Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

AIBU to not want to pick up disruptive Grandson from School.

(79 Posts)
Usernametaken Fri 18-Nov-22 13:23:09

Hello fellow Grans. Hope someone can give some advice. DH and I have two Grandchildren, a Granddaughter who is nine and a half, she’s an adorable little girl, very affectionate and loves drawing and reading. And giving cuddles.

We also have a Grandson who is six. He never does as he’s told, he’s obsessed with his “Willy”, often getting it out. He’s always talking about bottoms and boobies.

I pick them up from School two days a week. He’s always trying to open car door (have child locks on), opening the car windows, altering the front headrests etc.
Last week he somehow put his dirty feet all over the front seat headrest and I had to take it to be cleaned. It’s only a two year old Vehicle and we don’t want it trashing.

AIBU to not want to pick him up again. Obviously that would mean not picking DGD either.

DS and DDIL both work full time. DDIL’s mum picks the children up on the other days, and surprise surprise DGD behaves with his other Grandparents.

Have tried telling him off, would like to hit him (obviously not hard, but you can’t do that any more).

When he’s with his Parents and does something naughty, they say things like, “No TV for a week”, then an hour later he’s watching it again. Or no treats for a week, then get taken out to a theme park or something similar. Doesn’t seem to be any discipline at all at home.

Any advice would be really appreciated, especially if any of you lovely Ladies have experienced the same sort of thing.

Thank you

Witzend Fri 18-Nov-22 13:30:19

Are they allowed a little after-school treat? I usually take something when collecting Gdcs now and then - e.g. crisps or chocolate buttons. They’re always starving anyway.

If so, I don’t know whether it’d work, but I’d say you’ve got treats for them - and show them - but they will only have them if they behave very nicely.
Obviously your Gdd will - if Gds doesn’t, then he doesn’t get whatever it is. No discussion, no getting cross, just ‘Well, I told you - it was up to you.’

Norah Fri 18-Nov-22 13:36:01

I'm years past driving children unless an emergency. Forgive me if this is no longer acceptable. I pulled over, stopped, and listened to the radio. I refused to speak or proceed unless my children could remember they had manners and could use quiet voices. An approach all children understand, imo.

BlueBelle Fri 18-Nov-22 13:36:34

Well as I read your post I couldn’t help thinking your grandaughter is the blue eyed (as you put it) adorable girl and the boy is the ‘bad’ one
Many boys of 6 are full on with boobs, bottoms and willys I don’t think that’s anything at all to get uptight about but it doesn’t fit in with your well behaved ‘picture quietly drawing’
adorable grandchild belief

If you treat the boy in the way if feels from your description I not surprised he doesn’t behave he feels your irritation and plays up to it he knows he can’t come up to his sisters
reputation so he ll go the exact opposite

The little boy behaves for the other grandparents so I m afraid how you treat him even if it’s not intended is causing the problem If you want him to behave differently you will need to adjust your ways of dealing with him and ditch the favouritism

Grandmabatty Fri 18-Nov-22 13:38:21

You cannot be serious? You want to hit your grandchild? He's inquisitive and messy and pushing boundaries. You are comparing him unfavourably to your 'perfect' granddaughter who is older and a different personality. Yes, stop picking them up. I can't believe this isn't a reverse.

eazybee Fri 18-Nov-22 13:44:20

Does this boy really do what he is told when with the other grandparents? If so , why?
His behaviour is unacceptable; it is dangerous, stupidly offensive and deliberate, particularly so whilst you are driving. You are right to refuse to tolerate it. You need to have a tough discussion with the parents, and also with the other grandparents if possible, and reach an agreement on what consistent sanctions you will all use, and how this boy is brought to accept limitations on his behaviour.
Otherwise, no picking up. You are not being unreasonable; there are no doubt all sorts of reasons for this behaviour, but whilst you are driving you don't have time to negotiate.

Sarah74 Fri 18-Nov-22 13:46:23

Show him some love, and he’ll show you (and your car hmm) love and respect back……

pandapatch Fri 18-Nov-22 13:48:42

I agree with the previous posters, sounds like you have decided he is a "naughty boy" whereas his sister can do no wrong. Why on earth would you want to hit him, what on earth do you think that would achieve? On a practical level take his shoes off and give him something to do with his hands (small toy etc) and small snack if allowed.

Norah Fri 18-Nov-22 13:51:16

We have daughters, granddaughters, great granddaughters - and one grandson. Six year old boys are what they are - they seem to love their willys, showing anyone their willy and touching themselves.

They learn acceptable standards, at some point. Less said is best.

Grams2five Fri 18-Nov-22 14:04:12

Having raised three sons , and the. Three daughters I can assure you I’ve yet to meet a six year old boy who after a long day of school, isn’t active, wild, and frankly finds nothing funnier than bottoms and boobies and the like. Same seems to hold true for the grands generation. In particular if he behaves for others I’d suffer you change your approach! A snack and some time to enjoy around outside at a park perhaps to get the wiggles out . Of course you can always decline to pick them up any longer but unless you don’t want to see them both regularly anymore the better approach would be to adjust your methods and expectations. Your gs may enjoy a run around too - they’ve been sitting and writing or drawing all day !

Nanatoone Fri 18-Nov-22 14:11:48

I tend to think this is totally normal behaviour for a six year old boy, even our three year old finds his Willy a complete delight. We are trying to teach him gently not to play with it in public. My grandchildren (8 year old girl and 3 year old boy) know nana’s annoyed voice, the little one has even said “I don’t like that voice nana”. When they hear it, they tend to be good. No need for hitting children. Don’t show favouritism, it’s very unkind, I’m sure that’s not your intention, you sound naturally frustrated.

