Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I need honest advice

(89 Posts)
Fflaurie Thu 23-Mar-23 09:52:41

I had an accident last year and seriously injured my back, I had had a bad back for years before, but this was serious, I ended up having neurosurgery on my back and need aids around the house to get around, and I now have to use a walker outside. I also had to retire early on the grounds of ill health. Anyway, we used to go away to a lovely hotel twice a year, but since lockdown, we havent been anywhere. We have booked to go back there in the Autumn, but I am scared witless about going. I know I can get airport assistance, but, I am so worried that the flight will aggravate my injury, the strange bed, getting meals from the buffet, sleeping on a strange bed and so on and on. Would you go, or would you stay in your safe home and have a holiday from home? Please be honest. Thank you.

ooonana Tue 28-Mar-23 21:10:47

Hello Fflaurie firstly I’m sorry to hear you have had such rotten luck. My first thought would be make sure you are well covered by insurance for your trip just in case…..

Lizbethann55 Tue 28-Mar-23 16:36:03

Another thought. Have you tried acupuncture? I ask because I had it a while ago. The lady I went to had badly damaged her back in a car accident and had been in permanent pain despite having all sorts of treatment. Someone suggested acupuncture to her. She was dead against it. She was a scientist and didn't believe in " mumbo jumbo " therapies. She finally went out of desperation and could not believe the difference it made. So much so that she trained as an acupuncturist. Just like her, you would have nothing to lose.

Lizbethann55 Tue 28-Mar-23 16:30:58

Hi. I am one of life's cowards. Fear stops me from doing many things, and I hate myself for it. Don't be like me. You don't say how old you are, but if you have taken early retirement you can't be very old, or where this hotel is. Speak to your medical team and physio's and see what they suggest or advise. Try a destination a short flight away first and use small airports. You say you know the hotel, so you will have an idea of the levels of comfort, staffing help and accessibility. Perhaps try a small hotel first. If it will not cause more permanent damage then give it a go. At least that way you will know. Good luck.

multicolourswapshop Mon 27-Mar-23 18:38:06

Ff
Sorry thoughtI had posted here goes again
I’m 4 years into stroke recovery and I started going for ashort breaks in a hotel close to home. I too was scared to attempt this and learned the pitfalls of disability and pain
I listed a few things which made things easier and packed them in my brain ready for the next trip. I asked many questions of the hotel, did they have a raised toilet cause you’d never believe some hotels didn’t and I bought a piece of equipment to fit on the toilet so that I could rise comfortably I bought a grab rail so that I could pull myself off the loo I bought a padded lumber support so that I could sit comfortably in any car seat I researched and researched what would best support me on a journey and I went for it.
Perhaps it might best if you go for short stays close to home and then bite the bullet you’ll gain confidence each time you go away,take the lumber support they’re fabulous,,small steps at a time -I wish you well.but don’t sit wondering flowers get on with your life

Some folks will be saying how does she afford these things.
Self directed support pays for respite and the equipment needed Google it see what you can be entitled to.good luck

Marydoll Mon 27-Mar-23 18:01:35

Quokka, I cannot tolerate any oral pain relief medication.
I was prescribed Fentanyl patches for my vertebraic fractures, which are held together with bone cement.
Fifteen years later, I'm still in pain.
It's worth thinking about.

Quokka Mon 27-Mar-23 15:59:01

I fell and broke my back last year so understand your dilemma. After a few good/better weeks I’m now laid up again with pain from the injury area. It’s been four days.

I’m guessing that you also have good days and bad days, good weeks and bad weeks? Personally I’m not venturing far from home yet. Fear of another flare up. It might be you could take some strong medication with you? This isn’t an option for me as all the pills I took for pain have caused a stomach ulcer so I’m limited to paracetamol.

Fingers crossed for you

EmilyHarburn Mon 27-Mar-23 15:49:39

As others have suggested, build up your confidence. Also start your pain killers before travelling.
When you arrive an go to bed, take a sleeping tablet. I buy one a night Kalms or Boots sleep Eazy tablets which come in 2 strengths and have to be bought from behind the pharmacists counter.

