Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone on here in over 55s sheltered housing ?

(28 Posts)
Smurf52 Wed 24-Jan-24 18:12:27

Now that I’ve been diagnosed with a terminal lung disease (pulmonary fibrosis) I’ve been to see one locally. It seemed a very nice place. They currently have a studio ground floor flat available. It has a tiny kitchen and shower room. There’s also a back door with little patio area for me to sit with a cuppa and a pot plant or two.

I’m a young at heart 71 but swore I wouldn’t consider this option until I was at least 90! The facilities are great and the light and airy communal lounge is very modern, as opposed to some you see in old peoples homes usually.

Be interested to see any comments 😀

Cabbie21 Wed 24-Jan-24 18:17:10

From the details you have given it sounds a good option. Is it a rental? Are you renting now?
If buying, beware of management fees and other hidden costs.

HelterSkelter1 Wed 24-Jan-24 18:22:59

It sounds good. Rental? Sorry I know nothing about sheltered accommodation but reading with interest.

I am sorry about your diagnosis.

travelsafar Wed 24-Jan-24 18:31:33

I've just moved into a scheme like this....the week before Xmas. I love it. I feel warm, safe and cosy. I have a one bed flat with wet room and balcony. There are events held in communal lounge....coffee mornings, exercise classes, bingo, social groups, that do arts and crafts, scrabble nights and once a week they have lunch followed by entertainment.
You can join in or not it's up to you. I just go to exercise class and scrabble as I'm still involved with outside groups. But if I couldn't drive I would welcome the activities. I came from a large cold 3bed house with a big garden. It was a weight off my shoulders leaving it all behind, never felt happier since my DH died in 2021. Plus my family don't have tocworry bout me as help available if I need it.

welbeck Wed 24-Jan-24 18:35:34

sounds good, OP.
what concerns, if any, do you have ?

Mizuna Wed 24-Jan-24 18:38:27

I lived in an over-50's almshouse for two years. There was a community lounge but no-one used it, and people very much kept themselves to themselves. There was a laundry room for general use and we paid a basic rent plus an amount to cover all bills, which was good. I moved on because I had no private outside space and may have stayed there if I'd had my own patio area, although as I like a bit of adventure I did feel too 'looked after'! But then I had no medical diagnosis to take into consideration. The studio flat you've seen sounds lovely.

Juliet27 Wed 24-Jan-24 18:39:03

Ah travelsafar I’ve been wondering how you’re getting on in your new abode so it’s good to hear that the move has turned out to be perfect.

Grandmabatty Wed 24-Jan-24 18:39:52

It sounds like it might be beneficial for you, given your diagnosis. Please look into it carefully. I've heard of families having to pay because they can't sell the property. Is it a rental or are you buying because that could make a difference. Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best

HelterSkelter1 Wed 24-Jan-24 18:43:00

Travelsafar I remember your thread before Christmas. I am so pleased to hear your move has been successful.

bikergran Wed 24-Jan-24 18:43:15

I keep thinking about similar and selling my house(modern build but always seems cold) but then I would have to pay rent. So would eat into my equity. But always food for thought.

Luckygirl3 Wed 24-Jan-24 18:57:25

I am sorry about your diagnosis; but pleased you have found suitable accommodation.

keepcalmandcavachon Wed 24-Jan-24 19:12:46

The people I know who live in similar all feel safe and 'dip in and out' of the facilities as they fancy. I would say they all seem very content and are keen to tell you so! Seems very much worth looking into, I think I would.

silverlining48 Wed 24-Jan-24 19:19:55

Having outside space would be really important for me. Wouldn't consider otherwise. I would check the space gets the sun. Good luck 😉

Patsy70 Wed 24-Jan-24 20:03:41

Very sad to hear of your diagnosis Smurf52. In the circumstances, this new home sounds ideal, as long as there are no hidden costs. 💐
Travelsofar, so pleased to hear that you have settled in and are happy in your new home. 💐

Smurf52 Wed 24-Jan-24 20:11:11

Oops I seem to have put this thread on bereavement instead of ask a gran. Sausage fingers!

