Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mother's Day card

(16 Posts)
PoppyBlue Tue 21-Mar-23 20:51:24

Just read your old posts.

If I was you I'd try and maintain a relationship with your ex dil as she was the only one who would facilitate a relationship with your grandchild.

Considering your son doesn't want anything to do with his child ( dunno if that's still the case?) I'd focus on a relationship with her.

PoppyBlue Tue 21-Mar-23 20:42:21

In the past 2 years, did your son send you anything?
Why is he angry?
Did he send you anything this year?

I'd just think its a nice thing to do, especially when children are Involved.

Patsy70 Tue 21-Mar-23 18:41:37

I am very close to my nearly ex dil (as are the rest of our family) and she sent me a lovely message on Mother’s Day. In fact, we are going on holiday together with one of my granddaughters, her younger daughter. She is still very much a part of our family, and lives only a few minutes’ walk away. I consider myself to be very fortunate. My son is also still close to his in-laws.

Elegran Tue 21-Mar-23 17:25:58

I used to have an aunt who had three sons, but always wished she could have had at least one daughter. Two sons divorced, but she stayed as friendly with her two ex-daughters-in-law as she was with her three DiLs. All were the daughters she would have loved to have. The relationship between a woman and her son's wife doesn't have to be acrimonious, even if her son and his wife have split up.

timetogo2016 Tue 21-Mar-23 16:20:06

I still get on very well with my in-laws,despite having divorced my X.
It`s him i divorced not them.
I would say thank you,it`s really a kind gesture imo.

Ilovecheese Tue 21-Mar-23 16:11:38

I think she might be trying to say that she feels she will always be more important than any subsequent partners of your son. She has not sent one until he has moved on so you do wonder why now.
However, you can still remain on good, if more distant, terms because of your grandson.

pandapatch Tue 21-Mar-23 13:13:28

Sorry if I am being dense, but what point does he think she is making?

pascal30 Tue 21-Mar-23 13:08:12

east12

Vera
My son is very angry and like you thinks she is making a point,last two years she had sent nothing.I do have a 5 year old grandson.

oh tricky.. but do stay friendly if you can...grandson comes first

east12 Tue 21-Mar-23 10:12:26

Vera
My son is very angry and like you thinks she is making a point,last two years she had sent nothing.I do have a 5 year old grandson.

SunshineSally Tue 21-Mar-23 00:02:17

east12

I received a mothers day card from soon to be ex dil, what do I make of this as my son has moved on.

Accept it in the spirit it was given and say thank you!

Just because they’re divorcing, doesn’t mean you can’t be friendly (especially if there are grandchildren) unless you didn’t get on?

nexus63 Mon 20-Mar-23 23:55:25

i think that was a very nice thing for her to do, do you have gc? and does she usually stay in touch with you, just because your son has moved on is no reason for her to cut you out of her life. text or email her and say thank you, it was probably sent with love and shows she still considers you part of her family.

crazyH Mon 20-Mar-23 23:50:19

My son’s ex gf invited me to her wedding. My son didn’t want me to attend. I wasn’t all that close to her, so I too wondered why she had invited me. I sent her a ‘good wishes ‘ card ofcourse …

V3ra Mon 20-Mar-23 23:38:37

Are there grandchildren involved? If so be glad she's maintaining a friendly relationship with you.

Or, has your son got a new partner and is your daughter-in-law possibly making a point...? 🤔

Ro60 Mon 20-Mar-23 23:17:55

What a kind thought!
Without knowing all of you, I would think she was saying you were kind to her & she wishes you well.

Hithere Mon 20-Mar-23 23:02:11

How nice she sent you a card!

You can have a good relationship with her, regardless of their divorce

east12 Mon 20-Mar-23 22:59:59

I received a mothers day card from soon to be ex dil, what do I make of this as my son has moved on.