Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Thermal underwear

(40 Posts)
ExDancer Thu 09-Mar-23 12:21:59

For years I thought Damart was the the 'go to' place for thermal vests, but after buying one from M&S I realise they are no different.
I am very troubled by the cold weather (unlike DH) and am pretty miserable all winter.
I am currently wearing 2 damart vests, a tee shirt and a jumper, plus a gilet indoors - and I'm frozen. My hands and even my nose are cold.
Can anyone recommend a truly warm source of thermal underwear?
I don't care how unglamorous it is!

Elegran Sat 11-Mar-23 11:23:52

mrswoo

In addition to thermal vests and thick fleecy tights I wear cashmere wrist warmers indoors as well as outside and they really seem to help keep me warm.
The wrist warmers are from a company called Turtle Doves and are made of recycled cashmere from jumpers etc. They also make fingerless gloves, hats, and wraps in beautiful colours.

If your budget won't run to £32 for wrist warmers, cut the feet off a pair of warm socks that have gone through at the heels, and wear the tops on your wrists. If you tuck the cut ends up your sleeves, no-one will recognise them, and if you don't care about looks, cut a small hole for your thumb to turn them into fingerless gloves. (The socks-into-fingerless-gloves wheeze is also good for keeping a white dressing clean on the back or palm of your hand - or a grandchild's)

NotSpaghetti Sat 11-Mar-23 11:10:40

Is anyone still buying thermals please?
If so, where has still got stock?
Thank you.

NotSpaghetti Sat 11-Mar-23 10:17:04

M&S also sold out of the woolen ones

NotSpaghetti Sat 11-Mar-23 10:16:44

I have tried to buy for my husband on Uniqlo.
Never have his size. He is not not huge or small.
I looked again thus morning and the items he would wear are unavailable again.

ExDancer Sat 11-Mar-23 08:42:18

I will look into this Humbertbear I'd love to be too warm! Thankyou.

2J8DATLAS Fri 10-Mar-23 23:26:20

I recommend Uniqlo Heatech thermals too

NotSpaghetti Fri 10-Mar-23 22:16:39

ayse

Thermal tights UNDER cord trousers😬. Jeans are not warm either.

I was trying to imagine that! grin

Humbertbear Fri 10-Mar-23 21:46:35

When I visited Antarctica I wore a base layer (wool, thermal) from Uniqlo and then their Heat Tech range over the top. If anything, I was too warm.

ayse Fri 10-Mar-23 17:44:12

Thermal tights UNDER cord trousers😬. Jeans are not warm either.

ayse Fri 10-Mar-23 17:42:49

I feel the cold especially in my hands and feet. Over the last 3 or so years I’ve bought wool jumpers (merino with cashmere). They’ve become very expensive but I’m very glad I have. I wear merino base layers now courtesy of my daughter but used to wear M&S thermals. I wear thermal tights over cord trousers. My latest find are Nordic socks. They’re very thick and warm worn under boots a half size too big. A couple of years ago I bought some fur gloves (rabbit probably) and found a long sheepskin jacket in the Red Cross shop @ £30. Finally I have two woolly hats ,beanie type plus a very soft woollen scarf.

Yesterday I was absolutely roasted when I collected the grandchildren from school.

I’d go for natural fibres all the time as I’ve finally found a way to keep warm on bitterly cold days.

Kalu Fri 10-Mar-23 15:31:55

The quilted trousers.

I will say no more on the subject now!

Kalu Fri 10-Mar-23 15:27:43

OR a fake fur one.

Kalu Fri 10-Mar-23 15:26:11

Wouldn’t say they were terribly stylish but I recently bought a pair of quilted/puffa type trousers on EBay. Can’t recommend them highly enough for keeping legs warm all day, good in the garden too.

Kalu Fri 10-Mar-23 15:21:48

I wear two long sleeved silk thermal tops and matching long johns, not the silky drawers Marylin may have worn Maw 😂Cashmere jumpers, socks and a silk scarf round my neck. I have also knitted two alpaca triangular shawls to throw over my shoulders. For whatever reason, I am feeling the cold much more this winter than I ever did. Ocassionally use a heated throw of a fake fur one if I sit for long periods. Poor circulation at this age is my guess.
M&S thermals are good too, just thicker than the silk numbers.

PaperMonster Fri 10-Mar-23 14:55:18

Have you tried an Oodie?

Caleo Fri 10-Mar-23 11:14:52

ExDancer

Caleo Fri 10-Mar-23 11:14:20

Ex-dancer, none of the garments you mention warms your feet, legs, head, or neck.

Forsythia Fri 10-Mar-23 11:01:32

I can’t wear wool next to the skin but I buy Heatgen from M&S to wear under fleece joggers from Lands End and any fleece top I choose. Those, with thermal socks, keep me warm throughout the day. I also wear a fleece gilet over the lot if it’s particularly cold.

Hetty58 Fri 10-Mar-23 10:54:53

I can't wear any type of wool without severe itching and a rash. JaneJudge, I like thermals a size too big, anyway, as it traps more warm air - and doesn't restrict circulation. I just take the waist and ankles in with a few tacking stitches.

Still, I wear them for outings - but indoors here (in a big, draughty old house) a double layer of loose fleece PJ bottoms is the most blissfully comfortable thing to wear, along with layered tops and gilets, easy to add or take off depending on how active I am.

I have knitted ankle warmers for my chilly, skinny ankles and I'll wear a scarf and hat, too, if I'm still cold. I really love my electric blanket so I've just ordered a heated throw for when I'm sitting - as that's when I can soon feel chilly. It won't take long to pay for itself if I keep the heating on low:

www.vytaliving.com/products/heated-nordic-snuggie

MawtheMerrier Fri 10-Mar-23 10:27:46

I have both long sleeved and sleeveless thermal vests from M&S and on the one occasion I thought a T shirt under a jumper “might” do I was sorely disappointed.
(I even wear them under pj’s in bed.
Marilyn Monroe , eat you heart out! )

JaneJudge Fri 10-Mar-23 10:20:34

I bought some thermals from sainsburys which are very comfy but I think I needed the next size down and my long johns keep falling down underneath my trousers blush

NotSpaghetti Fri 10-Mar-23 10:17:44

M&S sell merino mix baselayers.
My husband likes them.

Beware of heated clothing (battery operated) if you have a pacemaker check that the one you are considering is safe with a pacemaker as some are not.

CharRVT88 Fri 10-Mar-23 05:29:37

They make battery operated heated clothing, I recently bought heated socks and gloves. They are amazing!

Sarah75 Thu 09-Mar-23 17:54:50

I don’t find merino wool itchy. The base layers (there are pants as well as tops) are very fine wool and lightweight, but warm. DH wears them to go mountain walking in winter.

mrswoo Thu 09-Mar-23 17:34:13

In addition to thermal vests and thick fleecy tights I wear cashmere wrist warmers indoors as well as outside and they really seem to help keep me warm.
The wrist warmers are from a company called Turtle Doves and are made of recycled cashmere from jumpers etc. They also make fingerless gloves, hats, and wraps in beautiful colours.