Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Nets or voiles?

(28 Posts)
Smurf52 Fri 26-Jan-24 18:15:17

I’m moving into a ground floor flat that is on a corner plot. One lounge window faces a busy road, pedestrians and cars. I want the privacy of having nets up but don’t want it to darken the room too much. Which have other GNs gone for with the above criteria?

grannypiper Fri 26-Jan-24 18:23:59

I love nets but i think voiles are better at letting the light in.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 26-Jan-24 18:31:58

Nets are a bit old fashioned I think.

Knitandnatter Fri 26-Jan-24 18:36:52

Voiles are so much more stylish in my opinion. As GSM says, nets are rather old fashioned so go for something very plain.

MissInterpreted Fri 26-Jan-24 20:01:03

I also think nets are a bit old-fashioned, so I'd opt for voiles.

M0nica Fri 26-Jan-24 20:03:33

Plantation shutters on the bottom half of the windows.

A friend cut out squares of thart obscuring film with a simple pattern and placed them along the bottom half of the window, with 3 or 4 inches between them.

Just make these suggestions as nets and voiles are nott he lonly answer to your problem.

CocoPops Fri 26-Jan-24 20:04:52

There are nice blinds to choose these days. Some will let the light in.

annodomini Fri 26-Jan-24 20:16:05

When living on a terrace house close to the pavement, I made cream voile curtains for the front windows. You can get them in a variety. I also put them in the bathroom which did not have obscure glazing.

annodomini Fri 26-Jan-24 20:16:28

Variety of colours!

Blossoming Fri 26-Jan-24 20:19:09

We don’t have either these days as we’re not overlooked, but our previous cottage opened onto the street opposite the village school. We had voiles, there are some lovely ones available. We were generous with the width so there was a full gather,

Retread Fri 26-Jan-24 20:24:31

My daughter has a film on the bottom half of a window that faces a busy street, I was dubious but it looks so smart with clean lines. And no curtain washing! There are choices of patterns. Example on link below:

www.windowfilm.co.uk/obscure-glass-window-film

Urmstongran Fri 26-Jan-24 20:25:24

Voiles here.

Primrose53 Fri 26-Jan-24 22:12:23

Retread

My daughter has a film on the bottom half of a window that faces a busy street, I was dubious but it looks so smart with clean lines. And no curtain washing! There are choices of patterns. Example on link below:

www.windowfilm.co.uk/obscure-glass-window-film

I like these. I saw them several years ago in Spain and they looked really stylish.

25Avalon Fri 26-Jan-24 22:15:28

You can get lovely blinds that whilst letting full light in stop anyone seeing it. Otherwise I prefer voiles to net.

silverlining48 Fri 26-Jan-24 23:10:28

Voiles better than nets but the film can look nice. My dd has them.

Chestnut Sat 27-Jan-24 00:24:36

I had front facing windows fitted with window film which you can see clearly through. Curtains are only needed after dark as normal.
alternativetonetcurtains.co.uk/
A clean and modern look if you don't want the bother of covering the windows during daytime.

OldFrill Sat 27-Jan-24 00:47:42

I use voiles due to the brightness of the sun. Nets are so much more up and coming. Very 21st century modern to be.

NotSpaghetti Sat 27-Jan-24 01:01:35

My daughter has a window film in a strip too Primrose53. It's smart but really hers only works as the room is really stylish in a very "clean" way. It could look like a business.

I don't like nets or voiles particularly but there are some very nice modern takes on traditional designs out there.

Knoll have some lovely ones - this for example:
www.knoll.com/knolltextileproductdetail/Filigree

Or MYB textiles - for example this one:
www.mybtextiles.com/collections/sale/large-spot

shysal Sat 27-Jan-24 09:37:02

Day and night blinds are modern, and popular these days. The gaps close for night time. DD has one at her front kitchen window and is pleased with it.

Mel1967 Sat 27-Jan-24 09:43:34

I really don’t like nets or voiles, so don’t have either.
We have privacy film downstairs at the front - this is a second reception room.
Our lounge doesn’t have anything up at the windows - just bi-fold doors into the garden.
Our bedroom - just heavy curtains.

Freya5 Sat 27-Jan-24 10:26:01

I have venetian blinds in a similar window situation. Would never nowadays have nets or voils. They have to come down to be washed, blinds you can clean in situ.

NotSpaghetti Sat 27-Jan-24 14:04:32

We took ours down once we became "acclimatised". Planted an amelanchier in front of the south facing window. That does a great job in my opinion.

Norah Sat 27-Jan-24 14:52:24

Street side, pretty white nets, drapery drawn across when needed for warmth and privacy.

greenmossgiel Sat 27-Jan-24 15:16:29

I have quite heavy Nottingham lace curtains in my front windows, which look out onto the street. Our cottage is Edwardian and the curtains seem right, somehow.

Tenko Sat 27-Jan-24 15:28:18

I’d go for shutters on the bottom half of the window.
I don’t like nets , they’re quite old fashioned and have to be taken down regularly to be washed as do voiles .
Luckily I’m not overlooked so don’t need them .