover - live

purplevamp Mon 26-Sep-22 18:48:07

I'm in my very early 50s and I'm tired all the time. I have no energy to do anything. I have no idea why. I've had blood tests, etc but they always come back normal. I haven't had covid.

ReadyMeals Mon 26-Sep-22 20:59:05

Of course, many of us will be on blood pressure tablets or statins, and that can sometimes cause more fatigue. I know if I take a break from my tablets my enthusiasm and energy starts to return

MissAdventure Mon 26-Sep-22 20:59:41

I was exactly the same; kept going to work but was aware that I wasn't able to do my job properly anymore.

You really have to persevere to try and find answers.

I would be believing I was "stressed", still, if I hadn't kept trying to find out.

GreenGran78 Tue 27-Sep-22 10:40:00

My GP told me that roughly half of her patients, of all ages, have Vit D deficiency because we don't get enough sunlight on us. Many people also don't drink nearly enough, and are dehydrated, which can cause tiredness. I would definitely recommend having a word with your doctor about further tests. It sounds to me, though, that your main problem is too many responsibilities. It's difficult, when you are a carer, to step back and take care of yourself. It's not just physically tiring, but mentally, too. Try to make more time for yourself, if you can. Tell your family that you're getting older, and can't do as much as you used to.

I'm 83, and don't care for anyone but myself. I sometimes get tired, but try to go for a walk every day. It's easy to become a couch potato, if I'm not careful. My main hobby is singing. I'm only in two Community choirs now. Not too demanding, but it's amazing how a good sing lifts your spirits and sets you buzzing. The social side is good for me, too. Why not give it a try? You don't have to have a good voice

singingnutty Tue 27-Sep-22 14:51:24

Well, GG78 I couldn’t have said it better myself re the singing, and you will guess that from my name! Please people support your local choir of whatever type because many are struggling with numbers, like lots of organisations, after the trauma of the last couple of years. When you are singing with others you will be supported and carried along even if your voice is hesitant to begin with.

Fae1 Fri 14-Oct-22 22:43:03

See your GP. (S)he will be the only one to know for sure why you're feeling as you are and be able to advise / reassure you.

Grantanow Fri 14-Oct-22 23:58:11

I started to feel tired at 76. Falling asleep in the evening when watching TV. Not sure why.

Katyj Wed 26-Oct-22 07:12:55

Hi. Just an update. Not much change unfortunately. I’ve started taking vit D and B vitamins. Increased my walking and enjoying it which I’m happy about. I’ve got an appointment with the Dr next week as I’m signed off work at the moment with my rib inflammation, so going to mention the tiredness as well.
Seems to be lots of us feeling the same. How is everyone else ?