Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Studying and working after retirement

(45 Posts)
bytheway Sun 21-Jan-24 13:58:06

Hi

I retired in 2020 at aged 54 (57 now) and have gone through periods of boredom and wondering whether I should return to work.

I spent my whole working life in admin/senior admin roles. I worked to pay the bills and was never ambitious. Had 9 to 5 jobs so I could have evenings and weekends with the kids and DH.
I regret that I didn’t do more with my life but thanks to DH we are financially very comfortable.

I sat yesterday and wondered if I could do ‘this’ for the next 20+ years. This being, get up, walk the dog, have breakfast, do a jigsaw/go the gym/do some gardening, lunch, watch TV, another dog walk, prepare tea etc etc.

I decided I couldn’t, it’s making me feel miserable. I need more.

Im very introverted, have few friends (by choice) so I don’t want to join clubs.

I’ve always enjoyed numbers (I always say my brain works in numbers not letters) and wonder if it would be a good idea to go back to college and get my accountancy qualifications but I don’t want to just do it for the pleasure of doing it, I want to do it so I can work in that field after.

But am I too old to think I can get work in that field when I’m 60+?

So, i suppose I’m asking has anyone started studying in retirement and then gone on to get a job in their chosen field?

JaneJudge Sun 21-Jan-24 14:02:11

I am imagine it is perfectly viable to be a newly qualified accountant in your 60s. What do you have to lose? Nothing, that's what.

People retrain in all sorts of stuff if they have the money to do so, you have the money to do so, so do it.

Life is short, grasp what will make you happy

biglouis Sun 21-Jan-24 14:15:34

I dont believe older people have less potential to learn than younger age groups. I didnt make it to uni until my 40s and worked my way quickly through to Ph.D level. I still had a respectable career in academia before I finally retired at 60. Even then I continued to do research and consultancy for about 10 years.

I know little about the profession of accountancy. Im assuming you would not want to work full time for a large accountancy firm alongside new graduates half your age.

However there are many SMEs who would probably like someone to do their tax return and/or VAT for them because they find it a boring chore. Im quite capable of doing basic bookkeeping but its not something I enjoy. When I became VAT registered I farmed the work out to a relative. I'm thinking particularly of people who run a creative (ETSY style) business of some kind who would prefer to concentrate on what they know and do best. That way you could take on as much or as little work as suited you.

Septimia Sun 21-Jan-24 14:43:11

DH and I went and did PhDs in our 60s. There were postgrads in their 80s as well as many younger than us. We were a good, friendly group regardless of ages. We haven't really done paid work since, but we do use our skills in a voluntary manner.

If you fancy studying, I'd say go for it. You might well find that you're in demand for examining the annual accounts of small organisations like churches and village halls.

OldFrill Sun 21-Jan-24 14:53:44

Ring the college and they will invite you in for a chat, that should make things much clearer.
I really think you should do it. Good luck

Jewelle Sun 21-Jan-24 15:40:01

I also retired early and I did a masters age 55 because I couldn't just do nothing all day (pretty much the same things you described). I have just started a PhD at age 61. I'm loving the studying. I keep getting asked what I'm doing when I finish the PhD and at the moment I don't know, but who knows where it may lead?

Shelflife Sun 21-Jan-24 15:57:48

bytheway, just go for it . If accountancy is what you want then why not? Believe me the next 20 years will whiz by, so make good use of those years . As a qualified accountant I feel sure you will secure employment. Good luck , don't waste time wondering - get moving and good luck!

Patsy70 Sun 21-Jan-24 16:01:44

Go for it bytheway, you have nothing to lose. Follow the advice offered above and ring the college to arrange an appointment for an informal chat. You need the stimulation. Don’t forget to keep us updated. Good luck!

Leaves1 Sun 21-Jan-24 19:01:20

"A journey begins with a single step".......Yes, go for it bytheway.
I wish you all the best.

varian Sun 21-Jan-24 19:09:43

Why retire at 54? I worked well into my 70s because I enjoyed my work and had become self-employed in my late fifties, which gave me the freedom to do whatever I wanted with my time.

By all means retrain, get qualifications which will allow you to become a self-employed professional and work as long as you want.

silverlining48 Sun 21-Jan-24 19:09:59

My very first formal exam was 25 years after leaving school. BA Hons. I didn’t stop there. Never too late,

biglouis Mon 22-Jan-24 00:44:07

Some of my best students in uni were the mature ones. In proportion to their numbers more of them got a 1st than the younger ones.