Again I occasionally use these at home so that I know what works best and feel confident using them on holiday.

madeleine45 Mon 27-Mar-23 06:55:18

I see some sensible advice in other posts. I have travelled alone and with someone all over the world and lived abroad etc so enjoyed the chance to try new things etc. However now my back causes me many problems and mobility is not good, and so last year I tried a cruise. I would not dream of going on large ships, not my idea of fun at all. However I went with Fred Olsen, and went the cheapest cabin offer to try it out going to Portugal and Maderia. I had lived in Portugal and like Maderia and am a keen gardener. So it worked well for me. You have your cabin set up as it suits you, there were lifts and rails along the corridors. The staff were all very helpful, the food very good and they had some tables reserved for disabled if you wished or needed to use them. Staff carried my food for me. I have sailed my own boat for many years, and they had a tv in the cabin where you could also have it on to show the deck and the sea etc and could watch coming into port . I tended to be awake very early and went up on an observation deck with my coffee and sat in peace there and enjoyed it. There were of course plenty of options of things to do, and I found having a day at sea and a day going ashore suited me, because I tend to push myself and then regret it. I think the idea of trying out the uk first is very good and if you really love the place you want to visit I think you will lessen your anxiety by trying out uk places. The thing to do is to try an easy trip and have a note book to jot down things that you need to ask about or are important to you. For example a simple one is can you walk in at pavement level to your hotel or are there steps to negotiate etc. What distances are you comfortable walking and how long at a time can you walk or sit at a time. Once you have some idea of these things you can then check with your hotel and see if it will suit you. I had never considered cruising at all, definitely did not want to be with big crowds or on a large ship. However my situation made me look around to see what I could manage and still enjoy my independance, so we have to accept that our goal posts move and we might have to think of different possibilities. I hope you can look at some of these ideas from everyone and gain confidence in travelling again. Wishing you the best of luck

Hetty58 Sun 26-Mar-23 23:59:00

I had a back injury in 2017 and, to be honest (as you asked) I wouldn't risk it. Any travel can cause my back to spasm - with travel by car/road being the worst culprit. It would be a very long way to get back home in severe pain.

Even a simple day out has changed for me - from being a real pleasure to a challenge (or ordeal). Although I can easily walk for miles locally, any steep hills, steps, uneven ground or awkward manoeuvres can cause problems. Simple things like using the loo or getting settled/comfy in bed can be problematic.

In your case, this year, I'd be looking for accommodation with really good, level accessibility for the disabled, much nearer home.

PenJK50 Sun 26-Mar-23 23:33:43

We are wavering about going abroad too. I think we may go on one of Saga’s new ships as they pick you up from your home and deliver you to Southampton.

They are offering some trips around the U.K. as well as a good variety of warmer weather ones.

4allweknow Sun 26-Mar-23 23:23:06

Would have tried a short stay near home before embarking on an overseas holiday. Your insurance must be astronomical.

Slug1234 Sun 26-Mar-23 22:36:13

Heart felt sympathies x I am not a gran - I am a 40 year old guest here- until recently I was a granddaughter - and I joined to get help with some family problems years ago. You don’t disclose your age or how far you are thinking to travel to the lovely hotel. I agree with the others - you shud do a local trip without airports or air travel to see what you are up to. Air travel is complex and exhausting. Since cOvid, I get anxiety about air travel and I don’t even suffer any physical problems. Even ‘the young’ have terrible problems trying to resume normal activities post covid. Some will never resume their pre-covid lifestyles and that’s ok too. Test your capabilities and tolerance slowly. Take an assortment of travel pillows and home comforts.

Saetana Sun 26-Mar-23 22:26:52

Mass extinction? Oh please, hyperbole much? So tired of the climate zealots - and, by the way, I don't fly. The planet will be absolutely fine, she has survived through far far worse than this. As for humanity, well a few less people on the planet would be a good thing - we are seriously overpopulated and it is THIS which is causing many of our current problems!

albertina Sun 26-Mar-23 20:10:42

The short break advice is good. Try that first.

I speak as someone with a back injury that makes life difficult, but I do try to get away from my home for occasional breaks.

Whatever you do, do what you feel comfortable with. Look after yourself.

missdeke Sun 26-Mar-23 18:41:23

I have many conditions that require assistance and walking aids but I went to Spain to visit my daughter by myself and managed very well, the flight was smooth and assistance given. The only reason I havn't been since lockdown is that the cost of travel insurance is prohibitive, the last quote for a week away was £800 and that was the cheapest one!

