Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

The National Anthem

(93 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 29-Nov-22 19:59:22

Listening to it before the football to-night it struck me that it is the only anthem not about the country but just about the king or queen Surely it is time to change this . Cannot say I wanted to watch the football but DH does and he has had a bad day so deserves to watch it .

HettyBetty Tue 29-Nov-22 23:23:46

I have always had serious concerns about the NA. The tune is dire, the words are only valid if you are a Christian who thinks the UK should have a monarchy. Verse Six is anti Scot.

There needs to be a new cheerful tune with lyrics about the country and its diversity. Or just la la la to the Archers tune.

I flatly refuse to sing it on the rare occasion it crops up.

nadateturbe Tue 29-Nov-22 23:29:44

My grandad used to stand when it was played on television at the end of the day.

Mollygo Wed 30-Nov-22 00:18:56

Silvergirl

I’m always bemused as to why England think it is their anthem to sing. IMHO it could equally be claimed and used by Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. England’s rugby team does the same. Just a thought!

So it could Silvergirl - but it’d take a braver person than me to tell those teams that they should sing it.
I don’t think England think it’s their song, it’s just there isn’t another ‘English’ song everyone can agree on.
On the bright side, at least the words are easy. Some of the Welsh team did not know their words.

Granny23 Wed 30-Nov-22 01:02:12

nadateturbe

My grandad used to stand when it was played on television at the end of the day.

My Father also leapt to his feet when the anthem played - to run to the TV and switch it off. No remote controls back then.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Nov-22 06:56:46

Doodledog

Zoejory

Maybe Living on a Prayer would do. Quite apt and everyone always sings along.

😂

😄😄😄

Katie59 Wed 30-Nov-22 07:29:39

It’s a dirge, very out of date and I say that as a Royalist, we need a new anthem that inspires optimism

Maggiemaybe Wed 30-Nov-22 07:30:38

Well we only get one verse so least it has the blessed benefit of being short. Some national anthems seem to drone on forever.

Katie59 Wed 30-Nov-22 07:33:14

Maggiemaybe

Well we only get one verse so least it has the blessed benefit of being short. Some national anthems seem to drone on forever.

Thank goodness it doesn’t last a long time singing it these days is almost embarrassing

nanna8 Wed 30-Nov-22 07:51:23

It’s one of the worst but no one seems to want to change it so you are stuck with it. All about one privileged person but that how it is and obviously most must like it. Ours is pretty dire,too but at least it is about the whole country.

Opal Wed 30-Nov-22 11:41:03

I agree, it needs to be changed. How about "Always look on the bright side of life"? That'll get 'em singing and dancing in the aisles ........ grin

Oreo Wed 30-Nov-22 13:26:10

How about We Will Rock You? A great song for sporting events.
Ya got mud on yer face yer big disgrace 😂

Mamie Wed 30-Nov-22 15:29:24

It is a dirge, but I like the verse about:

Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God, save us all!

Maybe just keep that one? 😂

Nannarose Wed 30-Nov-22 18:17:18

25Avalon

I can’t say I’m particularly bothered as how often is it actually used apart from the football? Do you remember when it used to play at the cinema at the end of the film and we all had to stand? Not any more. Most National Anthems are pretty dire imo and few get sung just mimed to.

I heard the film director Terence Davies (sp?) being interviewed. He said that he got his inspiration from childhood. He went to the cinema regularly with his (Irish) Republican grandmother. When she thought the film was nearing its end, she would get up and drag him out so they didn't have to stand for the National Anthem. At home, in bed, he would imagine the endings.......

Cabbie21 Wed 30-Nov-22 18:23:04

I recently sang in a concert which included the National Anthem, Rule Britannia, Jerusalem and Land of hope and glory. I don’t think the words of any are suitable , nor is I vow to thee my country. We need a new one.

grannydarkhair Wed 30-Nov-22 18:27:09

Let’s pick a new National Anthem- an idea for a new Saturday night show - I can just imagine how dire some of the entries might be 😂

Mollygo Wed 30-Nov-22 19:44:29

grannydarkhair

Let’s pick a new National Anthem- an idea for a new Saturday night show - I can just imagine how dire some of the entries might be 😂

And therein lies the problem. One person’s dire is another person’s great idea.
If we could agree on an idea for England, that would be a start, but trying to find something that will be acceptable to all four nations of the UK-with their multiple nationalities, all of whom would demand to have a say and be acceptable to everyone is unlikely.

Floradora9 Wed 30-Nov-22 21:35:23

Blossoming

Do Wales, Scotland and NI have ‘official’ national anthems? They each have their own football and rugby teams and I can’t imagine they all sing God save the current hereditary monarch.

Well Wales and Scotland certainly do I do not know about Ireland . Some people complain that " Flower of Scotland " is a bit drear but I like it , the Welsh one " Land of my Fathers " is uplifting .

grumppa Wed 30-Nov-22 22:35:54

At least Jerusalem mentions England. It always reminds me of the closing assembly at the end of term, which is a bonus.

DeeDe Thu 01-Dec-22 11:23:42

Have thought that awhile, we should have something more uplifting for our Country I also hoped it would change after the Queen died .. Can’t see it happening though.

Milest0ne Thu 01-Dec-22 11:44:57

Not Jerusalem. How many other countries would sing about establishing a foreign capital in our green and pleasant land.? How would Muslims, Hindus and other religions feel about that? Perhaps substitute Beijing or Washington? I know what Blake was referring to but that makes it a purely Christian hymn. Not relevant to our multi-cultural society.

Valels Thu 01-Dec-22 11:59:22

Grannydarkhair that made me cry with laughter. Love it! Just what I needed

Lizzie44 Thu 01-Dec-22 12:00:07

I too remember the days of scrambling to get your coat on and rush out of the cinema before being stuck having to stand through the national anthem. Land of Hope and Glory is better as a tune but the lyrics hark back to our colonial history and our ambitions to extend our power and influence. Totally inappropriate in this day and age. A new national anthem is long overdue.

Desiree1153 Thu 01-Dec-22 12:02:48

I’m Dutch and our National Anthem is about the head of state Prince William of Orange back in the 16/17th centuries I think. Can’t remember my history to my dismay. It contains the sentence ‘Wilhelmus of Nassau am I of German blood’ it tells the story of his struggle against the enemy which was then Spain with whom we fought and 80 year war and got us freedom of religion. The whole national anthem is 16 verses long (I know had to learn them in school for talking too much) usually only the first verse is sung and the 6th in church as it has ‘my shield and trust are thee my Lord’. Your discussion about National Anthems made me think about ours. (Have lived here for 27 years).

Nainijo Thu 01-Dec-22 12:05:51

The best anthem is our anthem, the Welsh National Anthem, ‘Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau’ full of passion and gets me every time I sing it.
Our anthem is not the English one

25Avalon Thu 01-Dec-22 12:10:54

Nainijo

The best anthem is our anthem, the Welsh National Anthem, ‘Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau’ full of passion and gets me every time I sing it.
Our anthem is not the English one

But the Welsh can sing