Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

High Tea

(106 Posts)
Floradora9 Sun 25-Sep-22 14:59:29

Is high tea very much a Scottish thing ? We took the family out for a meal last Sunday and had to opt for high tea as that was what our favourite restaurant serves on a Sunday . My DDIL ( from USA ) had never heard of this but it was much enjoyed by the children . You choose your main course and along with it they serve pots of tea and toast. After that you get scones and a variety of cakes .People seem to feel free to take home the uneaten scones and cakes . Being diabetic all I could enjoy was the main course .

paddyann54 Wed 28-Sep-22 14:21:42

Thats the very ones Espee

Callistemon21 Wed 28-Sep-22 14:38:16

Fish 'n' chips is dinner, Marmight!
Although, yesterday, it was a pub lunch. By the time we got served, it could have been high tea, though, it was so busy.
smile

High tea - anything more than sandwiches and cake I would think. Cold meats, cheeses, quiche, salad; something hot with toast, etc followed by the sweet course! With a cup or two of tea.

Cakes, scones, dainty sandwiches are Afternoon Tea.

Esmay Wed 28-Sep-22 14:50:51

I'm used to afternoon tea by 4.00 pm -sometimes a little earlier .
This is always cucumber /occasionally salmon sandwiches , scones with jam and cream and maybe a cake or two .
And very nice , too .
My friends are completely addicted to them and demand them !

It's so popular in my family that my daughter had an afternoon tea to celebrate her engagement .

I didn't know that high tea is Scottish .
It sounds delicious to me !
I'll try it .

Aveline Wed 28-Sep-22 15:20:49

Definitely not 'high tea' but another Mimi's afternoon tea fan. We had a delivery of afternoon tea from Mimi's during lockdown and it was a real treat. Enough to last us for days. There are quite a few branches now including Corstorphine and a Lauriston Castle.

Ali08 Sat 01-Oct-22 18:12:09

I've heard of it but didn't know what it was.