Older students have had years of practice at managing their workload and balancing competing priorities. They are more self disciplined, organized and skilled at time management. These qualities are far more important than coming straight from school and A levels.

varian Mon 22-Jan-24 18:09:54

Mature students have not drifted into university because that's what all of their friends were doing.

They have discovered what they are really interested in and are highly motivated.

In a group which includes a good number of mature students, the school leavers will also benefit from working alongside older people.

flappergirl Mon 22-Jan-24 22:03:34

Go for it! Accountants are always in demand. As a previous poster said, I don't think you would want to work in a large corporate firm with new graduates but why not work from home? Is that feasible.

Or you could rent a hot desk, they are everywhere these days. This would give you the chance and motivation to leave the house whilst still being self employed. Good luck with your future choices.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 22-Jan-24 22:39:56

I think you need to consider the various types of accountancy qualification and whether you would need formal training in addition to professional exams. That would be the case if you want to be a chartered accountant. TBH I think you would find it very difficult to get a training contract at 60+. You might be happy with a lesser accounting qualification, working as a bookkeeper?

bytheway Tue 23-Jan-24 09:04:47

Thanks for all your input. I have done some research and I do think whilst I could happily do and pass the AAT qualifications I would almost certainly benefit from/need some work based experience to go alongside the studying. I’m not adverse to this so need to do look into this further. I am thankful and appreciative of your advice and comments.

Doodledog Tue 23-Jan-24 09:15:40

As you are financially comfortable, have you considered studying something creative or otherwise non-vocational? You can get funding up to age 60, so get in quickly if you’re looking at degree/ postgraduate level. You could maybe run classes in your subject, or write a book on it if you are looking to fill your time - education doesn’t have to lead to work to be valuable.

Redhead56 Tue 23-Jan-24 09:38:30

I attended university and got my degree when I was in my late thirties. I was getting a divorce and thought qualifications would be better to secure a good job. I married my DH just as I started university I carried on with the course.
I joined the family business as staff left so I went to college to gain more knowledge practically and for more office skills. I continued to study on a part time basis to fit in with work. I worked with my DH for over twenty five years now retired I do online study just to keep the mind active. I would say to anyone go for it work part time and study at the same time I am sure you will enjoy the challenge.

Harris27 Thu 25-Jan-24 11:12:45

I’m coming up 64 this week and thinking of retiring in two years time. Would never of thought about it in my fifties too young to retire. I would of gotten bored.

cc Thu 25-Jan-24 11:34:12

Germanshepherdsmum

I think you need to consider the various types of accountancy qualification and whether you would need formal training in addition to professional exams. That would be the case if you want to be a chartered accountant. TBH I think you would find it very difficult to get a training contract at 60+. You might be happy with a lesser accounting qualification, working as a bookkeeper?

I'm not clear what qualification you would be going for, but I would imagine a training contract for chartered accountancy would be tough to find in your 60's, it costs the company to provide training and they might well go for somone younger with a longer potential working life.
However there are alternative qualifications which could be achieved relatively quickly and which would make you very employable.

Scotgirlnick Thu 25-Jan-24 11:36:00

Liking numbers is a great asset. Many charities are crying out for people to be on the board as Treasurers. Book keeping is usually all that is needed. You could probably pick up the software training at a further education college

cc Thu 25-Jan-24 11:37:46

Sorry, I missed your last post which would have made a difference to my post, above. The AAT qualification makes sense, I'm not sure how widely available the course would be though. Perhaps the college where you study would be able to help with work experience?

pooohbear2811 Thu 25-Jan-24 11:58:29

there is always the open uni as well. My daughter, 45 this year has just spent 7 yrs part-time getting a maths degree this way. This was multi purpose, allowing her to stay at home and home educate a disabled child, and then provide child care for three younger ones as well. It gave her something to achieve, stretch the brain, and work towards getting a job once the children are older. Think she is in her last year this year. You could obviously do it full time.
But I agree a lot of charities would love you on board doing their accounts.
I went to Uni at 40 as looking for a new direction after my children got old enough to let themselves in after school. Done nothing with that degree due to circumstances when I finished but I am still proud of myself for having done it.
Good luck with whatever path you choose

Eil4 Thu 25-Jan-24 12:14:01

Hi, bytheway,
I’ve just spotted this but thought I’d add my two penny worth if that’s ok.
I retired fro teaching mid 60’s then did a diploma in counselling and psychotherapy. I’ve been working ever since and am now 76. Certainly a profession where age is a plus as people think it comes with wisdom!!

Eil4 Thu 25-Jan-24 12:16:57

By the way, retraining was the best thing I’ve ever done - loved the challenge