Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Leather gloves 🧤

(29 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 25-Feb-23 21:51:40

I bought some lovely soft leather gloves from JL before Christmas. I notice each glove has a tiny thin leather patch with a minute hole in the centre just inside. It sits where the back of each hand goes. At first I wondered whether it was a ‘pull on’ device but the small hole set me wondering.

Have any of you clever grans got any idea what they are for? I could take a photo ...

NotSpaghetti Sat 25-Feb-23 21:53:13

Yes. A photo might help.

crazyH Sat 25-Feb-23 21:56:25

Photo please - I’m intrigued

Urmstongran Sat 25-Feb-23 21:56:32

Here.
I do think it might be a tag to assist the pulling on of the glove but I can’t say I’ve ever noticed similar on other leather gloves I’ve bought. And what’s the tiny hole for?

Jaxjacky Sat 25-Feb-23 21:58:26

I just checked my new ones from M&S Urms, same thing, I hadn’t noticed. You’ve piqued my curiosity now, I hope someone knows.

MawtheMerrier Sat 25-Feb-23 21:59:56

Are they for hanging them up in the shop or for the price tag without damaging the leather of the actual,glove?

Urmstongran Sat 25-Feb-23 22:00:10

I’m convinced Someone cleverer than us will be along later Jax!

MawtheMerrier Sat 25-Feb-23 22:02:02

Or maybe hanging them up to dry (after dyeing) in the manufacturing process?

Urmstongran Sat 25-Feb-23 22:02:17

The gloves were all displayed on individual little plastic hangers Maw (think as with pairs of slippers) so the tiny leather tag was tucked inside and not apparent.

Urmstongran Sat 25-Feb-23 22:03:28

Hmm. A possibility in the dyeing process, maybe ...

MawtheMerrier Sat 25-Feb-23 22:12:26

Like this ?

NotSpaghetti Sat 25-Feb-23 22:34:15

I think it's possibly for putting a security tag on - as maw said, this wouldn't damage the gloves.

ixion Sat 25-Feb-23 22:48:09

Perhaps the holes are for attaching a piece of string through the sleeves one to the other, so you don't lose them - we used to have that in the '50s at primary school😉.

(Well, at least the other kids did. My mother thought it was terribly common🙄)

crazyH Sat 25-Feb-23 22:52:28

This is my new pair of gloves from M&S . The little whole is to attach the washing instructions

crazyH Sat 25-Feb-23 22:52:52

Sorry, hole

Nannagarra Sat 25-Feb-23 23:10:35

I’ve often wondered this and do not know the answer. I’ve spent many a happy hour and much of DH’s dosh (🤣) in Sermoneta in Rome but haven’t asked. The quality of the leather and choice of colours are outstanding. Quite possibly they have opened in London - perhaps a gran in the area could help us out.

Urmstongran Sun 26-Feb-23 07:25:20

Ooh Maw those are the gloves I nearly bought in JL! I liked the coloured buttons.
😊

Urmstongran Sun 26-Feb-23 07:30:10

That made me laugh ixion!
The hole though is tiny you have to search for it. I did wonder if it was for threading something through but it would have to be very fine, such as cotton thread. Unless of course as Maw has posited, it’s from the dyeing process and perhaps the hole is from a wire - hundreds of gloves threaded onto it to hang suspended somewhere.

A mystery in Life. 😁

FannyCornforth Sun 26-Feb-23 07:32:37

ixion

Perhaps the holes are for attaching a piece of string through the sleeves one to the other, so you don't lose them - we used to have that in the '50s at primary school😉.

(Well, at least the other kids did. My mother thought it was terribly common🙄)

That’s exactly what I was going to suggest!
I love the whole subject of what mum’s thoughts on what was common. It always makes my smile, remembering my mom and her funny snobbery.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 26-Feb-23 07:33:48

Nannagarra

I’ve often wondered this and do not know the answer. I’ve spent many a happy hour and much of DH’s dosh (🤣) in Sermoneta in Rome but haven’t asked. The quality of the leather and choice of colours are outstanding. Quite possibly they have opened in London - perhaps a gran in the area could help us out.

Burlington Arcade opposite (more or less) Fortnums

Riverwalk Sun 26-Feb-23 08:11:39

Ha, ha, I too wondered what they were after buying a pair of gloves from Uniglo - I then worked out that they are indeed where the hanging device for display purposes had been attached, evidence by the tiny hole!

Riverwalk Sun 26-Feb-23 08:27:57

Forgot to add, the display plastic thingy from which they hang is where the card with the bar code is also.

As an aside, in Uniglo at the self-service you don't even have to scan the item you just drop it into a trough and the bar codes are read, even a number of items just dropped on top of each other - they make it so easy to part with your money.

NotSpaghetti Sun 26-Feb-23 08:58:51

Urmstongran

Ooh Maw those are the gloves I nearly bought in JL! I liked the coloured buttons.
😊

There are gloves quite like this on Amazon.
I was looking at them yesterday but couldn't decide on colours 😍

Daddima Sun 26-Feb-23 09:19:29

NotSpaghetti

Urmstongran

😊

There are gloves quite like this on Amazon.
I was looking at them yesterday but couldn't decide on colours 😍

I have these ( and some others) from Vera Tucci online. They often have good bargains.

JackyB Sun 26-Feb-23 11:06:33

I shouldn't worry too much about choosing a colour or getting nice gloves. In my experience, as soon as you get a nice pair of gloves, that look great, match your coat and fit well, you lose one.grin

Oh, and, I doubt that it's anything to do with dying - surely the !rather is dyed before the gloves are cut out?