Usernametaken Fri 18-Nov-22 14:18:18

Thank you all for your comments.
Pandapatch, when I say I want to hit him, I mean a tap. My children had many when they were naughty and it didn’t do them any harm. They learnt right from wrong, plus respect for other people’s property.

And Bluebelle, I try to treat them the same, and always take treats for them for when they get home from School. He’s exhausting to say the least.

And thanks easybee, you’ve made me feel better.

We had them round for Sunday lunch last week, he said the dinner was horrid, everyone else liked it. Then he said he didn’t like a home made pudding and custard.

He hardly eats anything at home either, preferring jam sarnies or chocolate spread on toast.

Septimia Fri 18-Nov-22 14:20:42

There are some useful ideas here. I would suggest that you pick one that you think you can work with and, most importantly, be consistent. It might take a while for your GS to calm down, but consistency is the key and don't give up. I'm sure he will, in time, turn out to be as lovable as his sister.

Grandmabatty Fri 18-Nov-22 14:21:07

Clearly you don't intend to listen to the majority on here. I hope you don't stay in Scotland as it is illegal to give children a 'tap'.

Summerlove Fri 18-Nov-22 14:24:56

The fact that you want to hit the child means you need to stop taking care of them.

Youll likely get some grief from your son when you tell him, especially when you tell him why (which you should) but you need time away from them to get your dislike under control and attempt to rebuild a relationship.

good luck

BlueBelle Fri 18-Nov-22 14:35:50

Why on earth would you let a 6 year old saying your dinners horrid upset you He knows you prefer his saintly sister and he’s acting opposite which it perfectly normal He knows very well how you feel about him and he is acting to get your attention He doesn’t care if it’s bad attention he just wants to be elevated into a grandson not a nuisance I feel sorry for him

Taking them both equal snacks does not mean you treat them the same you have an adorable well behaved ‘sitting still’ drawing and colouring little girl and a live wire younger , Willy waving rowdy boy and you really like one a whole lot better than the other and HE KNOWS IT
eazybees have you had no involvement with little boys …to call a 6 year old using Willy boob or bum talk as stupidly offensive is ridiculous

Shoes off for both of them in the car and take them to the park the little chaps been shut up all day having to behave in school he lets off steam when it gets out and it doesn’t fit in with your way at all but you need to relax and have fun with the him

Hithere Fri 18-Nov-22 15:44:52

"would like to hit him (obviously not hard, but you can’t do that any more)."

So you raised your kids like that?

Yes please, do not pick them up from school again - they deserve better

You idolize your gd and evilize your gs

pandapatch Fri 18-Nov-22 15:47:38

I assume that you want to give him a "tap" to show that you disapprove of his behaviour, but the message you give is that it's OK to hit someone, which of course it isn't.
I have raised two boys and now have 2 grandsons, who have all been obsessed with body parts and bodily functions at some stage. They (mostly!) grow out of it.
Find something to love and praise about your little grandson, I bet his behaviour will improve

Callistemon21 Fri 18-Nov-22 16:19:53

No, you cannot hit him!

So, you have the golden grandchild and the demon grandchild.
Not surprisingly, you love one but the other one makes you angry.
He must realise this and acts up even more.

Is there a park near school where they can run off some steam before going home?
I remember when DD started school and the little boys ran round the playground at pickup time shouting "Poo", "Boobies" "Willies" and other words they'd discovered were rather rude.
Most grow out of it.

A tip - take his muddy shoes off and put them in a plastic bag in the boot.

Callistemon21 Fri 18-Nov-22 16:24:17

Why on earth would you let a 6 year old saying your dinners horrid upset you

Bluebelle I remember when little boys were invited to DD's age 6 birthday party. When the cake came out they started shouting "that looks yucky, oh, is that poo"? (It was chocolate icing) "not eating that" I said "You won't be wanting any, then?" Of course they did, they all stuffed their faces.

I presume they've all grown up to be responsible citizens now.
(At least one I still know has.)

rafichagran Fri 18-Nov-22 16:38:45

I agree with *easybee I collected my own Grandson aged 6 at one stage, and he was cheeky and naughty as well, but he dare not kick the seat while I was driving, also why should this Gran have her car trashed?
If you dont want to collect him dont, let the parents pay for his childcare.

GagaJo Fri 18-Nov-22 17:07:15

My grandson is a real handful. He sounds just like your grandson. My grandson is 100% normal.

You do need to establish boundaries with him. I don't know how you do that, all children/grandparents are different. But I can manage my grandson's behaviour to a certain extent. He does need to have some 'run wild' time to run off the energy after being stuck in a classroom and a chair for a day. If I don't build that in, he misbehaves. I also need to have what he is going to do when he gets back to mine after school preplanned. Not doing that leaves room for chaos and problems. So I build in time for the park, or taking him to soft play. Not as a reward or a treat. Because he has to exercise off his energy. Then at home, maybe play dough, or stories, or Lego (and be prepared to play with him).

It's a shame to favour one grandchild so much. Your grandson is probably picking up that your DGD is the favourite. She may be easier, but that doesn't mean he isn't as nice.

GagaJo Fri 18-Nov-22 17:12:26

I only had experience of girls before DGS. I hoped for a GD. My DD and neices were all 'lovely' sit down, do creative things types.

My darling grandson is wild. Zero interest in colouring, drawing, arty stuff. He is also the apple of my eye. He doesn't want to do anything quiet and contained. That's fine. He's perfect the way he is.

PoppyBlue Fri 18-Nov-22 17:13:41

I think some boys are just wild. Second child thing or boy thing or whatever.
First born children come across as angelic.

But the fact you want to 'tap' a 6 year old because you find him difficult is a big no from me.

You shouldn't pick up either. Especially the boy.

kittylester Fri 18-Nov-22 17:22:58

My thought was 'poor little sausage'.