Smurf52 Wed 24-Jan-24 20:23:27

welbeck

sounds good, OP.
what concerns, if any, do you have ?

Only concern is the complex is in a high crime area. The manager has assured me they have not been affected by this (but then, would she tell me this?) she says once inside it’s an oasis of calm and I tend to agree with her.

To those that have asked it is a rental property. Any hidden costs have been factored in.

I’ve inadvertently put this under Bereavement not Ask a Gran, so when I went to look for my post I couldn’t find it! Anyone know how I can put this post over into Ask a Gran and delete one?

pinkprincess Wed 24-Jan-24 21:24:53

Thankyou for this subject. I am currently considering this.I am 79, and live alone in a three bedroomed house.I also have COPD but manage independently
I have family living locally who help when they can.I know this house is now getting too much or me, expensive to heat and decorate with steep stairs and high ceilinged rooms.The area has gone downhill vastly since I moved into here with my husband 55 years ago.It is too full of memories though but I feel for my own sake I should let go of it very soon.

pascal30 Wed 24-Jan-24 21:28:58

It sounds lovely because of the community aspect..I would just check the aspect of the patio area.. make sure it is south or west facing because it will also affect the interior ofthe studio. I always take a compass with me when I look at properties...

Cabbie21 Wed 24-Jan-24 22:10:49

Thanks for coming back to us. I think it sounds like a good idea, Smurf52

travelsafar, , so glad you are happy in your new home.

Cressy Wed 24-Jan-24 22:20:47

Smurf52 I think you have to report your post and ask for it to be moved. Hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

welbeck Wed 24-Jan-24 22:27:30

Smurf, just click on report in your OP, and ask GN to move it for you.
when searching for it, did you look under,
'i'm on' ?
that should have shown it.
the flat sounds good.

travelsafar Wed 24-Jan-24 22:49:49

Thanks for good wishes. I agree, check the sun. I am lucky I am on the corner of the building so have sun all morning into early afternoon. In fact today the patio door to balcony open until about 2pm when I had to go out and I sat out there with my morning coffee. 🌞🌞😊

Smurf52 Fri 26-Jan-24 18:23:15

Thanks everyone. I have reported that I want this discussion moved. I’ve not checked if I get the sun, but to be honest every property I’ve ever rented or owned was always north facing so I’m kinda used to it! If I get the sun it’ll be a bonus ☺️

Glorianny Fri 26-Jan-24 18:52:31

My mother lived in sheltered housing for almost 14 years and was very happy there.
I'd check a few things. There will be a service charge. I would ask to see past years and how much the charge has increased each year. There were substantial increases in my mum's place and some of the residents struggled to pay them.
As part of that what happens about replacement equipment and furniture in communal areas. Is there a fund to cover this?

What support is there and who organises things?
Mum had a resident warden when she moved in. This was changed and there was a non-resident manager. Some of them were great. One in particular organised all sorts of things. I'm told he has now retired and the activities have stopped.

I don't want to discourage you. I'm absolutely certain that living in her flat ensured my mum a long life. But I think you need to plan your financial circumstances carefully.
Good luck!

TerriBull Fri 26-Jan-24 19:22:03

I think my mother's experience was pretty similar to how Glorianny has described her mothers. After my father died, I think my mum felt insecure, sometimes in her road there would be people knocking on doors offering to redo resident's driveways,she really didn't like answering the door if she wasn't expecting anyone. She told me that she wanted to sell the house and move into sheltered accommodation, In fact I think she already had a couple of friends, widows I suspect, who had done that very thing. She asked me to go looking with her and we found a great block right opposite the sea.

The charges were quite steep but I could see where the money went, a resident warden who was very nice and helpful, the common parts were beautifully maintained, lifts of course, resident's lounge, laundry etc. There were quite a few social events organised, outings to NT gardens, afternoon teas out, occasional theatre trips that sort of thing, she also had social events through her church, I was quite pleased she kept herself busy with coffee mornings etc. It was what she wanted at that time in her life, aged between 80 and 87. She was happy there and also importantly to me she felt safe and secure.