Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Pomegranates in the 1940s and 50s

(49 Posts)
Snack Wed 08-Mar-23 19:03:32

My mum (82) says that she and her friends often ate pomegranates when they were growing up as a treat. This sounds unlikely to me but of course I wasn’t there. Does anyone know if pomegranates were around in the UK in the 1940s/50s?

Cold Wed 08-Mar-23 23:02:30

My Nanna used to buy me one as a treat in the 1960s. They were only available for a short season and she used to cut the pomegranate in half and I scooped out the seeds with a teaspoon

LadyHonoriaDedlock Wed 08-Mar-23 23:11:50

My mum was familiar with pomegranates, eating the seeds with a pin, in the 40s and 50s.

Mollygo Wed 08-Mar-23 23:27:12

kittylester

I had them (amid great excitement) during the 50s. We ate the insides with a pin!

So did we! Think of health and safety now!

Norah Wed 08-Mar-23 23:27:31

Had poms as a child, in the 50s.

maddyone Wed 08-Mar-23 23:32:39

kittylester

I had them (amid great excitement) during the 50s. We ate the insides with a pin!

We did too. I think they were only available in Autumn.

Audun Wed 08-Mar-23 23:42:52

They were readily available when I was at primary chool in Edinburgh in the 40s and 50s, Coud not have been expensive as we had very little pocket money. The seeds were so pretty, but had to be spat out! half each!

cornergran Thu 09-Mar-23 00:16:38

In the 1950’s and early 60’’s my Dad used to come back from the wholesale market with them as a treat for my Mum who loved pomegranates. None for me as I couldn’t and can’t bear the smell of them.

fiorentina51 Thu 09-Mar-23 05:57:13

I recall having pomegranates as a child in the 1950s, ate with the aid of one of granny's hat pins. A special treat courtesy of said granny.
I am also a kid from the backstreets of Birmingham Kate49.

Whiff Thu 09-Mar-23 05:58:16

I was born in the late 50's but remember having a pomegranate in the 60's usually Christmas time cut in half and eaten with a pin like others have said.

Do others remember eating winkles ( shellfish)with a pin at the seaside and having little dishes of cockles with salt and vinegar . They always tasted gritty with sand. You had to eat them at the stall to give the dish back.

karmalady Thu 09-Mar-23 06:19:59

yes in the late 50s. We used to eat them with a pin

BlueBalou Thu 09-Mar-23 06:32:46

karmalady

Me too. I’m not convinced I actually enjoyed them, I haven’t had one since!

harrigran Thu 09-Mar-23 07:40:59

Yes they were around in the 40s and 50s, I can remember being given half a one and a pin, used to keep me busy for ages. I think my mother used the time get her jobs done without me pestering her.

Mogsmaw Thu 09-Mar-23 08:05:00

karmalady

Same here with the pin. My gran used to buy me one from the local grocery where she did “the weekly shop”. It had a fruit and veg counter. I had my first job working there when I was at school in the 70’s. Mr G went to the Glasgow market at Blochearn (sic) at dawn for the stock so it was locally available. It’s interesting we sold pomegranates because avocados were completely unknown and peppers were an occasional item.
There was a counter where everything was selected by staff and put in brown paper and paid for separately from the rest of your shopping.

Washerwoman Thu 09-Mar-23 13:28:18

Certainly in the early 60s my mum would buy one for me as an occasional treat and I would spend ages picking out the seeds with a pin as others have said. The taste of them now take me right back to bring a little girl.

Glorianny Fri 17-Mar-23 21:21:38

Ate them with a pin in the '50s.. Cut into quarters one for each family member.

lixy Fri 17-Mar-23 21:36:47

I wasn't allowed a pin - we used a cocktail stick instead. Half a pomegranate would last most of the afternoon.

Eloethan Sat 18-Mar-23 01:01:46

They were certainly around in the mid 50's as we sometimes had them. I thought they were a real treat then but now I don't like them that much - too fiddly.

absent Sat 18-Mar-23 04:56:24

I was born in 1950 and remember eating pomegranates when I was quite a young a child. It was so special because they looked as if they were filled with little jewels.

There seem to have been a lot of smart mothers with pins among our fellow gransnetters' families.

MrsKen33 Sat 18-Mar-23 05:40:39

I was born in the mid40s and well remember pomegranates. As others have said they were cut in half and eaten with a pin. Hat pin if you had one or just an ordinary sewing pin.

nanna8 Sat 18-Mar-23 05:49:36

We got them in the 1950s in SE London. Just the local greengrocer down the road. The oranges were dry and nasty , strawberries usually mouldy but the pomegranites were good.

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Mar-23 06:58:31

Whiff - we had winkles too but we collected them ourself on the beach. We picked the ones from a rocky area where there was less sand in the first place and we soaked them for at least an afternoon in seawater to "purge" them. We then cooked them and ate with a pin - and usually vinegar. I don't remember them as gritty but expect an odd one must have been.
Happy days.

Yes Pomegranate also eaten with a pin but now I get the seeds out for cooking I think that would be tedious!

Coincidentally I have been looking at Pomegranates for a gift for my daughter's garden.
Is anyone growing them here in the UK? A friend of the family had one when I was a girl but I only remember the flowers on it - not fruit.

nanna8 Sat 18-Mar-23 07:47:56

My daughter has one but that is here in Australia. I think they don’t like frost so maybe in a greenhouse ?

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Mar-23 07:59:18

Thanks Nanna I read that some varieties are OK in frost (to -15!) But I don't know anyone who is growing one. Maybe I should start a new thread?