I went away in the UK last year less than 2 weeks after breaking my hip and having a replacement operation.

I would suggest a short break not too far away as your first attempt at a holiday, if that works out ok, go for something more adventurous.

mousemac Sun 26-Mar-23 18:37:18

You know the hotel and they know you.
Maybe the journey there is the real obstacle. I'm simply speaking as a person who has experience of travel-fear disability. It is awful having to rely on the kindness of strangers (sorry, Blanche, but it is) in transit. But the real question is whether the destination is worth the anxiety.

MadeInYorkshire Sun 26-Mar-23 18:34:47

My back is completely shot now due to being effectively 8 months pregnant for 15 years, and I have a cage in my neck. I cannot get in and out of any bed, even a hospital bed which I did try, without help and pain, and have been sleeping in a riser recliner now for 13 years. Even the thought of going away now makes me shudder (as does going into hospital, as it is likely that I will strangulate again - one of the doctors on rounds last time told me it was ridiculous that I couldn't get out of bed, and sent the physios round, who said, no I can't! I even ask for a chair pre - op but have never been given one, although I know that they have them as I have sat in one!) The best I can do now is sleep in a wing back chair with a stool, if I dare set foot out of the door, which I have barely done since October 2021 when I moved my mum down south to be with me.

I think flying will be ok if getting assistance (they can get you a chair or buggy through the airport), but what do you want to do when you get there? Meals from the buffet is ok, they can bring to your table, it's the rest of it? I think that you should try and get away for few days in the UK first and see how it goes. There's a nice Warner place near me - Littlecote House and I think they cater for people wit mobility difficulties?

Barmeyoldbat Sun 26-Mar-23 18:05:12

I am in pretty much the same situation as you with upper back pain and I take morphine to control the pain, which does it very well and allows me to lead a fairly normal life. I want to go abroad for a holiday but like you worry about beds, travelling with my morphine, even with a Drs letter, and general issued. I go on holiday in this country at the moment for 5 days breaks to a self catering place where I know I am comfortable. It has a spare bed for me to move into if needed and plenty of places to eat out when I am in a good place. I would do some short breaks to varies places, maybe just 3 or 4 nights and see how you get on. For me as much as I would love to go abroad again, I know I won’t as the stress to me isn’t worth it but then again I have travelled extensively and don’t mind this country.

nadateturbe Sun 26-Mar-23 17:45:42

I would try somewhere here first, as others have said. Good luck, I hope you get there. I really miss travelling.
Caleo some people just like going on holiday!!!

welbeck Sun 26-Mar-23 17:29:53

don't go.
did you agree to it to please your husband ?
you are not the same as you were before, to try to negate that by ignoring facts could be very unpleasant, even risky.
it's not worth it.
you need to put yourself first now,
and your special needs.
good luck.

Boolya Sun 26-Mar-23 17:24:35

Enable Holidays are very good. They looked after our needs in jersey last year and in San Sebastián back in 2019. My husband is semi-paraplegic and I didn't have to worry.

homefarm Sun 26-Mar-23 17:12:55

I have been in your position. My answer is no, I wouldn't go. We found something similar at home - ok the weather wasn't so wonderful as some places abroad - but everyone had an enjoyable time and no issues.

Nashville Sun 26-Mar-23 16:30:42

I would be worried about flight delays. Airports are exhausting even when they run smoothly but last year there were so many examples of overcrowding and delays I would be wary of going even with assistance.

The hotel part is likely to be fine but the flight is an unknown. My vote is no.

Helenlouise3 Sun 26-Mar-23 16:21:39

Only you know if this worry beforehand will affect your ability to enjoy your holiday. If you feel you'd like to try going then I suggest you access all the help available. Book the airport assistance and the extra leg room seats. Take a neck cushion for the plane , ask for a room near the restaurant/entertainment etc We've only been back a few hours from a hotel where guests with mobility problems were treated exceptionally well, with tables set aside for them etc. Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your holiday.

Cp43 Sun 26-Mar-23 15:48:49

Why not try a short holiday in UK first.
It might not involve airport and flights but may be on a train.
My disabled friend goes to IOW and stays in a Warners. She was used to 5 star standards before her stroke so is v particular so its a good recommendation.