Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Happy Valley Theories ***Warning: may contain spoilers***

(110 Posts)
Oldernewgranny Sun 05-Feb-23 11:06:27

So how do you think it will end or how would you like it to end?

Doodledog Tue 07-Feb-23 09:40:15

I thought TLR's death was perfect, as it tied in with the very first scene in Series 1. We came full circle.

For those who didn't see it, the series opened with Catherine talking down a drugged-up drunk man who had poured petrol on himself and was threatening to light it.

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Feb-23 09:53:06

foxie48

I feel Catherine's relationship with Ryan was summed up at the end. She was terrified that he would be like Tommy so she couldn't trust him therefore she had to keep her emotions locked away from him. Terribly sad but at least at the end she knew he was nothing like him and for me that was the best bit. True resolution.

It was a very complex relationship on Catherine's part and must have been difficult to come to terms with. She was the only one there for him when her beloved daughter committed suicide leaving this tiny baby, a result of her abusive relationship with Tommy. Her father and brother couldn't cope with it all but Catherine was determined to do the right thing by this child. She loved him despite knowing how he'd been brought into the world.

So many levels of complexity, so many nuances in relationships and all brought together brilliantly in the final episode

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Feb-23 09:53:55

Doodledog

I thought TLR's death was perfect, as it tied in with the very first scene in Series 1. We came full circle.

For those who didn't see it, the series opened with Catherine talking down a drugged-up drunk man who had poured petrol on himself and was threatening to light it.

I'd forgotten that, thanks Doodledog

Luckygirl3 Tue 07-Feb-23 09:57:02

Psychopaths are very good at seeming to need a cuddle!

Oldernewgranny Tue 07-Feb-23 11:49:47

Thrilled with all your responses, I’ll definitely miss my Sunday fix.

Snowbell Tue 07-Feb-23 12:59:36

The two things that spoiled it for me were:
1. Surely the police would have been guarding the house, expecting TLR to turn up there
2. How did he drive all that way, leaving the bodies in the field, without being spotted?

Iam64 Tue 07-Feb-23 13:04:25

Luckygirl3

Psychopaths are very good at seeming to need a cuddle!

Exactly. It’s scary that so many people seemed to see him as remorseful and capable of love

Washerwoman Tue 07-Feb-23 13:13:13

I live near the locations.Lots of huge hilly fields.I have just walked up 9ne on my dog walk this am !I can see that the bodies wouldn't immediately be visible from the road. It was a huge field and they had driven down an incline so probably not visible from the road.

effalump Tue 07-Feb-23 13:21:59

I don't watch mainstream tv these days and if I did I wouldn't bother watching a series because I always end up missing part of it, or I get bored.